Honda discontinues Crossstour, moves Accord Hybrid production to Japan

PREMiERdrum

2014_honda_crosstour_sideview.jpg

Honda will soon stop making the Ohio-built Crosstour, marking the end of a brief life for a model that never caught on with consumers.

Also, in other production news announced yesterday, Honda said it will move work on the Honda Accord Hybrid from Marysville, Ohio, to a plant in Japan.

http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/business/2015/04/08/honda-to-discontinue-crosstour.html

Edited by PREMiERdrum

Crosstour will be replaced by a more conventional SUV... more like Edge.

http://world.honda.com/news/2015/4150331Auto-Shanghai-2015/index.html

01.jpg

You sure about that? From the link...

Honda will exhibit the world premiere of a concept model for a new SUV exclusively developed for the Chinese market.

With HR-V, CR-V, and Pilot, along with Odyssey and Ridgeline, I think don't see Honda investing in another utility model.

But Ford should sell a Fusion wagon in North America. Yeah right.

I love wagons. I checked out the Crosstour when it first arrived and it didn't have near the practicality of a wagon. The cargo area was cramped and the weird Prius/Aztek/Volt hatch window was useless for visibility. The price was also far too high compared to equivalent models.

I love wagons. I checked out the Crosstour when it first arrived and it didn't have near the practicality of a wagon. The cargo area was cramped and the weird Prius/Aztek/Volt hatch window was useless for visibility. The price was also far too high compared to equivalent models.

Yet some on this site were using the Crosstour and is mere existence as reasoning as to why Ford needs a wagon.

Yet some on this site were using the Crosstour and is mere existence as reasoning as to why Ford needs a wagon.

I didn't know that. I left out that it was really unattractive - like a cross between a suppository and what a 70's Chevy Monza would have looked like if they had built a 4-door hatchback. The over-sized grill on the front also didn't help.

Crosstour was an atomic bomb. Honda flops too and good to see them cut bait on this pile.

Trendy, bubble-like SUV's like Edge/Murano are passe' and out of style, or never were, in Crosstour's case. Ute buyers want more room, not just bloat, in a mid size. Why get something so big with only 2 rows of seats? Murano is out of style too, not selling as well as Rouge and Pathfinder, and Toyota is killing off the Venza/FJ.

Edge is past its prime, too. Ford has a whole plant making, in my opinion, dead weight, [Edge, MKX, MKT, Flex], while dealers want more Escapes and Explorers. Why not build what buyers want? I predict the 4 "dealer lot rocks" to be gone in a few years.

Edited by 630land

What market is the Edge for, anyway? Ford has a whole plant making, in my opinion, dead weight, [Edge, MKX, MKT, Flex], while dealers want more Escapes and Explorers. Why not build what buyers want? I predict the 4 "dealer lot rocks" to be gone in a few years.

Are you joking? Have you seen Edge sales numbers? The thing has been a hit from day one and is an important peg in Ford's utility stragegy.

Day 1 for Edge was ages ago, and dealers here have posted that they need more Explorers and Escapes, not Edge, which only sold 12k a month last year, down this year. Is that enough for a whole plant? The other 3 products don't justify it.

Should make Oakville plant more flexible, to make what sells, and not "pet projects". Question was asked where could Ford build more products that sell to meet demand, well, why not Oakville? No way will they build a new plant in NA again.

Edited by 630land

Day 1 for Edge was ages ago, and dealers here have posted that they need more Explorers and Escapes, not Edge, which only sold 12k a month last year, down this year. Is that enough for a whole plant? The other 3 products don't justify it.

Should make Oakville plant more flexible, to make what sells, and not "pet projects". Question was asked where could Ford build more products that sell to meet demand, well, why not Oakville? No way will they build a new plant in NA again.

Dude, put down the pipe.

Edge is in the middle of a MCE - the 2015 model should do even better than the previous model. New MKX is due later this year. And both will be exported globally from Oakville. There is more than enough product for that plant even without MKT and Flex.

So Ford should walk away from ~144,000 profitable sales "just because?" 144,000 sales in the last year before a complete redesign when obviously sales would be down?

Have you seen a Murano lately? Sales of it have dropped because they make it uglier and uglier each generation (how they manage to pull that off, I'm not sure).

Edge is in the middle of a MCE - the 2015 model should do even better than the previous model. New MKX is due later this year. And both will be exported globally from Oakville. There is more than enough product for that plant even without MKT and Flex.

But a plant that only produces one vehicle is useless, don't you know that?*

*thats when you ignore DTP, Louiville, and the individual lines in KCAP and KTP. Might as well close Avon Lake as well since the e-series died

Have you seen a Murano lately? Sales of it have dropped because they make it uglier and uglier each generation (how they manage to pull that off, I'm not sure).

All so called "crossover" vehicles in the Murano's price and size class (Venza, Crosstour, Edge, Santa Fe Sport, Sorento) look hideous. Nissan just applied the ugly stick more extensively than the others.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder aneekr.

Edge volume in the EIGHTH and final year for the platform was 109k.

Do you have *any* idea how profitable that vehicle is? If ATPs on that thing are $30k, you're looking at $3.27 billion dollars in revenue from a platform that has been around for eight years, in its final year.

Keep going, Edge global sales as wellas MKX Nth America and China sales could push revenue closer to $5 Billion.

Add in MKC Nth America and China exports... at least another billion or two..

That's $6 Billion or $7 Billion revenue that someone thinks won't be missed?