Ford March 2017 Sales Down 7 Percent

point is they could sell an awful lot MORE....I lost a BUNCH of F150 deals due to lousy lease payments last month, same with Edges and Escapes....and guess what...same trucks are still here, so what did Ford achieve by being so proud of its product...sales were consequently down last month......thankgod I squeezed a couple of Raptors in there... ;-)

point is they could sell an awful lot MORE....I lost a BUNCH of F150 deals due to lousy lease payments last month, same with Edges and Escapes....and guess what...same trucks are still here, so what did Ford achieve by being so proud of its product...sales were consequently down last month......thankgod I squeezed a couple of Raptors in there... ;-)

Sure they could sell more but at a lower profit. Sometimes it makes more business sense to sell fewer at higher ATPs and less incentives - all depends on the circumstances with suppliers, CAFE, plant capacity, etc. - none of which would necessarily make sense to a dealer.

Increasing average transaction price by $1,800?

• Like 1

increasing 1800 is the least of it...ZERO rebates on an F150 lease and a high money factor......Payments on 4x4 platinums were 850 plus..........how does that sit with the guy turning his 3 year old Platinum in that was low 600s..........and yes, Cali is quirky, doesn't mea n buyers are foolish and just lay down for inflated payments, its also the most competitive market in the states....and I believe the LARGEST as well....and PS ....$1800 equates to $75 or so dollars more a month....Ford loses market share enough, for sure they will adjust, but last month was un-necessarily BRUTAL...brand loyalty only gos so far....

Edited by Deanh

You missed the point Dean. That $1800 adds directly to Ford's revenue and a good portion to Ford's profit. If they're getting record sales and raising ATPs at the same time that's the best of both worlds for Ford. We realize it doesn't help some dealers but that's not really the point.

Sorry, ahem.....maybe I missed the context of the threads title..... Im just giving valid reason ( based on what I witnessed ) why sales were down....let me check the title again....nothing about ATP's or profitability.....hmmmm....Maybe it should be re-title...ATP's up $1800....

post-25048-0-82836500-1491430565_thumb.jpg

Edited by Deanh

You missed the point Dean. That $1800 adds directly to Ford's revenue and a good portion to Ford's profit. If they're getting record sales and raising ATPs at the same time that's the best of both worlds for Ford. We realize it doesn't help some dealers but that's not really the point.

Maybe Deanh gets paid on commission? A sales decline like Ford's last month is bad news to dealership employees whose incomes depend on how many new vehicles they sell.

Maybe Deanh gets paid on commission? A sales decline like Ford's last month is bad news to dealership employees whose incomes depend on how many new vehicles they sell.

Thanks captain obvious. Of course it matters to Dean but the question was what Ford was getting by limiting incentives and the answer is they're getting more profit and that's why Ford is in business.

@ANTHONY....margins at the dealer level pretty much remain the same, invoices for instance don't change and that's the nucleus of whatever margins dealers make.....point is sales are being lost due to non competitive programs...rates on Superduties just went from 3.9 - 4.9, lease programs on the F-150 are NOT very enticing, and $1800 ATP improvement means NOTHING in the big picture, lost sales DO...they want market leadership, they HAVE to be in the ballpark....the Edge programs also have me scratching my head...Ford has also nixed RCL renewal ? theres some strange counter intuitive thinking as of late...so riddle me this, if ATPs are up to $1800, whats better , 1 sale with that 1800, or TWO at say 1200?so, ARE they making more profit?.....Of course Ford doesn't care what the dealer sells the car for, their money is made irrespective, but stagnating sales ( and I repeat the title of this thread is SALES DOWN ) through questionable "incentive programs " seems counter intuitive....and to underline my point, sit abck and watch...continued market share lost and BAM, programs WILL change.....if you don't sell cars it doesn't matter what ATPs are..

Edited by Deanh

@ANTHONY....margins at the dealer level pretty much remain the same, invoices for instance don't change and that's the nucleus of whatever margins dealers make.....point is sales are being lost due to non competitive programs...rates on Superduties just went from 3.9 - 4.9, lease programs on the F-150 are NOT very enticing, and $1800 ATP improvement means NOTHING in the big picture, lost sales DO...they want market leadership, they HAVE to be in the ballpark....the Edge programs also have me scratching my head...Ford has also nixed RCL renewal ? theres some strange counter intuitive thinking as of late...so riddle me this, if ATPs are up to $1800, whats better , 1 sale with that 1800, or TWO at say 1200?so, ARE they making more profit?.....Of course Ford doesn't care what the dealer sells the car for, their money is made irrespective, but stagnating sales ( and I repeat the title of this thread is SALES DOWN ) through questionable "incentive programs " seems counter intuitive....and to underline my point, sit abck and watch...continued market share lost and BAM, programs WILL change.....if you don't sell cars it doesn't matter what ATPs are..

Here's the thing:

Ford is willing to lose those sales because they don't really have the capacity to make them.

You mention selling two cars at a $1,200 ATP increase, well, Ford can't build that second car.

Since you joined this forum, this is the capacity that Ford has eliminated:

St. Louis

Norfolk

Hapville

Twin Cities

St. Thomas

That's over a million units of nominal capacity. It's a quarter of the capacity they had available at the time.

That cuts all the way across the line--dealers are going to sell fewer cars, and that means that Ford can up prices when demand is good.

So, on the one hand, yeah, I can sympathize with you losing sales because Ford's programs aren't competitive, but on the other hand, and this is what stinks: What's good for Ford isn't necessarily good for you, and vice versa.

• Like 3

oh....did I mention the Superduties are on a STOP SELL recall.....( not sure if its all of them, its a plate in the transmission )....Rich, I understand that, but we HAVE units to sell, its not about factory capacity ( but I see where you are coming from ) like I said...we HAVE units we could sell....yet the numbers are turning prospective buyers away....( and yes theres also lost sales due to certain models availability ).....when your numbers are significantly higher than direct competition, the quality of the unit, and its "gleam" becomes tarnished to some buyers....$850 a month on a ( granted loaded ) pickup is fine and dandy if one gauges success ath ATPs, but when the buyer gos elsewhere, exactly what is achieved aside from another months flooring......probably lost 5 or so sales myself last month because of head scratching payments....and Im one of 20 guys ( granted my base is previous customers, Municipalities, Fleet ) so potentially that's 100 deals gone awry, how many dealers in the US 1800?......

Edited by Deanh

when the buyer gos elsewhere, exactly what is achieved aside from another months flooring......probably lost 5 or so sales myself last month because of head scratching payments....and Im one of 20 guys ( granted my base is previous customers, Municipalities, Fleet ) so potentially that's 100 deals gone awry, how many dealers in the US 1800?......

Deanh sir, are your lost sales both municipal/fleet and retail customers? Ford seems to be reducing fleet sales intentionally to improve their profitability. Just like GM and FCA US did. However the decline in retail sales is a concern not just for dealership sales professionals but for Ford too.

@rperez....little bit across the board...but more retail customers than anything else....when payments are higher than the competition, retail customers shop elsewhere, loyaly only gos so far. as for reducing fleet sales, Fords cut down on the BAD fleet ( ie dumping to rental companies ) but their sales to Govt, municipalities and large Fleet management companies ( GE Capitol, ARI, Wheels INC etc ) is thriving, and remember, the companies those management companies cater to have choices, not just Fords product.

• Like 1