Ford Motor Company March 2015 sales down 3%

How does the extra "needless" weight affect sales? It doesn't. Nobody looks at curb weights or 0-60 times on a midsized family sedan.

But they do pay attention to the feel of the doors when you close them and the 'vault-like' interior of said vehicles.

you assume the better selling competition have issues with NVH because of their Lighter Weight, the truth is the Camry and Accord always beat Ford in NVH and they are lighter than the Fusion. I guess they have a magic Wand.

I am Blown away by the Responses, all I hear is Denial, excuse, and displacement.

When the Camaro weighed 200lbs more than the 2014 mustang it was called a Pig, Boners were proud of the "Superior" agility of the mustang vs it's heavier foe.

Where is the outrage about the weight of the Fusion?

Like I said 10 pages ago what will ford's response be the New Malibu's lighter weight?

Edited by Biker16
  • Like 1

you assume the better selling competition have issues with NVH because of their Lighter Weight, the truth is the Camry and Accord always beat Ford in NVH and they are lighter than the Fusion. I guess they have a magic Wand.

Let's revisit this issue when Ford brings to market an architecture engineered from the ground up to be sold on both sides of the Atlantic.

quick question....prove they sell better because they are "lighter"...and by TRIVIAL amounts...but keep beating that horse Biker....also, enjoy replacing belts when cam chains soldier on......( IIRC it used to be the major reason their engines were deemed smoother..) and PPS, get back to us in regards to road noise and bump thump...

the truth is the Camry and Accord always beat Ford in NVH and they are lighter than the Fusion. I guess they have a magic Wand.

You wouldn't know the truth if it bit you.

MotorTrend seems to agree. I didn't go looking for others but no reason to think they're different.

It's probably the quietest car in the group, with minimal wind and road noise intruding on the cabin.

Aneekr, I know for a fact you took stats in college. You can't get a degree in engineering without taking stats. Heck, you can't *understand* engineering without understanding certain fundamentals of statistics.

Assuming, first of all, that the curb weights you're reporting are even remotely reflective of the most popular configurations---much less a sales-weighted average, the correlation between weights and sales is -.27. That's predictive of absolutely nothing.

---

And if curb weight is not even remotely connected to sales success, please explain to me why it should be a higher priority for Ford than other more important factors?

You are correct about coursework in statistics and random variables being a part of engineering curriculums, and about lack of any direct relationship between curb weights of midsize sedan models and sales trends. I noted the latter in post #269. While I did take a business statistics course, I did not pursue studies in any engineering field, nor have I worked as an engineer.

Anyway, weight reduction for passenger cars and light trucks is a very high priority for all automakers, including Ford. Regulatory factors - especially those related to emissions and fuel consumption - are particularly significant here, but weight reduction results in numerous other benefits, as Biker16 mentioned in this thread. There are numerous tracks devoted to the topic at SAE 2015 World Congress, which begins next week in Detroit.

So, you are saying the point you were trying to make with your numbers is that your point is false? :headscratch:

No. The point is clearly stated in the first sentence of post #269. The examples that follow corroborate it.

So, about that lighter Mazda6...

Yes, I know they don't produce it to the scale that they produce the top five sellers here, but still... since it was brought up repeatedly, there should be something said about it, right?

GJ (third generation) Mazda6 offers the most engaging driving dynamics in its class, due in no small part to Mazda's holistic SKYACTIV strategy that emphasizes mass optimization. Mazda could easily sell more of these excellent cars in the U.S. market if not for capacity constraints at their assembly plants in Hiroshima and Hofu, Japan.

Edited by aneekr

When the Camaro weighed 200lbs more than the 2014 mustang it was called a Pig, Boners were proud of the "Superior" agility of the mustang vs it's heavier foe

Where is the outrage about the weight of the Fusion?

Are you seriously trying to compare the reaction to the weight of a family sedan, where weight is irrelevant to pretty much every buyer, with the reaction to the weight of a performance car, where weight is a key factor in the car's performance? Seriously?

Edited by SoonerLS
  • Like 2

I dont get why all the argument about weight? It seems everyone here wants heavier cars. Lighter is better. Does it sell more because its lighter? Its not the only factor but is plays a roll. If I remenber correctly Mullaly's goal was to build the safest , most reliable and most fuel efficient cars. Being lighter is a key aspect of that goal. It seems like a lot of arguing for arguments sake going on here lately.

• Like 1

But it has to be taken in context. Is it better to have a 5 star crash rating or a 4 star rating with 100 lbs less weight? Is it better to have the quiestest interior or noisy but 100 lbs lighter? TANSTAAFL. Is it worth spending an extra $1K per vehicle to save 200 lbs?

Weight is a factor but it's one of many and outside of high performance sports cars or work trucks it's just not as important as the other things.

• Like 1