Five Reasons Ford Should Bring Ranger Back to U.S.

fire up the M5OD line again.

That's not possible.

And the reason why Ford can turn a profit with the Escape at lower prices is because of how much it shares with the Focus.

Finally, where are you going to build the Ranger?

Here's a list of all of Ford's NA assembly plants, and what's built in them:

Oakville: Edge, MKX, MKT, Flex

Michigan Assembly: Focus, C-Max

Flat Rock: Fusion, Mustang, *Taurus, *Continental

Dearborn: F150

Chicago: Explorer, PIU, PI

Ohio Assembly: E-Series, F650, F750

Kentucky Truck: Super Duty, Expedition, Navigator

Louisville: Escape, MKC

Kansas City: Transit, F150

Hermosillo: Fusion, MKZ

Cuautitlan: Fiesta

Among them, the only plant with capacity is Ohio, and given what's already assembled there, I think it would be very difficult for Ford to turn a profit on a product like the Ranger if it was built in that plant.

• Like 1

That's not possible.

And the reason why Ford can turn a profit with the Escape at lower prices is because of how much it shares with the Focus.

Finally, where are you going to build the Ranger?

Here's a list of all of Ford's NA assembly plants, and what's built in them:

Oakville: Edge, MKX, MKT, Flex

Michigan Assembly: Focus, C-Max

Flat Rock: Fusion, Mustang, *Taurus, *Continental

Dearborn: F150

Chicago: Explorer, PIU, PI

Ohio Assembly: E-Series, F650, F750

Kentucky Truck: Super Duty, Expedition, Navigator

Louisville: Escape, MKC

Kansas City: Transit, F150

Hermosillo: Fusion, MKZ

Cuautitlan: Fiesta

Among them, the only plant with capacity is Ohio, and given what's already assembled there, I think it would be very difficult for Ford to turn a profit on a product like the Ranger if it was built in that plant.

As for the M5OD, anything is possible. Heck, if M5OD can't be done, use the manual from the Mustang. It would only further amortized the cost of the transmission itself and make the Ranger even sportier. Its not like it needs to be rated for 10,000 gvwr or something.

Why couldnt it be built in Ohio? The line is set up for rwd bof commercial vehicles. Sounds like a perfect match for Ranger / Wrangled Fighter. A lot better match than trying to assemble it on a line meant for unibody fwd vehicles like the Focus anyways.

Edited by Sevensecondsuv

All kidding aside, where was the M5OD last built? Ford sold a bazillion of them between Ranger, Explorer, F150, and Thunderbird. Did it have its own plant stateside, was just one line at a larger transmission plant, or did Ford just buy them from Mazda who made them in Japan. Seems like Ford used way more of those things than Mazda ever did.

As for the M5OD, anything is possible. Heck, if M5OD can't be done, use the manual from the Mustang. It would only further amortized the cost of the transmission itself and make the Ranger even sportier. Its not like it needs to be rated for 10,000 gvwr or something.

Why couldnt it be built in Ohio? The line is set up for rwd bof commercial vehicles. Sounds like a perfect match for Ranger / Wrangled Fighter.

You can't 'dust off' the M5OD line. That transmission was built by Mazda, not Ford, and that plant is building something else now.

And it's not a question of it being impossible to build the Ranger in Ohio. It's a question of it being unprofitable to build the Ranger in Ohio. It's not, AFAIK, a very efficient plant, and if you want to turn a profit on a product like the Ranger, you need a more efficient setup.

Edited by RichardJensen

So is the Mexican version not the ROW ranger? I didn't think the ROW one came with a NA 2.5L.....

I wonder how much expense/hassle is involved with importing one. The price is certainly attractive starting at $20k for a 4 door.

Also it has a 5 spd manual transmission. I wonder if the old M5OD lives on after all.....

Edited by Sevensecondsuv

So is the Mexican version not the ROW ranger? I didn't think the ROW one came with a NA 2.5L.....

I wonder how much expense/hassle is involved with importing one. The price is certainly attractive starting at $20k for a 4 door.

Also it has a 5 spd manual transmission. I wonder if the old M5OD lives on after all.....

They still make the 2.5 NA petrol but it disappeared from the Aussie market because the fuel economy was terrible,

I'll qualify that by saying relative to diesel - our light truck market has transformed into an almost exclusive diesel....

I'm surprised they don't also have diesels in Mexico, even if only the 2.2 - it's a nice little engine,

I drove a crew cab manual for a few weeks and averaged around 8 l/100 km (US 27 mpg)

Edited by jpd80

Chicken tax can't be that hard to get around.

Yes it is. They closed the 'cab-chassis' loophole in 1980 (bed would be shipped separately, bolted on in the US). The only way trucks can circumvent the chicken tax is with substantial local assembly.

