Navigator Reviews

IMO its more about hype than anything else...we are still about 5-10-15 years out before there is mainstream acceptance of electric cars. Given how slow the car market turnover rate is (people are holding on to cars longer than ever before-not to mention they are more expensive than ever before) Its going to take that long before they start making a major market penetration of more than roughly 160K units (PHEV/EV) sold in North America.

Given the current energy model I would agree with you. However, I think if consumers had more control over their energy (home generated solar, wind, or whatever) then there would be more desire to switch. I would rather drive a clean energy vehicle that I could produce energy for at home, the tech will catch up soon for fast charging and a better charging grid; in the meantime a hybrid setup with a gas engine just for charging. Unfortunately for many their local utilities have enough power (politically) that they can keep green energy out or cost prohibitive.

"More money" doesn't necessarily mean "more effective" when it comes to advertising in 2017. Particularly when viewership of the "regular" networks (ABC, CBS, NBC, Fox and CW) and sporting events has been declining, and people can simply block out commercials.

The recent promotion that sticks in my mind is the series of short films that were made around the new Continental, and were featured on various media sites (not network television).

Edited by grbeck

Why product placement is so important in Movies and TV shows. Modern Family always has new cars from year to year and a few are always Toyota's. Police drama's usually use either Ford or GM exclusively. They pay a lot of money for that. It is not new though -- There is a reason they are called Soap Operas.

Edited by jasonj80

I'll reiterate... Lincoln will enjoy continued investment and attention for the near and mid-future. As long as things stay on the rails, that shouldn't change.

I'm not as cold on Hackett as many here. He was handed a mess of projects and misallocated funding. Remember that things had been budgeted and planned as they were, and the amount of changes and corrections he's been able to force is just this side of miraculous. He's an 18-24 month guy to perform triage until the long-term choice moves in.

Well, you know more than I (or most of us) do, so I'll trust your information. Good to hear things are being shifted around for the better.

One telling sign that this is a great design, is that the auto rags don't seem to make some comment about "Ford underpinnings", "Ford Roots", or something to remind everyone that they feel that it is a Ford with different leather in every single paragraph like they do with every Lincoln.

One telling sign that this is a great design, is that the auto rags don't seem to make some comment about "Ford underpinnings", "Ford Roots", or something to remind everyone that they feel that it is a Ford with different leather in every single paragraph like they do with every Lincoln.

Probably because it's not FWD....

• Like 1

That's a good point. I didn't even notice.

The only Ford mention they made was the Raptor engine it uses, which isn't a bad connection.

I am so glad that they used the Raptor engine for the Navi to further differentiate from Expy. Not just using the 93 octane tune for the same engine in the Expedition. This vehicle isn't for me but I think as long as gas prices stay under 4 bucks a gallon I think it will be a hit. I am wondering though if going the airbag suspension route would have made it even better. Not sure if it's worth the extra cost though.

On another note, do we think the revamped MKX will get the 3.0 versus the 2.7? I think that would be the next logical step. Although 400hp is a lot for the MKX to handle.

I am so glad that they used the Raptor engine for the Navi to further differentiate from Expy. Not just using the 93 octane tune for the same engine in the Expedition. This vehicle isn't for me but I think as long as gas prices stay under 4 bucks a gallon I think it will be a hit. I am wondering though if going the airbag suspension route would have made it even better. Not sure if it's worth the extra cost though.

On another note, do we think the revamped MKX will get the 3.0 versus the 2.7? I think that would be the next logical step. Although 400hp is a lot for the MKX to handle.

100% yes, MKX will get the 3.0. No reason for it not to.

I really don't think it's a lot for MKX to handle either.

I certainly expect the new MKX to get the 3.0EB. If it works in the MkZ it should work in the heavier MKX.

Having had a 3.0 MKZ, I would say that it was almost too much power for that platform. I know there is a ton of torque management going on there (probably for the transmission) but the platform itself didn't really exude confidence when hammering the throttle. I have driven two MKZ's 3.0's (mine and dealer) and I came away feeling like it could be a tad more rigid. I am sure the suspension setup didn't help (even in Sport) but seat of the pants feel made it feel a bit floppy. Don't get me wrong give me more power all the time but I think 400hp is all the platform really can handle. The next one whatever they call it needs to be more rigid in my book.

Having had a 3.0 MKZ, I would say that it was almost too much power for that platform. I know there is a ton of torque management going on there (probably for the transmission) but the platform itself didn't really exude confidence when hammering the throttle. I have driven two MKZ's 3.0's (mine and dealer) and I came away feeling like it could be a tad more rigid. I am sure the suspension setup didn't help (even in Sport) but seat of the pants feel made it feel a bit floppy. Don't get me wrong give me more power all the time but I think 400hp is all the platform really can handle. The next one whatever they call it needs to be more rigid in my book.

Don't forget the MKX was new for 2016 and came 3 years later than MKX. Plus this would be the second gen MKX and could have other chassis improvements to handle the power better.