GM boosts discounts on big pickups as summer truck war heats up

jpd80

By Keith Naughton - LINK

July 16, 2016 — 4:42 AM AEST

* Incentives surged 147% on GMC Sierra, J.D. Power data show

* Increases followed June decline in U.S. sales of GM models

General Motors Co. more than doubled discounts on some of its large pickups in July’s first 10 days after U.S. sales of the highly profitable models fell last month despite ads attacking the durability of Ford Motor Co.’s aluminum-bodied trucks.

Incentives averaged $7,962 on the Chevrolet Silverado, up 76 percent from June levels, and $9,457 on the GMC Sierra, an increase of 147 percent, according to J.D. Power data obtained by Bloomberg. Ford offered $4,457 on its F-150 and Fiat Chrysler Automobiles NV had discounts of $6,172 on its Ram, according to the research firm.

And this:

“We had an eight-day sale that absolutely obliterated Ford and our other competition, especially in full-size pickups,” Cain said. “Fully half of the full-size pickups sold to retail customers during the first 10 days of July were a Chevrolet Silverado or a GMC Sierra.”

Even with the heavy incentives in early July, GM expects to end the month with discounts averaging the same or below those of its rivals, Cain said.

So in essence, GM offered 20% 0ff its superseded 2016 trucks adn captured 50% of

the full sized truck retail market in the first 8-10 days of July.

If companies do indeed average $10,000 profit per truck with about $4,000 incentives,

then GM just gave away half of that profit to boost sales and sell down 2016 stock.

and it will be interesting to see if F Series' mix of retail and commercial fleet sales keeps

it pretty close to GM combined sales of Silverado and Sierra - this months figures may be

crucial to GM deflecting criticism over last month's sales strategy which fell a bit flat.

"obliterated Ford and our other competition"

First, what were the numbers? I'm questioning the obliterated part. Not denying it. But Chevy has a tendency to be the Donald Trump of the truck world. "It's HUGE"...

Second, I find it interesting that Chevy always finds the need to point out Ford, and then only mention "the other competition". Kinda like a needy child. Me me me!

"obliterated Ford and our other competition"

First, what were the numbers? I'm questioning the obliterated part. Not denying it. But Chevy has a tendency to be the Donald Trump of the truck world. "It's HUGE"...

Second, I find it interesting that Chevy always finds the need to point out Ford, and then only mention "the other competition". Kinda like a needy child. Me me me!

Once again GM found a great way to spin success out of a fire sale.

So lets look at incentive spend to get those sales:

Silverado - $7,962...up 76%

Sierra ........$9,457...up 147%

F Series....$4,457

FCA...........$6,172

Even if Ford sold half as many trucks, you can see that it would have made just as much profit as GM..

I wonder what this is doing to Colorado and Canyon sales?

Great point, GM's heavily discounted sized trucks make Colorado and canyon far less attractive.

You'd really have to want a mid sized truck at any cost to ignore those massive bargains on Silverado and Sierra,

it's not like the 2017 versions of those trucks are going to have that much difference....

Great point, GM's heavily discounted sized trucks make Colorado and canyon far less attractive.

You'd really have to want a mid sized truck at any cost to ignore those massive bargains on Silverado and Sierra,

it's not like the 2017 versions of those trucks are going to have that much difference....

I know I'm one guy, but when the Ranger finally comes back, there's not any amount of discounts they can offer for a F-150 that would get me to get one over a Ranger. I absolutely do not want or need a full size truck right now, maybe ever.

I know I'm one guy, but when the Ranger finally comes back, there's not any amount of discounts they can offer for a F-150 that would get me to get one over a Ranger. I absolutely do not want or need a full size truck right now, maybe ever.

That's fine, there are a lot of buyers that feel that way.

What I'm talking about are the buyers who would be comfortable buying either...

I've driven T6 Rangers for the past few years, I love them, theyre like cars to ride in

but still rugged and strong where they need to be.;)

In grand scheme of things a Ranger is 213 inches overall length, which is actually bigger then a regular cab F-150.

A Super Crew is 231 inches with a 6 foot bed.

How big is the bed on the Ranger?

In grand scheme of things a Ranger is 213 inches overall length, which is actually bigger then a regular cab F-150.

A Super Crew is 231 inches with a 6 foot bed.

How big is the bed on the Ranger?

I don't know exactly, but I can't imagine the standard bed being bigger than 5 feet.

The box fitted to the c rew cab is 1485mm at the bottom and 1545mm at the top...that's about 58-60.8 inches .:)

I could Imagine Nth America wanting a longer 6 1/2 feet box for added capacity...maybe better with goose neck trailers?

The box fitted to the c rew cab is 1485mm at the bottom and 1545mm at the top...that's about 58-60.8 inches .:)

I could Imagine Nth America wanting a longer 6 1/2 feet box for added capacity...maybe better with goose neck trailers?

I could see a 6 1/2 foot box, but not for goosenecks. I can't see anyone towing a 5th wheel with a ranger.

Even with the heavy incentives in early July, GM expects to end the month with discounts

averaging the same or below those of its rivals, Cain said.

GM may have a shot at lowering the average incentive spend from around $8K per vehicle

down to FCA's $6K per vehicle if it cuts back to $4K per vehicle.

I wonder if the smaller size of the Colorado and Canyon will still encourage people to buy them, even if the price differential between those pickups and the full-size pickups diminishes greatly, thanks to increased incentives on the latter.

My wife's cousin and her husband have a new Chevrolet Colorado...they prefer the handier size of the Colorado (her car is a Subaru Impreza wagon, but with their new baby, she is driving the Colorado more often). Not everyone wants to drive the largest vehicle possible.

Edited by grbeck

Does that mean it's "Chevy truck month"....for the 8th month in a row....again?

Every month in 2016 is "Chevy truck month" for dealerships participating in GM's "Standards for Excellence" incentive program. GM has a stair-step program for calendar year 2016; the bonus payouts for dealerships that hit 120% of their Silverado sales targets are substantial. Automotive News describes the program as such:

"New for 2016: a built-in monthly stair-step program that will pay up to $1,000 for every Silverado to dealers who surpass a factory-set sales target by 20 percent or more. Dealers who hit 100 to 119 percent of their objectives get smaller per-vehicle bonuses. (All dealers must hit their year-over-year increase in overall sales to qualify for the stair-step bonuses.)"