Chevy Bolt EV to carry EPA-certified range of 238 miles, GM says

Biker16

http://click.crainemail.com/?qs=ea7a6d1c1b3edf59552f196ecee9380787c469a0889557f980d3980aa761df9d7264720b07157ab4

The Chevrolet Bolt has been certified by the EPA to go 238 miles on a single charge, making it the first electric vehicle to be sold in the U.S. with a range of more than 200 miles and a starting price of less than $40,000. GM says 238 miles will meet the average consumer's daily driving needs with plenty of range to spare

Innovation

If it were easy everyone would have done it already.

If there was a compelling business case to do it then everyone would have done it already. All you need is a purpose built platform for battery storage - all the other stuff is off the shelf. It's much harder technically to build a true hybrid with an integrated ICE.

If there was a compelling business case to do it then everyone would have done it already. All you need is a purpose built platform for battery storage - all the other stuff is off the shelf. It's much harder technically to build a true hybrid with an integrated ICE.

This reminds me of When Steve Ballmer laughed at the first iPhone.

You mean all you need to do is add battery capacity to increase range? No need to improve other chassis systems to improve that range? Wow, making car is so simple! Why is it so hard for Ford?

How do you make a gas vehicle go further? You add a bigger gas tank. Same applies here. More range = more kw/h of energy. Focus and Leaf have 30 kwh batteries and get 107 miles. Bolt is 60 kwh and goes 238.

You mean all you need to do is add battery capacity to increase range? No need to improve other chassis systems to improve that range? Wow, making car is so simple! Why is it so hard for Ford?

You're not that obtuse. Ford doesn't have a platform built to house that much battery. That's the problem. It's easy to increase the battery a bit if you have a vehicle designed from the start to be electric only and to have the batteries as part of the structure of the vehicle as opposed to just flopping the batteries in the trunk wherever you can find room.

You have to give props to GM for the volt and bolt. The issue as it's been said here before. It's easy to make a car that loses money. It's hard to make a car on a unique platform and unique drivetrain make money. I totally believe every major manufacturer could develop electric cars that meet or exceed this. The problem is money. Think of the money GM has burned starting with the EV-1 all the way to the volt and ELR and now bolt.

• Like 1

You have to give props to GM for the volt and bolt. The issue as it's been said here before. It's easy to make a car that loses money. It's hard to make a car on a unique platform and unique drivetrain make money. I totally believe every major manufacturer could develop electric cars that meet or exceed this. The problem is money. Think of the money GM has burned starting with the EV-1 all the way to the volt and ELR and now bolt.

Exactly!!!!!

Other than having a bespoke platform to hold the 60 kwH battery pack to get the 238 mile range, what about the Bolt is "innovative"? What does it do better than a Focus Electric or Leaf?

It is not on a separate platform, it uses the same platform as the Encore CUV. and built in the same plant and line as the Sonic.

It does have a lot more range than the Focus Electric

ALOT more range.

Obviously Ford could a much better job if they weren't as dumb as everyone else.

chevrolet-bolt-powertrain-17.jpg

chevrolet-bolt-powertrain-2.jpg

From left to right

Gen 1 Volt: 16KWh

Gen 1 Volt Ver-3 17.1KWh

Spark EV 18.2KWH

Bolt EV 60 KWh

every genrartion becomes more compact and more powerful.

Energy Density

That focus on efficiency allows the battery to contain about three times the Spark's energy with only twice the mass.

Battery is a lithium-ion unit with high nickel content, which allows for a higher heat tolerance. It runs warmer than the Spark's battery, yet its overall waste heat is low.

Like Tesla's new 100KWH battery pack, they found a way to increase the energy density of the battery.

"battery is only heavier by 4%, but energy capacity increased by 11%."

How do you make a gas vehicle go further? You add a bigger gas tank. Same applies here. More range = more kw/h of energy. Focus and Leaf have 30 kwh batteries and get 107 miles. Bolt is 60 kwh and goes 238.

it is as simple a adding bigger battery?

