2018 Shelby GT500KR with Twin Turbo V8?

I still don't see it happening, not when the entire industry is moving away from brand new V-8s in general.

I didn't say it would happen, just throwing out speculation like the entire rest of this thread. :)

Now, if it's built off the 3.0L (2.7L), is it truly an ALL NEW engine? Or is it a variant?

To your point, there are only 2 other manufacturers that have the real need for V8's...FCA and GM. To say the entire industry is moving away from brand new V-8s in general is a bit of a stretch since there are only 3 manufacturers in this specific industry (big trucks). With the complex emissions in diesels, I think there needs to be an option in class 2-5 trucks that is not a diesel. The V10 is very long in the tooth, and the 6.2L reportedly can't handle the cooling necessary at load in medium duty applications. So, I think there has to be a new V8 engine developed for Super Duty trucks. Would a smaller V8 work in those applications? Would the fuel economy be better than the V10? I don't know, but I personally think the V10's days are numbered. I thought the word was that GM was building a new V8 for the Silverado? Or maybe it's just making their 6.2L viable in the class 2+ trucks?

• Like 1

Why would you find it hard to believe that low volume luxury mfrs would continue building small displacement V8s? Remember the U.S. isn't the only market in the world.

Changes in regs across the world, plus despite the demand for CUVs, efficiency is still a desired trait. There's only so much you can do to make a V-8 efficient.

Changes in regs across the world, plus despite the demand for CUVs, efficiency is still a desired trait. There's only so much you can do to make a V-8 efficient.

You probably would have said the same thing about the FPC 5.2L V8 in the GT350 2 years ago.....

You probably would have said the same thing about the FPC 5.2L V8 in the GT350 2 years ago.....

Probably not knowing that it was being developed for a niche performance vehicle only. Besides, its not really from the ground up new. They started with the existing 5.0 block and reworked it for the FPC.

Yes, I realize I'm talking out of both sides of my mouth here.

why?

New 4 door car isn't happening, especially with that engine, and it DEFINITELY won't be RWD.

If the Lightning does indeed come back it will probably have a version of the 3.5EB from the Raptor, tuned for more horsepower (somewhere between the Raptor and GT is my guess)

Raptor doesn't need a second engine option when production is limited to begin with.

• Like 1

New 4 door car isn't happening, especially with that engine, and it DEFINITELY won't be RWD.

If the Lightning does indeed come back it will probably have a version of the 3.5EB from the Raptor, tuned for more horsepower (somewhere between the Raptor and GT is my guess)

Raptor doesn't need a second engine option when production is limited to begin with.

i dont recall the exact number but i think FORD said by 2020 they were putting out 13 cars.some are already out now.there is a market for a v8 raptor and lightning,and i would bet a four door car as well.

No, built on the niche line, like the engine for the old GT500 was. Read that somewhere recently, I'll have to dig up the article.

Now I'm not sure because IIRC, Trinity was built at Romeo and Voodoo at Windsor(?)

Edited by jpd80