Lincoln Navigator Reignites Bold

The design influences are obvious, but I actually like it. Definitely a step up from the current model. The Conti grille transfers well to the larger vehicle.

This actually makes me much more excited to see what they do with the Expedition.

Exactly, now I want to see the Expedition.

Another question.

Will there be a LWB edition?

I don't see why there wouldn't be.

I would think there would be.

Agreed.

Since this probably doesn't share sheetmetal (or even a top-hat) with Expedition, is there a need for two variants?

I'm willing to bet a good craft beer that the Navi & Expy will be exactly the same from the belt line up and exactly the same under the skin with the only differences being the interior, sheet metal (or would I say aluminum & plastic) from the belt line down and maybe powertrain choices. That's why I think we will continue to see extended versions of both the Expy & Navi.

Exactly, now I want to see the Expedition.

Me too!

I'm very curious to see if that dramatic drop-off to the rear roofline is carried to production, that would probably have a big impact on the overall design of the vehicle.

As for the 'tablet' trend to the dashboard, it's becoming necessary to achieve larger displays and the need to place that information higher on the dashboard. This usually only works if you have a hand controller, something only Lincoln and Caddy have avoided so far. I like some parts of the dashboard design, although the entire concept has some far-fetched design ideas on the interior which makes things a little unclear. I would like to see Lincoln breakaway from Ford on infotainment systems to get larger displays and a less modularized system so that feature controls aren't scattered throughout the interior as they are now. Lincoln hasn't made much progress on tech with the Continental so I'm hoping we see something better on Navigator.

I see what you are saying BORG. For example, my Escape MFT display is high enough and to the right easily accessable. I think the overall size of the Conti's dash will dwarf the display. If it was higher and larger, it would probably resolve the access issue. Add a configerable HUD and you can filter the information feed as required. I just prefer it to be in the dash and console, not another motorized lift and sink tablet style seen as of late. IMO, it breaks up the outline and style and it comes off as a gimmick. Again, just MHO.

• Like 1

I'm kind of hoping the expedition gets the superduty front clip.

Highly doubtful.

I see what you are saying BORG. For example, my Escape MFT display is high enough and to the right easily accessable. I think the overall size of the Conti's dash will dwarf the display. If it was higher and larger, it would probably resolve the access issue. Add a configerable HUD and you can filter the information feed as required. I just prefer it to be in the dash and console, not another motorized lift and sink tablet style seen as of late. IMO, it breaks up the outline and style and it comes off as a gimmick. Again, just MHO.

I don't think the one in the Navigator concept is motorized, I think it's stationary. But I still agree with you about it being in the dash.

• Like 1

There are lots of common folk who love concept cars, and go to Auto Show to go 'wow' over them. Serious car guys complain and go "why do they bother?" Well to give Auto Show crowds something to see. This idea dates back to dawn of car industry.

Lots of coworkers, relatives, friends, etc who don't care about car biz, 0-60, HP, and all want to be "entertained" when they go to the Show, and love seeing 'futuristic' concepts. So what?

Edited by 630land

KTP has a separate line for the EXPY/Navi

Separate Body, Trim, Chasis.

Nope. Not entirely separate.

Here a SD body is being inspected/touched up immediately behind an Expedition body:

Here, an Expy is being inspected ahead of a SD:
And there's this:

Note that a SD cab is being dropped onto a chassis immediately behind an Expedition.

Another question.

Will there be a LWB edition?

Look at the relative size of this thing vs current Navigator dimension... I think this IS the LWB Navigator.

The standard version will be shorter. The fake opera window behind the C-pillar will probably appear only on the LWB version.

I really like the overall look of the concept... much more upscale looking than the current one.

Edited by bzcat

Nope. Not entirely separate.

Here a SD body is being inspected/touched up immediately behind an Expedition body:

https://youtu.be/4mdvbascJAA?t=307

Here, an Expy is being inspected ahead of a SD:

https://youtu.be/4mdvbascJAA?t=330

And there's this:

https://youtu.be/4mdvbascJAA?t=495

Note that a SD cab is being dropped onto a chassis immediately behind an Expedition.

https://youtu.be/4mdvbascJAA?t=519

Again, an Expy and a SD on the same line.

https://youtu.be/4mdvbascJAA?t=542

I think the body shop has 2 separate lines though. Technically 3 since the SD body and beds are built separately.

Look at the relative size of this thing vs current Navigator dimension... I think this IS the LWB Navigator.

The standard version will be shorter. The fake opera window behind the C-pillar will probably appear only on the LWB version.

I really like the overall look of the concept... much more upscale looking than the current one.

The Navigator L and Expedition EL are not just longer behind the rear wheel, it's MUCH longer between the wheels which is clearly not the case here since the rear wheel cuts right into the 2nd row seating like most SUVs.

I think this looks longer because it's lower and shorter than the current Navigator, especially out back with it's tapered boat-tail allusion and wraparound glass. I still find it hard to believe there is enough cost/sales benefit to produce two very distinct versions of of each vehicle, they simply don't sell many and it's not a growth industry.

Edited by BORG
  • Like 1

I doubt it. Look where the "rear" door has the cut in the front of the rear wheel well.

That's how the Tahoe/ Yukon and current Navi/ Expy are. The longer wheel base trucks have a rear door that goes straight down. No notch for the wheel well.

BORG beat me to it.

Edited by MY93SHO

Another over grown land barge. Plenty of things to go wrong with that swing up door and steps.

Those are concept-only features.

I doubt that very much. Ford didn't do that with the MKT/Flex, and these products are going to sell in higher volumes.

I think this is one of the few examples where we could see some shared elements. But we'll see!

Nah, the door cut line tells me it isn't.

Also, what fake opera window?

• Like 1

I think the body shop has 2 separate lines though. Technically 3 since the SD body and beds are built separately.

I think the body shop has multiple lines in some spots, and they're not segregated by product. In one of those clips you can see a couple Expys on an adjacent line while a guy buffs out a SD fender behind another Expy.

I think the body shop has multiple lines in some spots, and they're not segregated by product. In one of those clips you can see a couple Expys on an adjacent line while a guy buffs out a SD fender behind another Expy.

This is where I would love to see a video or documentary of the full process, because all of these snippets floating around aren't giving us the full picture.

• Like 1