The battery is actually a significant structural component of the Bolt. If the battery were to be removed, the car's torsional rigidity would drop by 28 percent. Cross-members are built into the battery's tub to better transfer forces across it -- in stress tests, only the rear shelf of the battery experiences significant flexing.

Also they gave it a higher capacity battery and still had room for a real trunk.

the focus EV has two batteries one in the Trunk and one where the Fuel Tank would go. the layout is very inefficient. and heavy.

Ford-Focus-Electric-Battery-Pack.JPG

focus-ev-1280-19.jpg

You're not that obtuse. Ford doesn't have a platform built to house that much battery. That's the problem. It's easy to increase the battery a bit if you have a vehicle designed from the start to be electric only and to have the batteries as part of the structure of the vehicle as opposed to just flopping the batteries in the trunk wherever you can find room.

again the battery isn't twice the size, according to the its energy density it could be less than 50% larger and hold 100% more energy.

The bolt doesn't use a dedicated platform

Edited by Biker16

So you think they just added batteries to a Chevy Sonic? You just said the battery is part of the structure. So it can't be the same. They started with a sonic chassis and heavily modified it for the Bolt.

60 kwh is twice the energy of 30 kwh regardless of the size or weight of the batteries. GM is buying the newer batteries from LG. They're not proprietary to GM.

Ford spent no money on the electric focus. Therefore the platform wasn't modified - the 3rd party builder just added batteries.

I expect Ford's EV to match or exceed Bolt's specs because it will be the first one that Ford has actually built.

You can't seem to grasp that what GM and Tesla are doing may be technically impressive but Tesla is absolutely not making money and it's likely that GM isn't either. Ford is putting profits over PR and gee whiz but I don't expect you to understand that.

Given that VW, BMW, Mercedes, Renault-Nissan, Jaguar, among others, are headed in the EV direction, it's past "PR" at this point. Ford had better get on board and quickly.

With that, I'm done with this thread...I've had my fill of discussing this with ostriches.

For the most part Ford knows where to put it's money when it needs to do so. But you certainly can't have the expertise until you spend the money...so ultimately I reject the notion that Ford knows how to crack this without actually having done it or proven they can do it. So until that happens, I don't think it's reasonable to assume this is a simple matter of spending money.

I do think there is value in Ford's recent approaches to new segments which is to wait and see and then dissect the products and customers to find out how to do it better (or if they should do it at all).

From a business standpoint I think Ford is wise, it takes calculated risks when it's essential and minimizes others when they are not.

Edited by BORG
  • Like 1

So why can't they just...you know...cut a hole in the floor of a Focus or Fiesta and call it done? I mean it's SO simple to develop a platform that can accommodate large batteries and other gas powered vehicles.

Edited by BORG

It is not on a separate platform, it uses the same platform as the Encore CUV.

GM developed a new architecture for EVs that puts the battery in a thin sandwich under the floor. That increased passenger and cargo space. It also lowered the Bolts center of gravity more than an inch compared to conventional cars, contributing to more responsive handling than the cars tall profile suggests.

http://www.freep.com/story/money/cars/mark-phelan/2016/09/13/chevrolet-bolt-electric-cars-mainstream-tesla-nissan-leaf-toyota-prius/90108614/

I believe that it's an upgraded version of Gamma II called Gamma G2SC that is

shared with NG sonic and Opel Corsa but not the current Spark

I think that also makes Bolt different to Trax and Encore, there's no provision for

battery under the floor with them but maybe the design can be adjusted to add that in later?

without dismissing Bolt, I'll be interested to see just how many sales GM scores with it and

whether it affects any of Tesla 3's presale bookings, will there be wholesale defections to Bolt?

Edited by jpd80

The only question is whether Ford is going to be behind the curve on technology by waiting 2 more years to debut their true extended range EV. One advantage of waiting is that they can learn from Volt and Bolt and the others and take advantage of newer battery technology.

If Ford's true EV can't exceed or at least match the competition when it debuts then they will deserve the criticism.

But to say Ford CAN'T do something that they haven't even ATTEMPTED to do yet is silly.