U.S. fuel efficiency goals could fall short by 2025, federal report finds

Those that live up there believe they are. There was a small movement a few years ago to split the 2 into North and South Michigan or something like that since Lansing has been ignoring them for decades.

I lived in the U.P. (Iron Mountain, Munising) for about ten years back in the 1970’s and 1980’s. It has a northern, rural culture much more like Ontario than what you find in the lower peninsula. Especially the west end, which is much more closely tied to Wisconsin and Minnesota, than downstate Michigan.

I lived in the U.P. (Iron Mountain, Munising) for about ten years back in the 1970s and 1980s. It has a northern, rural culture much more like Ontario than what you find in the lower peninsula. Especially the west end, which is much more closely tied to Wisconsin and Minnesota, than downstate Michigan.

Oh wow, you were WAY up there! I've lived in the Detroit area my whole life and I've never been up to the U.P. I plan on changing that ASAP.

How are they subsidizing driving larger cars?

By artificially lowering the costs of driving, this increases the miles driven, and encourages the driving of larger vehicles.

Thus the increase in sales of less fuel efficient vehicles.

The facts are we are spending property, income and sales taxes to pay for roads that primarily benifit people who drive and drive alot. Paid for by people who don't.

If this cost were fully assessed to the user the this would lower the demand for driving and the costs of maintenance and demand for expansion, while making alternatives more attractive.

How are they subsidizing driving larger cars?

By artificially lowering the costs of driving, this increases the miles driven, and encourages the driving of larger vehicles.

The facts are we are spending property, income and sales taxes to pay for roads that primarily benifit people who drive and drive alot. Paid for by people who don't.

If this cost were fully assessed to the user the this would lower the demand for driving and the costs of maintenance and demand for expansion, while making alternatives more attractive.

But your also adding the burden to people by making them pay more. Lots of people can't afford to move closer to work or don't want to live closer to work because of its location, schools, property taxes etc. What your basically saying is we need to have the government determine where people need to live because they wouldn't be able to afford where they want to live.

Way too much social engineering in your posts.

We also need to separate compulsory mileage from discretionary mileage.

As cities get larger, the commutes get longer and longer, it's not uncommon

for a lot of commuters to spend between one and two hours in each direction.

The solution is not as simple as adding taxes to larger vehicles or to fuel,

do either and it creates a lot of collateral damage with transport costs

which then touches most things low income earners pay.

Edited by jpd80

Interstate means it crosses from one state to the other (interstate commerce).

Interstates don't have to cross state lines. Blazerdude is correct. Hawaii has an interstate... I don't think it connects anywhere outside of Hawaii... Its been a while since I have driven there...LOL

Interstates don't have to cross state lines. Blazerdude is correct. Hawaii has an interstate... I don't think it connects anywhere outside of Hawaii... Its been a while since I have driven there...LOL

I didn't say they had to cross state lines - I said that the definition of interstate (in general not road specific) is between 2 states so a road that crosses from Michigan to Ohio is, by definition, interstate even if it doesn't go to a different state.

The interstate highway system was obviously created to support roads that crossed from state to state but there are many Interstate highways that don't cross state lines now.