16' Malibu teaser

Fgts

Do you really believe that the ATS and CTS platform is profitable for GM? The plant has been idled for weeks to clear out excess inventory (the fixed costs of that plant don't go away just because production has stopped). GM has had to pile on the incentives to move the metal. I'm wondering what that move will ultimately do to the average transaction price of these cars.

I'm sure that the Camaro will help with costs, but I've read on another site that, even if the Camaro sells well, the total volume on that platform will be a little over half of what GM needs for it to make money.

The reason the plant has been idled is because in their infinite wisdom, GM massively overproduced the versions of the CTS/ATS that people don't want (2.0T) which they are already overcharging for and are still very reluctant to put any incentives on them.

The only thing they can do to bring the ATPs up to where they should be to make the platform profitable is another redesign that hopefully people will buy.

The only thing they can do to bring the ATPs up to where they should be to make the platform profitable is another redesign that hopefully people will buy.

How about this, make the ATS platform available for Buick and Chevy to use...I think a Grand National and a SS sedan or whatever that run about 35-45K would sell in decent numbers to help with profits.

That is what the problem is with Caddy...it makes no sense to sell Caddy's on their own platforms since they'll never see the return on that investment. Better off making a really good cheaper platform you can make Buicks or Chevy's on and also make Caddys on also.

Oh sorta like what Ford is doing...they have solid platforms that get driven to the next level by Lincoln...

How about this, make the ATS platform available for Buick and Chevy to use...I think a Grand National and a SS sedan or whatever that run about 35-45K would sell in decent numbers to help with profits.

That is what the problem is with Caddy...it makes no sense to sell Caddy's on their own platforms since they'll never see the return on that investment. Better off making a really good cheaper platform you can make Buicks or Chevy's on and also make Caddys on also.

Oh sorta like what Ford is doing...they have solid platforms that get driven to the next level by Lincoln...

In other words, exactly what we've all been saying for months now!

But isn't that going to run up even MORE costs?

I thought that the problem with that approach is that making the platform cheap enough to be used on Chevrolets and Buicks requires compromises that make it less competitive against comparable German cars. (This is assuming, of course, that GM management still wants Cadillac to be the American BMW.)

The BMW 3-Series and 5-Series, and the Mercedes C-Class and E-Class, don't share platforms with less expensive brethren, which means that they can avoid those compromises.

Edited by grbeck

What would a redesign do to help ATPs? There's nothing terribly wrong with the cars as is. The only thing that would raise ATPs is to cut production and offer some higher end expensive options like the Revel Audio system that Lincoln is doing for $4K. Of course that just makes it even more difficult to recover the platform costs.

I thought that the problem with that approach is that making the platform cheap enough to be used on Chevrolets and Buicks requires compromises that make it less competitive against comparable German cars.

It might make them less competitive on a racetrack but they'd sell a hell of a lot more units with better margins AND significantly lower platform costs.

Once you have the high volume bread and butter stuff squared away and you have profits to work with, then you can pursue a few niche vehicles and price them accordingly without worrying about volume.

I believe something is in the works along those lines, along with Camaro.

What current Cadillac is on it's own platform?. if a Chevy/Buick is on the Caddys platform, won't that make it an great Chevy/Buick instead of the other way around and making a crappy Cadillac? .

Where's those "dynamic" Lincolns?

It might make them less competitive on a racetrack but they'd sell a hell of a lot more units with better margins AND significantly lower platform costs.

Once you have the high volume bread and butter stuff squared away and you have profits to work with, then you can pursue a few niche vehicles and price them accordingly without worrying about volume.

You're correct, but that approach just won't do when top management suffers from a serious case of "BMW Envy."

Edited by grbeck
  • Like 1

The reason the plant has been idled is because in their infinite wisdom, GM massively overproduced the versions of the CTS/ATS that people don't want (2.0T) which they are already overcharging for and are still very reluctant to put any incentives on them.

As someone mentioned before a redesign will drive cost up on something that haven't been paid off yet, the ATP is being met .

The engine problem as i think GM is aware is the output and engine configuration you get isn't on par with some competition in which Cadillac is getting their own versions of GM engines.

What would a redesign do to help ATPs? There's nothing terribly wrong with the cars as is. The only thing that would raise ATPs is to cut production and offer some higher end expensive options like the Revel Audio system that Lincoln is doing for $4K. Of course that just makes it even more difficult to recover the platform costs.

It's simple, their BMW chaser formula isn't working.

Besides, I'm using GM logic here

The engine problem as i think GM is aware is the output and engine configuration you get isn't on par with some competition in which Cadillac is getting their own versions of GM engines.

If you think the problem is engine output then you're just as clueless as GM.

What current Cadillac is on it's own platform?. if a Chevy/Buick is on the Caddys platform, won't that make it an great Chevy/Buick instead of the other way around and making a crappy Cadillac? .

Your talking out of both sides of your mouth now....

The point is that Luxury cars can be successfully made using regular platforms (see most Lexus' and Infiniti models) and don't need their own bespoke platforms to be successful.

Caddy would be better off coming out with a FWD car based off the Malibu instead of the ATS as its entry level car.

Still no one has answered what they'll do with Impala.

If Malibu is going to be just as big as the current Impy, do they move the latter to the big RWD platform?

I actually would not have a problem with that on either the consumer or (superficially) the business end...

Good question. I haven't heard hide nor hair about Impala. It's been out for what 2 years and now what, move to another platform? I could say Impala doesn't get much air time but same with Taurus. :headscratch:

Good question. I haven't heard hide nor hair about Impala. It's been out for what 2 years and now what, move to another platform? I could say Impala doesn't get much air time but same with Taurus. :headscratch:

Expect an Omega big Chevy to replace all 4 cars (Impala,SS,Caprice,fleet Impala).

Five.

LaCrosse.

Because where the Malibu goes, there goes the Regal.

EDIT for clarification: I mean to say that you may as well add a big Buick into the program.

Actually the Lacrosse is staying fwd as the largest Epslion platform car, just the Omega Buick (probably Park Avenue) will be above it.