Toyota's TRD Pro version of Tacoma built to take on roughest terrain

jpd80

Toyota's TRD Pro version of Tacoma built to take on roughest terrain

Richard Truett rsslogo.jpg

Automotive News - LINK

February 11, 2016 - 2:45 pm ET

Extract from article:

The TRD Pro, based on the four-wheel-drive, double-cab, short-bed model of the Tacoma,

is packed with heavy-duty suspension hardware and electronic aids that enhance performance

in grueling conditions, such as thick sand, steep unpaved hills and over rocky terrain.

The vehicle is powered by a 3.5-liter V-6 engine with several unusual features. It includes

both port and direct fuel injection systems and it runs in Atkinson cycle, which keeps the

intake valves open slightly longer to improve efficiency. The engine is rated at 278 hp,

and is mated to either a six-speed automatic or six-speed manual transmission.More

at article link above......

While the TRD Tacoma is probably a great product, I'm left in no doubt thata

Ranger fitted with Ford's 2.3 Ecoboost would be all over this product

in terms of power and fuel economy.

Edited by jpd80

If several terrorist groups in the U.S. were seen driving F150s would we be asking Ford what they're doing to keep their trucks out of terrorist's hands?

We have had this debate. We disagree. I know you always get the last word - so I won't push it.

However, while I believe this is a problem, it is not me who is driving an investigation. It is the Anti Terrorist Financing Unit of the US Treasury - real smart feds, highly trained, senior FBI-like special agents. If you think you are smarter than all of them at their profession - by all means, send them a message and ask them to stop wasting your tax dollars on this effort. Personally, I applaud their work on this and believe it is a valid question to ask of Toyota and hold them at least partially responsible for.

Edited by Kev-Mo

We have had this debate. We disagree. I know you always get the last word - so I won't push it.

However, while I believe this is a problem, it is not me who is driving an investigation. It is the Anti Terrorist Financing Unit of the US Treasury - real smart feds, highly trained, senior FBI-like special agents. If you think you are smarter than all of them at their profession - by all means, send them a message and ask them to stop wasting your tax dollars on this effort. Personally, I applaud their work on this and believe it is a valid question to ask of Toyota and hold them at least partially responsible for.

While I agree with your premise, I just don't see how you can really hold Toyota accountable for the action of some rogue dealers.

While I agree with your premise, I just don't see how you The US Treasury Terrorist Financing Unit can really hold Toyota accountable for the action of some rogue dealers.

Fixed that.

Read the link in #3. Note what the lead investigator has to say, and why they are looking into it, then make a decision if they are somehow receiving more of one kind of vehicle than others. Again, highly trained federal agents. I think they would know when something does not appear to be on the up and up.

While I agree with your premise, I just don't see how you can really hold Toyota accountable for the action of some rogue dealers.

If Toyota corporate is aware, they have the power to revoke the dealership. Even at a minimum they could cease shipping trucks to that dealer.

I'd like to know who thought TRD (Toyota Racing Development) was a good idea for a name...just add a u and you have TuRD.

worked with a guy about 7 years ago who bought one and I called it that. He was a good guy and really did not care so he just laughed it off. Late I began to think about what he could have done considering he was a half foot taller and weighed about 60 lbs more and 30 years my jr. Like I said, he was a good guy.. ;)

So what about the possibility of Ranger having a Raptor version of its own

with either a 320 HP 2.3 Ecoboost or Range Rover's 3.0 V6 diesel?

I like the look and power level of the 2.3 EB, that engine would be

a great fit in Ranger even as a standard, base engine...

I remember seeing that pic for the first time and thinking to myself that if it was a diesel and not a gasser, the joke is on them...

I think a Raptor type version of the T6 Ranger would be awesome. It seems to me Ford has the technology available to create such an item, but I am sure it comes down to whether or not they can make money with it. I would think using that technology would actually help spread out the cost with the preexisting products already using it, i.e, the 2.3 Ecoboost.

Yes, ISIS will appreciate all those new features!

Can't help it, not until they stop letting their trucks get into the hands of the bad guys.

http://fortune.com/2015/10/07/us-isis-toyota/

As you pointed out, we've discussed this before.

If a wealthy Saudi businessman decides to donate 2.5% of his fleet to ISIS to comply with zakat, there's dang little that Toyota or the US government can do to stop him.