2017 Mazda 3: Sharper, Crisper, Cleaner

Biker16

3rd generation mazda3 Debuted in June 2013
MCE October 2016
4th gen due 2018

http://www.caranddriver.com/news/2017-mazda-3-debuts-with-sharper-looks-news

2017 Mazda 3: Sharper, Crisper, Cleaner
A few midlife tweaks for Mazda's well-rounded compact.

Aug 2016 By JOSEPH CAPPARELLA

The well-rounded Mazda 3 compact is being freshened for 2017. The relatively mild updates to the U.S. model, which were previously announced for the global version of the car, include tweaked exterior styling, some new interior bits, updated active-safety features, and the addition of Mazda’s G-Vectoring Control system for improved steering response.

That doesn’t sound like much, but the 3 didn’t need much improvement—in its current form, it has earned a spot on our 10Best Cars list for the past three years. Nonetheless, the changes for 2017 are welcome, especially the revised exterior that nicely sharpens the 3’s look. The reshaped grille and headlights present a slightly more aggressive face to the world, and LED headlights are newly available on higher-trim models. A new rear bumper appears a bit cleaner and crisper than before, at least on the pictured hatchback model (Mazda has yet to release photos of the U.S.-spec 2017 sedan).

3rd generation mazda3 Debuted in June 2013

MCE October 2016

4th gen due 2018

Number of Mazda cars: 3

Number of Mazda utilities: 3

Number of Mazda trucks and vans: 0

Number of FMC cars (NA): 8

Number of FMC utilities: 7

Number of FMC trucks and vans: 4

apples and oranges

C1 Mazda 3: MY 2005 - MY 2013

2nd Gen Mazda 3: MY 2014 to MY 2019 (allegedly--citation needed)

C1 Ford Focus: MY 2005 - MY 2010

C2 Focus MY 2011 to MY 2019 (allegedly--citation needed)

I'm really really really struggling to see how Ford is dropping the ball here, as compared to Mazda.

Because Ford can do no right, and Mazda can do no wrong.

I think the problem with Focus is while it's a great product in some areas, it under delivered in others such as quality, FE, utility(spaciousness), and sales and thusly everybody is waiting for something to fix Focus now. It's also the oldest product in the segment today with many years to go, mostly because the Focus landed off schedule from other manufacturers. This is such a cyclical business, but Ford is otherwise on schedule. I do think however that Ford is finding ways to make do with their shrinking presence globally in these segments just because it was their market to loose and the competition is squeezing them on price which is something they have to react to smartly. I think Focus, particularly in the US, just priced itself out of the market as people preferred to spend the equivalent on utilities or larger and equally cheap mid-sizers, especially since gas prices don't matter anymore. It's really hard to justify the pricing on a Focus right now, if you're on a tight budget then there are plenty of other newer and cheaper choices and Focus doesn't have a good reason to be your first one. Like many cars critics like, it's a great car when it's not your money to spend and you only have to drive it for a few days.

Edited by BORG
  • Like 1

To add to this, I've got a long term rental on a 2016 Chevrolet Cruze 2LT while my 2011 Corolla is in a storage lot at my local Toyota dealership waiting for a new airbag due to the recall. I've driven a friend's recent Focus a few times and the difference is palpable between the vehicles. The Cruze is better at fitting my 6 foot almost 300 pound whale of a body comfortably without feeling confining around my legs. The 1.4L turbo and 6AT combo is a solid powertrain with plenty of mid range grunt and a decent shifting schedule without feeling like it wants to jump out of the engine bay from time to time. The gas mileage on a recent road trip with three other occupants and two days worth of luggage in the trunk was absolutely phenomenal. The Chevy MyLink infotainment system isn't the greatest in the world, but as compared to recent sync systems I've used, it's not appreciably subpar either. It has all the functions that you need it to. Also, while I'm a Ford fan, I feel that the ergonomics of the Chevy setup, excluding the control stalks on the steering column (which I really just don't like), are better than the Focus.

If I was in the market to replace my Corolla, I'd absolutely give the Cruze a solid consideration, and it's scheduled to be replaced again next year.

