Lincoln Navigator Reignites Bold

side_zpsiviharmw.jpg

Come on guys, that concept has a longer wheelbase, there around three and a half wheel spans between the inner

edges of the front and rear tires. The regular Navigator is shorter "dumpier"

2015 Navigator

2015-Lincoln-Navigator-side-profile_zpst

Unless the Navigator turns into a 2-row vehicle (like the concept) then there is just no way it's going to retain that roofline in production.

Nope they stretched the front a bit.

I tend to agree w/Borg on the roofline.

I expect it will be raked, but not at such an aggressive angle.

At the same time, there seems to be both more aggressive tumblehome on the new Navigator & the roof sheet metal wraps over the side to a greater extent, reducing the apparent height of the greenhouse without reducing the actual height.

• Like 1

Unless the Navigator turns into a 2-row vehicle (like the concept) then there is just no way it's going to retain that roofline in production.

Precisely.

The slope has been accentuated and looks like an SUV with a roof chop.

Change that roof line and everything below it suddenly takes on difernt proportions,

the glass house then draws your eyes away from sides which suddenly look narrower..

That's the job of a Concept though, to accentuate some styles and features...

It will probably be in keeping with the inspiration"

aa4f559c10e1214e3dc0e8e4f523a26f.jpg

Edited by jpd80

Nope they stretched the front a bit.

I tend to agree w/Borg on the roofline.

I expect it will be raked, but not at such an aggressive angle.

At the same time, there seems to be both more aggressive tumblehome on the new Navigator & the roof sheet metal wraps over the side to a greater extent, reducing the apparent height of the greenhouse without reducing the actual height.

The blacked out rear glass probably adds to that.

Also, wind sheild has been laid back a little too, adding to the sleek / slimming effect of the roof line..

It's hard because my eyes keep getting drawn to points that make me think the glass house is narrower than it is..

Perhaps this is what the critics are missing or mis reading, there seems to be a Trompe L'oielle going on...very clever..

The concept DOES have 3 rows?

side_zpsiviharmw.jpg

Come on guys, that concept has a longer wheelbase, there around three and a half wheel spans between the inner

edges of the front and rear tires. The regular Navigator is shorter "dumpier"

2015 Navigator

2015-Lincoln-Navigator-side-profile_zpst

I don't know - I guess that means they're going a completely different direction with the door shape (away from the straight rear door cut of the existing model.

We've also already spied the Expedition EL that retains the straight rear door, and I find it hard to believe they'd make the Expy and Navi THAT different.

2018-Ford-Expedition-spy-photos-1-640x39

Edited by rmc523
  • Like 1

The concept is 3 rows, albeit only 6 seats. It's mentioned in the release on Lincoln's website. They've just done a terrible job of showing it in photos.

There a divider in place so the third row is not present

lincoln_navigator_concept_07.jpg

Yes, there's the wardrobe closet in the back, but there is a third row in front of that.

See:

This is the 3rd row.....Notice how you can't see out the back....because of the wardrobe thing.

Lincoln-Navigator_Concept_2016_800x600_w

These next two you can see the third row seats behind the second row ones.

Lincoln-Navigator_Concept_2016_1024x768_Lincoln-Navigator_Concept_2016_1024x768_

And lastly. Why would there be TV screens on the back of the 2nd row seats if there were not a third row?

Lincoln-Navigator_Concept_2016_1024x768_

• Like 2

I hope that this is the start of a long drip feed campaign that sees interest in the Navigator (and Continental) skyrocket...

They had it on Fox News this morning. They were ooohing and aaahing over it. Of course they had no clue it was not a production version and were talking about the gullwing doors and what the starting price was going to be.

Also, the new concept is a bit deceiving when it comes to length and if this denotes a long version. Don't look at the wheelbase, look where the front seat driver is positioned in relationship to the rear wheel. You'll see the image of the old Navigator and the Concept are not much different. The more pronounced rake of the windshield necessitates the front row to be farther back. From the outside, this gives the illusion that the cabin is much longer, when in fact much of the additional length is just the dash.

I bet there is a group of engineers at Ford somewhere gathered around someone's desk reading all these wild theories about future products and having a big laugh....

Well, here's another one from GMI that I hadn't considered:

quote_icon.png Originally Posted by optiongm viewpost-right.png
The new Navigator will have it's own wheel base length......between the standard length New Expedition and long length Expedition...The New Navigator will not be confused with an ungraded Expedition like the Escalade or Yukon are to the Tahoe.....there will only be one length Navigator.....This also creates more room for the next Aviator....
Is there an advantage to Ford building just one unique length Navigator and making more room for an Aviator below?
Initially I thought LWB = new NAV and SWB = Aviator but maybe the change (if there is one) will be much more subtle
as in Explorer based Aviator and mid WB Navigator......wow another plan to consider.
This could get very interesting if Ford really lets Lincoln off the chain with its new larger products,
are we seeing the real Lincoln slowly coming back to life?
Edited by jpd80
  • Like 1

It's being reported/rumored that Navigator will come in 1 length that bridges the difference between the standard and L models while Expedition will have both. This makes sense to me considering the separate top-hat and the longer rear-overhang in the concept.

Edited by BORG
  • Like 1

The Expedition has been seen testing on 2 wheelbases so it's safe to assume that will continue.

I find it highly improbably that the Expedition/Navigator program is big enough to support 3 different wheelbase lengths - Expedition SWB, Expedition LWB, and a Navigator that splits the difference.

I'm sure the Navigator will just be LWB if reports that it will only be available with only 1 size is true. I also stand by my observation earlier that I believe the concept is a preview for LWB (only?) version and not the SWB.