Five Reasons Ford Should Bring Ranger Back to U.S.

And if Tacoma can get a clean version of Hilux 3.0 I-4 diesel, sales will be much better.

Not if it end up costing more than a F-150 or Tundra.

We'll see how GM and Nissan do with their midsize diesel... I'm of the opinion that average midsize pickup truck buyer in the US is mainly concerned about price. Size is secondary concern. Capability is probably distant third. Fuel economy is way down the list.

Not if it end up costing more than a F-150 or Tundra.

We'll see how GM and Nissan do with their midsize diesel... I'm of the opinion that average midsize pickup truck buyer in the US is mainly concerned about price. Size is secondary concern. Capability is probably distant third. Fuel economy is way down the list.

Follow my reasoning here, Tacoma starts at $20,995 which is $8,000 less than Tundra

so there's plenty of room for a 3.0 I-4 diesel at around $3,000 option (a llittle less than FCA's 3.0 V6)

GM is not a good example to follow, Colorado was heavily modified from the global versions, made wider

and also fitted with longer beds so the truck is now very much a hybrid of US tand global approaches.

Tacoma is a better litmus to activity in the misd sized truck market, if the leader with 12,000 sales per month

only does modest make overs and chooses noit to introduce a diesel, you can bet the pickings are slim.

U

gly as sin.

You're right. Of course, it's the previous model, and done privately.

Here's a second generation render:

http://truckyeah.jalopnik.com/despite-flood-of-rumors-ford-says-no-small-pickups-no-1644300119

rgynpqhe9ahjppzdh8vl.jpg

http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2014/10/ford-eyes-return-to-small-pickup-segment.html

Has a fine rendering by Mark Stehrenberger. :)

Edited by Edstock

http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/04/22/us-gm-pickups-idUSKBN0ND2EH20150422

(Reuters) - General Motors Co's return to selling smaller pickups in the United States has resuscitated a moribund market segment, but new data highlights the risk that the automaker's new trucks are cannibalizing sales of higher-priced models.

Since the launch last autumn of the Chevrolet Colorado and GMC Canyon, the midsize pickup segment has grown to more than 2 percent of the total U.S. car and light truck market from 1.4 percent last summer. Some industry executives believe the segment could double annual sales to 500,000 vehicles, which would have been 3 percent of last year's market.

However, beneath the encouraging numbers for the Colorado and Canyon are some less positive trends, said IHS Automotive analyst Tom Libby. Nine of the top 10 vehicles previously owned by buyers of the Colorado and Canyon are GM cars and trucks.

Owners of full-size Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra trucks made up more than 16 percent of the consumers who switched into both smaller GM pickups, according to IHS data.

"That was ominous," Libby said. "There may be a deeper issue here” related to the potential for undercutting sales of higher-margin models.

Libby said it was early in the life of the new midsized trucks and the actual number of consumers who switched from other GM vehicles was small by comparison.

GM officials said the IHS data fails to take into account new buyers and Canyon marketing manager Kenn Bakowski said more than half of all the sales of the new trucks are buyers new to the company.

Edited by Biker16

http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/04/22/us-gm-pickups-idUSKBN0ND2EH20150422

Owners of full-size Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra trucks made up more than 16 percent of the consumers who switched into both smaller GM pickups, according to IHS data.

"That was ominous," Libby said. "There may be a deeper issue here related to the potential for undercutting sales of higher-margin models.

Don't pick and choose. You forgot this section to have in bold case.

• Like 1

See, GM kept production of the Colorado/Canyon limited until it knew what the market wanted in terms of product mix,

those GM customers prepared to switch products could increase significantly depending on the product mix going forward

where Colorado/Canyon then begins to attract more of those customers away from Silverado/Ssierra and possibly Equinox.

Don't forget that GM's combined truck sales including mid size only just beat F Series in March with Ford not back up to full production.

See, GM kept production of the Colorado/Canyon limited until it knew what the market wanted in terms of product mix,

those GM customers prepared to switch products could increase significantly depending on the product mix going forward

where Colorado/Canyon then begins to attract more of those customers away from Silverado/Ssierra and possibly Equinox.

Don't forget that GM's combined truck sales including mid size only just beat F Series in March with Ford not back up to full production.