I'm not going to sit here and bash the Focus. It's not a bad car by any stretch. It's just getting eclipsed by other entrants in that market segment. Save for the ST and RS, I don't see any compelling reason to purchase the Focus over most of it's competition. I might be singing a slightly different tune if they had done an MCE that replaced the DSG with a modern, compact 6AT or another DSG that is a significant improvement over the current one. (I was not exceptionally happy with my friend's and his was "reprogrammed at the dealership" last year). There are other minor issues that I have with it, and I realize that some of them are due to my rather large ass and not really major faults with the car.

When the Focus came out, it was clearly the leader at the time in an aging fleet of small cars. But ultimately, once it landed in customer hands, the story changed dramatically because customers are the final arbiter not car critics. And then all the new cars came out and Focus was old news. The current Focus is still a good seller, it's not like it tanked off the charts but it's certainly not in a leadership position anymore. I've driven a few Focus and Fiesta rentals and they are fun to drive despite the twitchy transmission, which seems to behave better in the Fiesta. I'm just glad I don't have to drive that everyday. The Focus still has one of the better rides of the small cars I've driven, but the tiny seats mean it's impossible for me to get comfortable in an overly cramped car. The Fiesta always impresses me the most, it's the most fun to drive and is shockingly quiet and smooth. And you have no idea you're driving such a small car until you pull up next to a normal car.

Edited by BORG

Mazda will sell more CX-# CUV's though, and buyers will walk past the 'enthusiast driving car' and not even notice. Some even say the Mazda 6 is doomed, like the Chrysler 200 and late Mitsu Galant. Mazda would be down to one car!

Anyway, Focus is due for new generation in 2 years, not as if they are not doing anything in future. When Mk3 came out, gas was still near $5 a gallon in big cities, so market was high for compacts. Now? cheap as dirt, so it's "Utilities all day" at dealers.

Think Ford should spend money in a down car market to "pull forward the Mk4"? Dream on. They should build what sells, not "build what fan-bois want to see" and sell at discount. Asian brands are putting $$ into Utes, too, and supposedly Ford should "be more like them", so there.

Edited by 630land
  • Like 1

Thank you, old_fairmont_wagon, for the review on the Chevrolet Cruze.

I visited the local Chevrolet dealer to look at the new cars recently (when the dealership was closed). I was impressed with the build quality of the Cruze. It has very good panel and door fit. The problem I see is that it looks like Chevrolet's version of the last-generation Honda Civic. The resemblance is particularly strong in the greenhouse. That Civic wasn't one of Honda's better efforts.

The Cruze is not a bad-looking car, and looks well-made, but it doesn't look particularly fresh.

Edited by grbeck

Really there isn't much visually unique about small cars today, I think the new Honda Civic is the most unique and difficult to replicate, while Ford, Chevy, Hyundai etc. basically make cars that look the same with the exception of their fascia. Focus definitely looks the most dated and down market.

Edited by BORG

The Focus has a pretty unique look, in my opinion. It has a more European look about it.

As for its styling being "dated" - the styling of its chief competitors isn't more advanced than the styling of the Focus. It's not as though they have incorporated any startling new styling innovations or tricks that the Focus lacks. If anything, the Cruze looks more dated because it looks like the design that Honda just abandoned for the Civic.

• Like 1

Number of Mazda cars: 3

Number of Mazda utilities: 3

Number of Mazda trucks and vans: 0

Number of FMC cars (NA): 8

Number of FMC utilities: 7

Number of FMC trucks and vans: 4

apples and oranges

Since ford also employs more than 10 tomes as many engineers as Mazda I think it is amazing how productive Mazda is and ford is not.

C1 Mazda 3: MY 2005 - MY 2013

2nd Gen Mazda 3: MY 2014 to MY 2019 (allegedly--citation needed)

C1 Ford Focus: MY 2005 - MY 2010

C2 Focus MY 2011 to MY 2019 (allegedly--citation needed)

I'm really really really struggling to see how Ford is dropping the ball here, as compared to Mazda.

Richard i dont think you are very knowledgeable about these things are you?

2004 C1 Mazda 3

2008-mazda-3-sedan-photo-190746-s-1280x7

2009 2nd gen Mazda 3 (C1)

remember the Smiling front end

2010Mazda3_25.jpg

2014 3rd gen (non C1)

longer and wider platform.

1024px-2014_Mazda_3_Sedan_%28BM%29_2.0_S

Edited by Biker16