Cadillac chief wants to break Cadillac away from GM

twintornados

I would almost be tempted if I were GM. The reason is if this guy starts to burn Cadillac to the ground, I would spin it off like FCA/Ferrari and then sell off my shares and be done with it. They could start over again by upgrading Buick into a luxury marque although that would take a looooong time in the USA although it would probably be an easy thing to do in China.

I would almost be tempted if I were GM. The reason is if this guy starts to burn Cadillac to the ground, I would spin it off like FCA/Ferrari and then sell off my shares and be done with it. They could start over again by upgrading Buick into a luxury marque although that would take a looooong time in the USA although it would probably be an easy thing to do in China.

The problem is that there's nothing really to sell, Cadillac's best money earners are in fact on GM corporate platforms.

Whoever buys Cadillac will soon discover that unless they keep paying GM to deliver Escaldes and SRX, Cadillac would go broke.

The problem is that there's nothing really to sell, Cadillac's best money earners are in fact on GM corporate platforms.

Whoever buys Cadillac will soon discover that unless they keep paying GM to deliver Escaldes and SRX, Cadillac would go broke.

But then again, that same fact didn't deter Spiker from buying Saab.

Just like Audi.

That's also kind of the point. I GM wanted to get rid of a loser company, there will always be someone stupid enough to buy it. The best part for GM is that they didn't have to pay off dealers or honor warranties after the sale of Saab.

The thing is, unlike Cadillac, Saab actually contributed substantially to the rest of GM's product portfolio, world-wide.
Saa-, I'm sorry, "GM Powertrain Sweden" was responsible for a portion Ecotec engine's develepoment, as well as GM's tubo-charging technology and engine management systems.
Saab ended up sustaining losses because GM didn't "pay" Saab for that development. This, and other "Accounting Magic®" regarding Saab's revenue allowed GM to avoid paying taxes in Sweden.
It's the same thing GM is doing (and has been doing) with Opel.
And, unlike Cadillac, Saab had been saddled with either neglected, outdated, or subpar/half-assed product (Saabaru? Saablazer?) for nearly two decades, while Cadillac was given chances, upon chances, upon chances.
The new 9-5 came WAAAYYYYYYYYYY too late.

Yeah, it's a pity too because I thought it looked great. I always enjoy seeing the rare one on the road (I assume it's the same one I see occasionally).

The rarest of Saabs is the 9-4 as only 450 of these were ever produced. I only saw one of these and it was parked at Chilli's.

The rarest of Saabs is the 9-4 as only 450 of these were ever produced. I only saw one of these and it was parked at Chilli's.

The 9-4X? Yes, there's also one around here I see on occasion. Come to think of it, I wonder if it's the same owner of both.

The 9-4X? Yes, there's also one around here I see on occasion. Come to think of it, I wonder if it's the same owner of both.

And, in true GM fashion, the best looking modern GM utility vehicle was a Theta-based Saab that they only made 500 of.

Shame, too.

That thing was handsome.