GM still out sales Ford because of those high margin SUVs they share with their pickups.

if I am GM i always include the volume of my large SUVS with my large Pickups, when comparing to Ford's F-series, which is Really 2 separate platforms at this point.

Edited by Biker16

Don't pick and choose. You forgot this section to have in bold case.

They also said potential. potential doesn't Equal is.

GM with their midsize trucks have strong entrants in a newly fast growing segment, not strong entrants in a slow growing to segment.

Follow my reasoning here, Tacoma starts at $20,995 which is $8,000 less than Tundra

so there's plenty of room for a 3.0 I-4 diesel at around $3,000 option (a llittle less than FCA's 3.0 V6)

GM is not a good example to follow, Colorado was heavily modified from the global versions, made wider

and also fitted with longer beds so the truck is now very much a hybrid of US tand global approaches.

Tacoma is a better litmus to activity in the misd sized truck market, if the leader with 12,000 sales per month

only does modest make overs and chooses noit to introduce a diesel, you can bet the pickings are slim.

Well, we are talking about Tacoma which is also a US-centric product and doesn't use Hilux's IMV platform so GM is basically following Toyota's playbook. It's not something Ford is likely to do under the current regime.

That aside, the point I made about midsize truck buyers is that they are primarily motivated by lower acquisition costs. That is true of both private and fleet buyers. So $3,000 additional costs in a Tacoma is a hurdle in a market segment that is very sensitive about acquisition costs. And I think you have way undershot the cost delta of a diesel Tacoma... Toyota doesn't sell any diesel in the US so this would be a major investment for the company. Starting with supply chain, and all the way down to certification issues, which most likely will be problematic because no one at Toyota USA will know a thing about how to manage the EPA process for diesel. There are no suitable automatic transmission in the Toyota inventory, no urea injection parts to raid. Everything will be starting from scratch and they will need to hire a full team of engineers. Toyota will be losing money like crazy if it only charges $3,000 for a diesel engine option on Tacoma. The alternative is to buy an off-the-shelve engine, like Chrysler did or what Nissan is planning to do. That seems very un-Toyota like approach. Just my 2 cents on this subject.

What was Ford's profit for 2008-2013 compared to GM? You missed the "consistent" part.

lets play this game with someone other than GM?

how about Toyota.

http://www.toyota-global.com/investors/financial_data/financial_data.html

well toyota over the last 14 years has made

20,376,600,000,000 yen

that Equals at todays exchange rate

$171,102,527,500.21

171 billion dollars.

I sit eagerly waiting for the excuses to roll in.

Edited by Biker16

lets play this game with someone other than GM?

Please let me know how you accounted for the radical differences between JCB and Fed policy re: exchange rates, the Japanese domestic market's impact on Toyota profits, Toyota's unrelated business ventures, the differences in labor costs, and so forth, in order to arrive at a point where a comparison between Ford & Toyota reflects business strategy and not external factors not under the control of either company.

Those who want a 'new Ranger' so bad should go look at the new Tacoma, Colorado, and whatever and see how much bigger they are these days then the good old 'Mini-Truckin' days. The ones demanding a Ranger want the 1993 size, but that isn't what's being sold across the street. And look at the MSRP too, they aren't the $15,999 special anymore.

BTW: Toyota makes $$$ from a broad range of products, not just from Tacomas. Oh, and where are all the new Tundras that were supposed to "knock off" F-150, Silverado and Ram dominance?

BTW 2: "Newly fast growing" my a%%%%%%%%%!

RAM Brand manager said it best about new Dakota, essentially "Why bother?"

Edited by 630land

1980s/90s Rangers were dirt cheap, but then didn't meet crash standards. Trucks had lower ones, along with MPG. Now, standards are tougher.

If there was a new Ranger, that was same size as Colorado, the purists with 1993 Rangers* would scream 'bloody murder'. "Where is my $8995 Ranger!?"

*Bought used in 1998, because "I never buy new cars"

Edited by 630land

What was Ford's profit per unit vs. GM's in 2014?

I thought the goal was profit, not profit per unit?

It's not like ford is a premium brand.

Biker, regarding your deference to toyota....you just got OWNED.......again.

Of course 121 billion dollars doesn't matter.