Oz waiting list for Mustang out to 2017, currently 6000 orders

There is now a 12 month + waiting list for Mustang here in Oz, with 6000 orders on the books...

http://www.caradvice.com.au/426077/ford-mustang-waiting-list-out-to-2018-with-over-6000-orders/

Only 12% of orders for 4cyl model.

Surely with this sort of demand from such a comparatively small market, they'll think about sending some of the special models here as well? Thoughts?

Unfortunately, Ford has a runaway success in little Australia and New Zealand but can't get its act together...

Ford Australia has their hands tied and cannot do anything once their allocation is filled....

The RWD fanatics here keep telling me that a RWD coupe won't work in Australia because they don't want one,

seems to me like Ford could sell a heck of a lot more Mustangs if they had some floor stock, any friggin' thing...

Edited by jpd80
  • Like 1

seems to me like Ford could sell a heck of a lot more Mustangs if they had some floor stock, any friggin' thing...

They might sell a lot more Mustangs if they could get them down there, but I'm not sure how floor stock would help when you've already sold every one you can deliver, and have a waiting list for the next ones off the boat...and the ones after that...and the ones after that...

Edited by SoonerLS

Yeah, floor stock isn't happening. We are building RHD mustangs as fast as the mix will allow, but they're built in batches.

What I mean by that is some are for UK and Ireland, then the next batch will be for AU/NZ, then some for South Africa and so on and so forth. How that's determined, I have no idea.

The point is that Ford Australia managed to sell out its Mustang allocation well into 2017

while Falcon is still being produced, the last and greatest XR6 Turbo and S/C XR8 are

all but sold out and October 7 closure is fast approaching.

Such a shame that the local plant is not being re-configured to build Mustang and Edge.

So has the Mustang in Australia outsold the SS in the US?

Dunno, but it looks like Ford did a better job of gauging interest and sizing supply. Ideally you want neither, but it's much better to have a buyer waiting a year for a car than to have a car waiting a year for a buyer...

• Like 1

Chevrolet SS has a big head start, First Mustangs were sold just before Christmas and Australia's quota of Mustang was only 4,000.

Had Ford doubled the quota there would be no quibbling but no one n their right mind would commit 8,000 Mustangs to Australia

without any sales history to guide them.

It's looking like all the nay sayer RWD internet experts in Australia were wrong about a performance coupe being able to replace

performance sedans, the strength of all those Mustang orders would be music to the executive's ears.

Sure, the enthusiasts are buying up GTs at AUS$65K but the Ecoboost could be valuable as a secondary product

sold to walk in buyers looking for something different. It's that kind of market separation that could make Mustang

a continuing strong seller down under..

Edited by jpd80

• 3 weeks later...

Ford Australia secure 2000 extra Mustangs.

http://www.caradvice.com.au/430532/f...ment-standard/

Ford Australia has secured an extra 2000 Mustangs to satisfy massive local demand. Additionally, this range of MY17 Ford Mustangs

due late this year will be the first to come with Ford’s new SYNC 3 infotainment system, including Apple CarPlay and Android Auto.

The extra stock of new MY17 Mustangs will arrive here near the end of 2016, and help rein in a shortfall that had seen the waiting list

stretch into the second half of 2017. With an order book beyond 6000 units (25 per cent higher than predicted), it will help greatly.

Ford Mustang sales began at the start of this year, but such was the demand, the entire 2016 allocation was sold out before anyone

actually drove it here. It’s been the nation’s top-selling sports car this year.

More at story link above.........

wow, excellent news, I have to wonder if the story reached senior management and sympathetic ears

It seems that someone, (the right person) found a way to make the impossible happen....

Thank you Ford... :)

Edited by jpd80

I wonder if the extra numbers came from an allocation originally meant for somewhere else (UK perhaps?). As an outsider, it seems unlikely they'd just decide to roll an extra 2000 units down the line. Whatever the case, great news for those waiting. Also interesting that EcoBoost sales are starting to pick up as % of overall sales, especially in the drop-top.

When is RHD Edge launching in Australia? :dogwalk:

Local production ceases on October 4, after that falcon and territory is history.

So I suspect that the the Edge (new territory) will transition about then.

The UK already has RHD Edge with 2.0 Diesel, so i expect ours will be similar

I wonder if the extra numbers came from an allocation originally meant for somewhere else (UK perhaps?). As an outsider, it seems unlikely they'd just decide to roll an extra 2000 units down the line. Whatever the case, great news for those waiting. Also interesting that EcoBoost sales are starting to pick up as % of overall sales, especially in the drop-top.

It was always expected that the V8s would dominate first with the performance fans and all those who associate the two.

The Ecoboost is an interesting contrast in that it's no hairdresser's car like early celicas but may end up gaaining

a surprisingly large following with the younger I-4 turbo enthusiasts...but some of us older guys like them too.

Part of me wonders if Ford could really cash in with the base V6 version, Ford could place it in there a few grand belowt

he Ecoboost and possibly pick up a whole other audience of people who want a Mustang and ar happy with a basic.

The EB Mustang starts at AUS$44,990 which is approx. USD$33,750, so a V6 for AUS$40k would still be approx USD $30K.

May be something for Ford to think about once Falcon is no longer on sale.....

I have a hunch that if dealer ever get floor stock, Mustang sales could really start to take off..

Edited by jpd80

Local production ceases on October 4, after that falcon and territory is history.

So I suspect that the the Edge (new territory) will transition about then.

The UK already has RHD Edge with 2.0 Diesel, so i expect ours will be similar

I wonder if Ford will give you guys the 7 seat Edge from China?

I wonder if Ford will give you guys the 7 seat Edge from China?

I think the idea is that the Everest will be the 7 seat option, but for mine they're in different segments - Everest more of a Prado / Fortuna competitor, Edge more of a Kluger competitor. I think FoA want 7 seat Everest to straddle both...

Edited by justins

IIRC, 7 Seat Edge is being or will be made in Canada for Export as China is not set up for RHD or Exports.

In Australia, the Everest starts at AUS$60K which is around USD$45K, way above Territory/Edge price bracket.

I think we may see a 7-seat Edge as a range filler but wouldn't put it past Ford to try it on with Everest

and see how many 3-row Ute buyers it can convert to the more expensive product.

Edited by jpd80

IIRC, 7 Seat Edge is being or will be made in Canada for Export as China is not set up for RHD or Exports.

In Australia, the Everest starts at AUS$60K which is around USD$45K, way above Territory/Edge price bracket.

I think we may see a 7-seat Edge as a range filler but wouldn't put it past Ford to try it on with Everest

and see how many 3-row Ute buyers it can convert to the more expensive product.

Whatcha talking about

post-25487-0-08342100-1460099804_thumb.gif