Lincoln Navigator Reignites Bold

That is GORGEOUS. If the production variant looks anything like that (sans gullwing doors, of course), it should sell like hotcakes.

Almost looks like a grown-up, more refined Flex.

Makes me excited to see what Ford will do with the Expedition!

Honestly, I think this is one that will actually benefit from the concept to production transition.

• Like 3

OK scrap the frameless gullwing doors, the steps and tone down the interior and it's not too far a stretch to see that in production. I'm not much for the gullwing doors, even on the concept, though I know they give better access for photos etc. Once the frames get put around the windows, I think you'll be looking at blacked out b, c and d pillars to fake the flow through effect.

Edited by justins
  • Like 1

Side glass won't be as sleek, interior won't be as gadgety, ride height won't be as low--standard 'concept' caveats apply.

Stuff that one may fully expect to make it through to production:

Greenhouse/A/B/C/D pillar shapes.

30-way adjustable first and second row seats

drivers' aids.

glass roof

Honestly, I think this is one that will actually benefit from the concept to production transition.

I think so. No doubt Land Rover was the inspiration for some of this design, especially the tapered approach to the rear.

Likes - The side profile and clean sculpting with a floating roofline and wrapped shoulder-line.

Dislikes - The soft narrow fascia and flat boxy tail, I just don't like the bulbous Lincoln grille and the contrived plinth idea with the fat lip below it.

Edited by BORG

Is this going to be enough to dislodge the Escalade?

Not sure. Remember that GM's got a whole plant dedicated to their full size SUVs, while Ford's only using a short run of separate assembly space at KTP to build the Expy & Navi (along with a common body shop and a common assembly line past the body/frame marriage point)

Pretty sure this is still BOF. It's enormous.

I'm not sure about this. I will wait until tomorrow morning's official press with Lincoln before reaching my final opinions on this. But I know this is just a Concept, but seriously, a gullwing door? Interesting usage of the Continental front end styling which I'm sure will remain on Production version. I can't help but wonder the platform it will use. Still based on rear drive Expedition or on its own front drive platform? It looks front driver. Again, I'll wait until tomorrow morning's press to see if they make full announcement before reaching my complete opinion. But I tell you all this, this is NOT what I was expecting. Kinda meh to me.

A bit of Land Rover (arguably LR and Explorer have more in common), a bit of Bentley without the large headlights. I don't know how I feel about this Navigator concept but it appears to aspire to a higher level than the Cadillac competition.

I'm assuming the following: It's BOF based off the F Series platform or an improved current platform. I also think it will have the second generation EB 35 and 10 speed transmission.

I have one peeve that makes me curse is the center console. Why do luxury cars mess up the pattern and lines by slapping a tablet there and calling it a day? Man alive that's lazy! Save the trouble and just put a charging station and the driver can place their own device. I am in a Jean-Luc gif WTF mood right now.

Edited by Hugh
  • Like 2

There is a video that clearly states the doors are only for easy of photography. In one of the pictures you can see the rear IRS, so I would say it is a morphed F150 frame with the rear IRS intact.

I'm not sure that GM ever saved that much over Ford by keeping the SRA setup in the rear of the SUVs. IIRC, they use coils on the SUVs, and the rear frames are unique anyway because there's no bed and the wheelbases are different. I think the savings exists in cheaper componentry, not a whole bunch of shared frame pieces.

My fear right now is that both the Navigator and Expedition will continue to feature large expanses of straightened sheetmetal which does a poor job visually managing the boxiness of the dimensions.

Meh. Side sculpting on the Conti concept matches the production fairly close.

http://www.blogcdn.com/slideshows/images/slides/341/828/7/S3418287/slug/l/01-lincoln-continental-concept-ny-1-1.jpg

http://luxurycarmagazine-28b0.kxcdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/Lincoln-Continental-2017-1.jpg

• Like 1

I'm not sure about this. I will wait until tomorrow morning's official press with Lincoln before reaching my final opinions on this. But I know this is just a Concept, but seriously, a gullwing door? Interesting usage of the Continental front end styling which I'm sure will remain on Production version. I can't help but wonder the platform it will use. Still based on rear drive Expedition or on its own front drive platform? It looks front driver. Again, I'll wait until tomorrow morning's press to see if they make full announcement before reaching my complete opinion. But I tell you all this, this is NOT what I was expecting. Kinda meh to me.

Front wheel drive? Think about that one for a minute....

A bit of Land Rover (arguably LR and Explorer have more in common), a bit of Bentley without the large headlights. I don't know how I feel about this Navigator concept but it appears to aspire to a higher level than the Cadillac competition.

I'm assuming the following: It's BOF based off the F Series platform or an improved current platform. I also think it will have the second generation EB 35 and 10 speed transmission.

I have one peeve that makes me curse is the center console. Why do luxury cars mess up the pattern and lines by slapping a tablet there and calling it a day? Man alive that's lazy! Save the trouble and just put a charging station and the driver can place their own device. I am in a Jean-Luc gif WTF mood right now.

Yeah, as I said before, I think the problem I have with it are those concept elements, which are throwing the overall look off for me because I'm trying to picture the production version.

Definitely agree about the tablet look for the nav screen.....I absolutely hate that trend. It really makes it look like an afterthought.

• Like 2

I'm very curious to see if that dramatic drop-off to the rear roofline is carried to production, that would probably have a big impact on the overall design of the vehicle.

As for the 'tablet' trend to the dashboard, it's becoming necessary to achieve larger displays and the need to place that information higher on the dashboard. This usually only works if you have a hand controller, something only Lincoln and Caddy have avoided so far. I like some parts of the dashboard design, although the entire concept has some far-fetched design ideas on the interior which makes things a little unclear. I would like to see Lincoln breakaway from Ford on infotainment systems to get larger displays and a less modularized system so that feature controls aren't scattered throughout the interior as they are now. Lincoln hasn't made much progress on tech with the Continental so I'm hoping we see something better on Navigator.

Edited by BORG