Pickup truck sales numbers

fordtech1

The gap between Ford and GM is actually bigger when you factor Full-Size SUV sales. But this isn't exactly new, GM has typically dominated truck sales in the US and Ford F-Series wins by a technicality. The bestselling truck in the country is usually not the F-Series, it's actually the Silverado/Sierra. Ford has actually done a fairly good job holding onto a huge part of the market with one truck, although they have clearly hit their ceiling this year. You have to remember that Ford's truck portfolio shrank with loss of Ranger and the abandonment of Expedition/Excusion so what they've done with the F-Series alone is amazing. New Ranger and Expedition could finally close some of the giant gaps in their truck line to put them on more equal footing.

Edited by BORG

The gap between Ford and GM is actually bigger when you factor Full-Size SUV sales. But this isn't exactly new, GM has typically dominated truck sales in the US and Ford F-Series wins by a technicality. The bestselling truck in the country is usually not the F-Series, it's actually the Silverado/Sierra.

Are you having diarrhea of the mouth again?

The F-series is the best selling NAME PLATE in the country aka whatever truck is called the F-whatever, is counted towards that

The Silverado is a Chevy and the Sierra is GMC...two different "manufactures" and Name Plates.

Why are you even considering full sized SUVs into this conversation? Why not add the Malibu why your at it?

The bestselling truck in the country is usually not the F-Series, it's actually the Silverado/Sierra

Nope.

2008 F-Series: 515,513 : GM 663,608

2009 F-Series: 413,625 : GM 428,386

2010 F-Series: 528,349 : GM 499,929

2011 F-Series: 584,917 : GM 564,300

2012 F-Series: 645,316 : GM 575,497

2013 F-Series: 763,402 : GM 664,803

2014 F-Series: 753,851 : GM 741,588

2015 F-Series: 780,354 : GM 824,683

2016 F-Series: 595,696 : GM 589,996

Over the last roughly 9 years Ford has sold about 30,000 more F-Series than GM has sold full size trucks.

Nope.

2008 F-Series: 515,513 : GM 663,608

2009 F-Series: 413,625 : GM 428,386

2010 F-Series: 528,349 : GM 499,929

2011 F-Series: 584,917 : GM 564,300

2012 F-Series: 645,316 : GM 575,497

2013 F-Series: 763,402 : GM 664,803

2014 F-Series: 753,851 : GM 741,588

2015 F-Series: 780,354 : GM 824,683

2016 F-Series: 595,696 : GM 589,996

Over the last roughly 9 years Ford has sold about 30,000 more F-Series than GM has sold full size trucks.

Thank you for that. I was thinking the same thing. Just too lazy to dig up the numbers.

I thought maybe GM had discounted themselves back into the lead...

Borg, I think you're also mistaken about truck brand loyalty. If GM were to drop GMC, that would not necessarily translate into an automatic sale for Chevrolet. Even though they are basically the same vehicle, I will never purchase a Chevrolet truck, and I know other people that feel the same way.

My point was that name plates matter. If GM consolidated GMC into Chevrolet, not all former GMC buyers will automatically buy Chevrolets. They will give Ford, Ram and the others a look, which will have a negative affect on total GM trucks sold. GM will subsequently have a difficult time trying to cover the total number of Ford trucks sold with the Chevrolet name plate by itself. Hopefully I have articulated my point better this time.

Chevy does not do "Luxury" as well as GMC. I'm not sure people who buy the Sierra and Yukon Denali would move to the Silverado, Tahoe, or Escalade. I know people who would otherwise buy the Escalade, but don't like the bling, so they buy the Denali instead. That's not to say GM can't/shouldn't fix that, but in their current state I do believe shutting down GMC would cost them sales.

Chevy does not do "Luxury" as well as GMC. I'm not sure people who buy the Sierra and Yukon Denali would move to the Silverado, Tahoe, or Escalade. I know people who would otherwise buy the Escalade, but don't like the bling, so they buy the Denali instead. That's not to say GM can't/shouldn't fix that, but in their current state I do believe shutting down GMC would cost them sales.

You know why? Because GM has intentionally kept Chevy down in order to make a case for GMC. Chevy finally has the High Country, but for years, they just added the luxury to GMC in order to have a reason to keep it around.

To be fair, when Lincoln had that version of the F-150 (Mark LT), I thought they were ridiculous looking. They looked very cheesy in my opinion, even though they were the same basic truck as the F-150 with a different grille. I happen to like the way the GMC trucks looks better than the Chevys myself.

I thought I was pretty clear when I said, "I will never purchase a Chevrolet truck." I am fully aware they are basically the same truck, but the GMC font clip is much better looking, and I won't own a truck or SUV for that matter, with a bow tie on it. Is that a rational position, maybe not to you, but what's the point of having more than one brand name if it supposedly doesn't matter to the consumer.

No reason they can't keep the gmc grilles. How many different grilles does the F150 have?

Well, to be fair, the entire front clip is different. But yes, I suppose they could just take the Sierra's design and put a Chevy badge in the middle instead of GMC across the entire lineup.....but that would mean eliminating that...er...beautiful bar across the grille of the Chevys.

I thought I was pretty clear when I said, "I will never purchase a Chevrolet truck." I am fully aware they are basically the same truck, but the GMC font clip is much better looking, and I won't own a truck or SUV for that matter, with a bow tie on it. Is that a rational position, maybe not to you, but what's the point of having more than one brand name if it supposedly doesn't matter to the consumer.

So it's nothing more than brand snobbery. Got it.

Well, to be fair, the entire front clip is different. But yes, I suppose they could just take the Sierra's design and put a Chevy badge in the middle instead of GMC across the entire lineup.....but that would mean eliminating that...er...beautiful bar across the grille of the Chevys.

Make the GMC front end an appearance package along with a Denali option. Just like Ford does with F150.