Smug analysis on American truck buying habits

http://www.autoblog.com/2015/05/08/fullsize-suv-small-car-sales-slow/

I titled it this way because of Autoblog's short-sight title (you'll see from the link), it's simply fact that Americans buy larger vehicles based on gas prices, not because automakers refuse to offer compacts . However that isn't an excuse to offer subpar cars over superior trucks ( see Detroit circa 2000). The smaller cars will have to scale down a bit til gas gose back up or as of now share development with other nations .

I like the fact that most mainstreamer domestic sedans can be had with turbo 4 cly power, good mpgs, tech and competitive, trucks/SUVs are more efficient now then even 5 years ago and the US exports oil now due to fracking so the price shocks of 08' won't return without warning .

I made a post a month or two on how short sighted the American public is in general.

It's really goddamn irritating when cycles come back around and those people who bought giant tanks of vehicles whine and bitch and moan when gas skyrockets. It's going to happen again down the road, you wait and see.

National average for a car loan is 67.8 months. That's kind of scary. Personnally I refuse to finance a car. Always thought it was dumb to pay interest on something that is guaranteed to depreciate like a rock.

I guess it's a good thing the majority of America doesn't think like me. There would be far fewer buyers.

Haha. I bought the Ranger brand new in 2011. I picked up the Excursion a month ago as a replacement for my old Explorer due to our growing family. I wanted to take advantage of cheap gas and the Excursion definitely does it. It really doesn't matter though since its a third vehicle.

• Like 1

A lot of people now want trucks and Utilities, I think the common theme is higher seating position

and feeling less intimidated in the traffic by other large vehicles.

Never underestimate the feel of a large engine and RWD. IMO, that was a large part of why people wanted into those vehicles in the 90s.

• Like 1

Never underestimate the feel of a large engine and RWD. IMO, that was a large part of why people wanted into those vehicles in the 90s.

While that may be true, if you take the whole market into consideration, higher ground clearance, better seating position

and a sense of security are a big part of it.- especially with Compact and mid sized Utes.

I bought a 97 F150 4x4 with the 5.4 and recently bought a 2006 Mustang GT with the 24v 4.6,(only 56k miles) so no not all Americans buy based on gas prices or mpg's.

Your buying v8s don't mean nothing (and i too have v8 vehicles) , look at the buying habits during the $4-5 p.g. days, the imports were having a grand time.

My point (along with others on Autoblog) is with the more efficient SUVs/trucks now also with better compacts and midsize cars the domestics won't suffer as bad as they did back then but the article insists that things would be the same as 08' because people love SUVs .

A lot of people now want trucks and Utilities, I think the common theme is higher seating position

and feeling less intimidated in the traffic by other large vehicles.

I appreciate the command position in my MKX....especially after driving my 1983 Mustang....that car feels like you are sitting on the pavement when compared to the MKX.

I would normally pay cash, but when 0% financing is available, I'll gladly take it to keep my assets liquid and makin' bacon. I did that with the Focus and a couple other previous cars.

That makes sense too. Although I find that it's usually the case that it's either 0% or cash back. So basically you're paying for the financing via a higher transaction price.

Edited by Sevensecondsuv

Is there usually a discount involved for Cash sale versus 0% financing?

If so, then that would be your effective interest payment buried in the figures..

Also not having a trade helps clarify the deal, maybe sell privately for more money too..

when you add those two things up, a lot of savings are possible by planning you your vehicle purchases

I don't know if it was overproduction per se, but model year 2014 was stupidly long, like a year-and-a-half they were in production, all the while Focus (and C-Max) sales were collapsing the second half of 2014. It really was the perfect storm.

Yes. The 14's were long out of production when I bought. But there were a lot available. I don't know if it was overproduction or what, but it seemed like a perfect storm of rebates at the time.

There were less buyers than expected after Ford restated fuel economy figures but there was also a swing

away from C-Max Hybrid to more people now wanting C-Max energi so then inventory product mix was awry..