Mexico does not have the chicken tax and may have an FTA with the country where the Ranger is assembled. It has been observed that a US/Thailand FTA would open the door to US importation of a Thai built Ranger, but I doubt that will happen for a number of reasons, not the least of which is the high cost of transportation (there's also the suitability of the global Ranger's NVH and options to a market for which it was never intended).

Yes it is. They closed the 'cab-chassis' loophole in 1980 (bed would be shipped separately, bolted on in the US). The only way trucks can circumvent the chicken tax is with substantial local assembly.

Mexico does not have the chicken tax and may have an FTA with the country where the Ranger is assembled. It has been observed that a US/Thailand FTA would open the door to US importation of a Thai built Ranger, but I doubt that will happen for a number of reasons, not the least of which is the high cost of transportation (there's also the suitability of the global Ranger's NVH and options to a market for which it was never intended).

It's a tricky one because these Trucks are still trucks and no matter how much you try to refine somethimg built for off-road

that ruggedness is also counter to NVH. The latest T6 is a nice product but the sale is conditional on buyers liking a

truck that has genuine 4x4 off road roots.

Nothing against the products but I see it as not enough sales to interest Ford at the moment, that may change with Everest..

Edited by jpd80

JPD - do you know what transmission they are using? I have a sneaking suspicion it may be the good old M5OD given the Mazda roots of the T6.

Correction, it uses a 5-speed manual transmission - I suspect sourced via mazda JV.

T6 is a clean sheet design done by Ford, not Mazda.

There is basically no carry over of any componentry except maybe that 2.5 and 5-speed manual transmission.

Edited by jpd80

I'm just curious to know since it would shoot a big hole in RJ's claim that the M5OD line was shut down if it was in fact the M5OD.

If Mazda's still running that line, fine. If not, it's not sitting there idle awaiting someone to throw the switch and start building M5s again.

AFAIK, they pulled that transmission when Ford replaced the Mazda lead Ranger with the T6, but I could be wrong.

According to this source, it's a different transmission:
http://www.caradvice.com.au/61767/2012-ford-ranger-engine-and-undercarriage-spied/

Transmissions expected to make it to launch are the MT75 (five-speed manual gearbox), MT82 (six-speed manual gearbox produced by Getrag) and the 6R80 (six-speed fuel efficient automatic gearbox).

Confirmed here:

http://www.manualslib.com/manual/719999/Ford-Ranger.html#manual

(see p. 150)

And that transmission is built at Halewood:

http://www.autonews.com/assets/PDF/CA26401020.PDF

http://www.manualslib.com/manual/719999/Ford-Ranger.html#manual

(see p. 35)

Dang, I forgot that too, all the engines and transmissions came via Transit,

Ford Asia Pacific did the 6R80 autos for the 2.2 & 3.2 diesel which helped Transit.

The story also had a 2.0 Ecoboost reference, those two vehicles were in fact used as attribute prototypes for the Falcon Ecoboost.

Ranger was never supposed to have a 2.0 Ecoboost engine.... but if it went to USA, I'd expect 2.3 Ecoboost would be a great choice.

You guys are lucky, anyone wanting a LHD Ranger, they're just across the border in mexico,

I'm surprised that there's not been a few gray imports into the US. and Canada.

If they are first imported into Mexico, do they then become part of NAFTA?

Edited by jpd80

Mexican Rangers are built in Argentina.

If the US-Thailand FTA went thru, I have no doubt Ford would be selling Ranger now. So would Mitsubishi Triton. heck, Mazda would be back too with rebadged new B series. Nissan would have shut down Frontier line too and source them from Thailand instead.

Mexican Rangers are built in Argentina.

If the US-Thailand FTA went thru, I have no doubt Ford would be selling Ranger now. So would Mitsubishi Triton. heck, Mazda would be back too with rebadged new B series. Nissan would have shut down Frontier line too and source them from Thailand instead.

That could be part of the Pacific Rim agreement, hopefully we hear more about that in the near future.

In any regard, I have a feeling that Ford would have waited until the economy improved a bunch

and everest was available too. Combined, those two vehicles may make for a better case.

Good to know! Its making me want one!

Grey imports are very difficult in the U.S., just ask all the people that had Land Rocer defenders brought in. you couldn't bring a ranger here from Mexico as I doubt ford would write you the letter that it meets U.S. Emissions which is required for importation.

Edited by jasonj80

Grey imports are very difficult in the U.S., just ask all the people that had Land Rocer defenders brought in. you couldn't bring a ranger here from Mexico as I doubt ford would write you the letter that it meets U.S. Emissions which is required for importation.

Is that a commiefornia thing? There's a few of those badboys up here in Alaska.......so jealous! :drool:

Builder friend of mine buying a new truck as his Ranger flunked inspection because of excessive rust. His first choice is Tacoma-did not like new GM's Told him to just TRY a new 150-he might find the size not so objectionable-says he will. Has been looking for clean low mileage Ranger but few and far between.

Size IS the issue with this guy.