Why Americans reject build-to-order cars

You also have to remember that many incentives are tied to dealership stock, not new car orders, although I believe this is less true for Ford or Lincoln. I know dealers generally discourage new car orders because they want to make a sale from stock today.

Incentives are not tied directly to dealer stock at all - it's strictly date dependent and it just so happens that most incentives expire before most special orders arrive. But some dealers can actually lock in incentives at time of order with incentive protection. You get either what was in place at order time or the current ones whichever you prefer. Obviously dealers want to make the sale today.

I've ordered my '84 mustang LX V8.

My one question, what happens if you ordered the car and there is something wrong with it, or you're not happy (seats don't feel right for example).

Is the dealer stuck with a ordered car etc ?

I've ordered my '84 mustang LX V8.

My one question, what happens if you ordered the car and there is something wrong with it, or you're not happy (seats don't feel right for example).

Is the dealer stuck with a ordered car etc ?

At that point, if you don't buy it, it's no longer an 'ordered car' and just becomes dealer stock like every other vehicle on the lot.

Most dealerships aren't concerned unless you order something off the wall that nobody else would want.

I wonder how many times people walk into a dealership thinking they want "X" vehicle

and walk out with with something different / more expensive......

Maybe that's the hidden idea of selling and larger inventories, eliminating buying obstacles.

"Instead of ordering that vehicle, how about I do you a deal on this....."

Edited by jpd80

On a sidenote, why most midsize manufacturers offer the base engine for a decent lease. Ford refuses to offer the 2.0 EB Fusion for lease (or at least a competitive one), only the little 1.6 EB. Toyanda is the same thing, even the Koreans. Seemingly the Malibu i can get the 2.0T (250hp) upgrade for $199 (with perfect credit).

Like a diesel Crown Victoria with manual transmission...

That would be a good one! :)

I wonder how many times people walk into a dealership thinking they want "X" vehicle

and walk out with with something different / more expensive......

Maybe that's the hidden idea of selling and larger inventories, eliminating buying obstacles.

"Instead of ordering that vehicle, how about I do you a deal on this....."

You know, I think there is a lot to this. Entice your customers to buy more than they want by having more than they want available. My dad just purchased a new F250 Crew Cab with the Power Stroke. He didn't want the sprayed in bed liner, FX4 package, moon roof, or 20" wheels, but that's what the trucks on the lot close to what he wanted had, so that's what he got. Of course, he's at the point of his life where an extra $2-3k or so for those options didn't break him (in his words, he's just spending our inheritance :)), so he went for it.

• Like 1

On a sidenote, why most midsize manufacturers offer the base engine for a decent lease. Ford refuses to offer the 2.0 EB Fusion for lease (or at least a competitive one), only the little 1.6 EB. Toyanda is the same thing, even the Koreans. Seemingly the Malibu i can get the 2.0T (250hp) upgrade for $199 (with perfect credit).

You're confusing "decent lease" with Loss Leader, or at the very least super aggressive marketing. Those base models are heavily subsidized for advertising purposes. The lease prices on the higher options are actually the true lease costs (depreciation plus interest over the life of the lease).

Careful, that's an ultra low lease....LINK

Chevrolet National Lease Offers

Ultra Low-Mileage Lease for Qualified Lessees

$199/month for 39 months. $500 due at signing (after all offers).

$0 down payment / $0 first month payment / $0 security deposit for Current Lessees of GM vehicles (after all offers).

Tax, title, license, dealer fees and optional equipment extra. $0 security deposit due at signing.

Mileage charge of $0.25/mile over 32,500 miles.

Not your average leasehold would know or care about "loss-leader" and even so why can't I get an upgraded engine in most midsize cars at any lease price? (ex: Fusion 2.0 and im sure Fusion Sport).

Edited by Fgts

Not your average leasehold would know or care about "loss-leader" and even so why can't I get an upgraded engine in most midsize cars at any lease price? (ex: Fusion 2.0 and im sure Fusion Sport).

So are you saying that Ford won't lease a 2.0 EB Fusion or a Fusion Sport? I would say you are likely mistaken.

The point was your complaint about not being able to get a screaming lease deal on a better equipped model and the answer to that is most definitely Loss Leader. Doesn't matter whether the buyer understands it or not - that's marketing.

And you can go to a bank or credit agency and lease any car you want, new or used. Ford is only one source. I don't know why they won't lease some models - maybe they have a higher than average default rate.

Edit - I was referring to the lack of a lease on Mustangs awhile back - it does appear you can lease any Fusion right now (and Mustangs).

Edited by akirby

So are you saying that Ford won't lease a 2.0 EB Fusion or a Fusion Sport? I would say you are likely mistaken.

I don't think I am, unless you prove otherwise.

The only other lease deals for Fusion from Ford is Hybrid and Energi models.

Edited by Fgts

You said Ford wouldn't lease you a Fusion 2.0L or a Fusion Sport. Wrong.

post-22831-0-26370500-1465311689_thumb.png

post-22831-0-83172800-1465311702_thumb.png

Edited by akirby

I ordered my Fiesta and it came with the wrong seats. I posted this a while back but in short, we agreed to be new seats (charcoal leather to replace the champagne leather) at no charge to me. If I didn't want the car, it'd probably go to dealer stock. At least we worked it all out and it was worth it.

Is this pic proof enough for you? Right from Ford's website, building a Fusion. Select Titanium with the 2.0L and lease is an option.

post-22073-0-88546300-1465311705_thumb.jpg