Marchionnne Reshapes Fiat Chrysler For Merger or Sale

Anthony

But they didn't have any other competitive cars or utilities so I think they would have struggled even without Daimler just like ford and gm.

They had a competitive line up at the time, but yes, they would have fallen in the recession as they didn't have enough small vehicles. The Caliber was a terrible replacement for the Neon. But then again, I don't know if the Caliber would have ever seen the light of day if Daimler and Cerberus never controlled Chrysler.

Pre-Daimler Chrysler was successful.

They were too small. They could not compete in an increasingly global market. Their products had absolutely abysmal quality and little going for them apart from styling.

They were for a period the most profitable Detroit auto maker on a per unit basis, but that was because they cut corners everywhere.

• Like 1

Neons had bad head gaskets and rusted away like Studebakers. Were only "class leading" to Mopar purists, and became a late night comedy joke.

Were so "class leading" that customers ran from them once they fell apart.

Now, the latest fantasy thrown around Mopar fan boys is "Toyota is coming to the rescue and will bring Mazda too!" Keep dreaming.

Edited by 630land
  • Like 1

Try getting warranty out of a dealer in another country.

Bottom line with jeep and Chrysler is the customer is always wrong....

You have no idea how true that is. After dealing with my wife's lease on a Liberty I don't understand how their service departments ever made money. They denied every warranty issue I ever brought up... sunroof leaked... don't park outside, transmission leaking... just oil change leftovers (even though it was almost due for another, ended up just putting cardboard on the garage floor), door gap adjustment... you must have hit something not covered under warranty.

Yes, he has prepared it for a buyout/merger. he is eliminating any hope of meeting CAFE requirements by doubling down on pickups, Jeeps, and performance cars. That really limits potential partners to someone who primarily markets small cars and econoboxes. Just more spin , smoke, and mirrors.