Ford recalls 442k vehicles.

This is why I keep an old Ranger with manual steering around. Taught my wife a few things about steering systems and she knows what to expect if power assist fails. She also knows not to turn the steering wheel if the tires aren't rolling as this a bad habit easily broken by a few days in something without power steering. I cringe every time I see someone cranking it from lock to lock at a standstill in a parking lot. Not my wife!

I believe the other problems addressed with software fixes were different (not loose electrical connections). What happens is the recall is applied with new software, then a few months later the part fails (out of warranty) but because the recall was deemed successful due to the software update Ford refuses to cover the repair.

If they would simply extend the warranty on the rack it wouldn't be an issue.

I see what you're saying but unless the rules have changed safety and emission recalls don't have an expiration date.

I see what you're saying but unless the rules have changed safety and emission recalls don't have an expiration date.

They do not expire but if there are no codes, the recall states they will do a reflash. This then meets the recall requirements and Ford does not have to do anything else. If it fails in the future, recall is done, it is a customer pay repair.

That is why we are both saying it is best not to have the reflash done that way Ford will have to replace it if it does fail since the recall is still open on that VIN.

They do not expire but if there are no codes, the recall states they will do a reflash. This then meets the recall requirements and Ford does not have to do anything else. If it fails in the future, recall is done, it is a customer pay repair.

That is why we are both saying it is best not to have the reflash done that way Ford will have to replace it if it does fail since the recall is still open on that VIN.

On the flip side, if there is a failure, and you are sitting on a recall for 6 months or longer, and your wife/child is injured due to the failure, how are you gonna feel? At that point, there is no recourse to Ford because you failed to uphold your end of the bargain - bring the vehicle into Ford for the fix.

In this day and age there simply should not be this amount of recalls by Ford. Ford never seem to learn from its mistakes. Yes all manufacturers recall vehicles but Ford seem to be recalling over half a million cars each month for varying issues. In the UK this news really hits the Ford brand hard.

I simply dont see this imrpoving for Ford, they need to focus on obtaining better suppliers, better parts and building vehicles that will last rather than building them on the cheap to sell them in their masses, this strategy simply does not work as well as it use to. The Mustang has already took a battering by the UK motoring media, so if it gets recalled in the UK it will kill it off before its started. I cannot believe that Ford evidentally does not conduct extensive heat and cold testing if it is having such basuc issues with its latest state of the art offering, this is a school boy error big time! Subsequently we have just had the New Mondeo (US Fusion) here which is already 3-4 years old, again it has come under great pressure from the likes of the New VW Passat which is a brand new car, and based on initial perception looks a better constructed car.

Edited by geronimo183

In this day and age there simply should not be this amount of recalls by Ford. Ford never seem to learn from its mistakes. Yes all manufacturers recall vehicles but Ford seem to be recalling over half a million cars each month for varying issues. In the UK this news really hits the Ford brand hard.

I simply dont see this imrpoving for Ford, they need to focus on obtaining better suppliers, better parts and building vehicles that will last rather than building them on the cheap to sell them in their masses, this strategy simply does not work as well as it use to. The Mustang has already took a battering by the UK motoring media, so if it gets recalled in the UK it will kill it off before its started.

I think you might be overstating things a bit and giving the press more credit then it needs. I haven't read any of the review from the UK, but the Mustang is a totally different breed of car vs say a Focus ST or the like and its not like Ford is expecting to sell them 100's of thousands either...its going to be a halo car in the EU and the rest of the world.

On the flip side, if there is a failure, and you are sitting on a recall for 6 months or longer, and your wife/child is injured due to the failure, how are you gonna feel? At that point, there is no recourse to Ford because you failed to uphold your end of the bargain - bring the vehicle into Ford for the fix.

But apparently having the software updated does not actually change the failure condition - you still lose power steering at speed. If that's the case then there is nothing to gain by having the recall done and you run the risk of Ford not paying for an actual failure later.

But apparently having the software updated does not actually change the failure condition - you still lose power steering at speed. If that's the case then there is nothing to gain by having the recall done and you run the risk of Ford not paying for an actual failure later.

OK, well if that is the case, then I would agree.

In this day and age there simply should not be this amount of recalls by Ford.

the New VW Passat which is a brand new car, and based on initial perception looks a better constructed car.

It's pretty hard to take someone serious when their idea of a good car is the VW Passat.

And Ford is no worse than any others in this regard. What Ford does seem to be doing is catching things early and doing smaller recalls up front rather than waiting and being forced to do them later in much bigger numbers.

This is the result of cars getting much much more complicated and years of cost cutting.

Oh no! Ford should go out of business! This is the first time any car has ever had to be recalled!

Oh wait, there's that Takata recall from the "land of quality", Japan!! Then ALL car companies should go under!!!

Edited by 630land

Oh no! Ford should go out of business! This is the first time any car has ever had to be recalled!

Oh wait, there's that Takata recall from the "land of quality", Japan!! Then ALL car companies should go under!!!

Who said anything about Ford should go out of business? Intact, I don't think anyone was really complaining about the recall that started this thread.

The problem that I have and others should too is that this recall is NOT going to fix the problem. It is simply a "let's do the bare minimum" to try to get out of replacing steering racks that should be replaced. It didn't work in the Explorers and I am very confident it is not going to work here as well.

The fact is that the uneducated (no disrespect meant) are going to get the recall notice, they will make an appt to have the reflash done because they don't have any CEL codes and then they will be sent on their way. This will not fix the possible defect and when it does rear its ugly head, the customer will then be paying for a replacement when it should have been replaced in the first place (or extend the warranty on it).

It is how Ford is handling the problem, not the fact that there is a problem.

As Akirby stated about being the 1st do defend Ford, I am the same way. I call people out who try to bash Ford because they just want to be a troll but this here is a serious problem that Ford is not addressing the way it should be.

It's pretty hard to take someone serious when their idea of a good car is the VW Passat.

LOL, I couldn't agree with you more!! I could not believe the electrical issues I had with my Audi A4. As much as I LOVED how the car drove, anything that had a wire attached gave us an issue.

I warned my brother in law who wanted to lease a 15 Jetta TDI and had always heard me speak about the stupid gremlins in these cars. Well our first discussion about 2 weeks ago went something like this (paraphrasing) "I should have listened to you".. " windows won't roll down when I hold the handle".. "windows won't open when I touch the handle".. " mirrors won't aim down when I go in reverse".. lol, he only has 5,000 miles on the vehicle.

While ford is at it maybe they can recall the damn seat tracks in the flex and explorer! Just had to pay a $1000 bill to replace the seat track in the passenger seat of our Flex. It's 3k out of warranty. Very annoying. Apparently a seat that slides when you take off from a stop isnt a recall worthy issue, my dealer does at least one of these a week.

/grrrr today sucks.

While ford is at it maybe they can recall the damn seat tracks in the flex and explorer! Just had to pay a $1000 bill to replace the seat track in the passenger seat of our Flex. It's 3k out of warranty. Very annoying. Apparently a seat that slides when you take off from a stop isnt a recall worthy issue, my dealer does at least one of these a week.

/grrrr today sucks.

They've only been doing that since 1992 or so (Explorer). I have no idea why they can't fix it.

/grrrr today sucks.

$1000 to replace the seat tracks? Are they plated in gold?