2019 Ford Ranger Speculation thread

Here's an interesting front view of all the F-150 engine choices except the diesel. Notice how wide and low the turbos sit on the EB engines. Add to that the fact that the exhaust manifolds on the 2.7 are an integral part of the cylinder heads and it starts to become questionable whether or not that engine will even fit between the frame rails of the T6. I would also expect that relocating the turbos becomes a major undertaking because they are probably bolted directly to those immovable exhaust manifolds. Brace yourselves for the 2.3L EB in the Ranger and Bronco.

post-22574-0-09645500-1515532481_thumb.jpg

I'm hearing Bronco got bumped back a model year. Hear anything Fuzzy?

Not a word. Doesnt surprise me though, I keep being told by both union and management Ill be laid off for over a year until the Bronco launches so that makes sense

Yet another promise in the contract they break

Here's an interesting front view of all the F-150 engine choices except the diesel. Notice how wide and low the turbos sit on the EB engines. Add to that the fact that the exhaust manifolds on the 2.7 are an integral part of the cylinder heads and it starts to become questionable whether or not that engine will even fit between the frame rails of the T6. I would also expect that relocating the turbos becomes a major undertaking because they are probably bolted directly to those immovable exhaust manifolds. Brace yourselves for the 2.3L EB in the Ranger and Bronco.

DSyS6W-XcAAAGFS.jpg

if I cant get a V6 eco boost, give me the 3.3 from the F-150 and for the love of god please dont make it the base engine...

I'm hearing Bronco got bumped back a model year. Hear anything Fuzzy?

I have heard the Bronco being referenced to as a 2021 Model Year. But I cannot post that with confidence. People up in MAP don't know the difference from MY to CY. I've heard 21 months til Bronco. But is that from the day Focus is done? Or the launch of the Ranger? My gut (and brain) tells me thats from the end of focus. I could not get a detailed answer though.

attachicon.gifDSyS6W-XcAAAGFS.jpg

I won't give up on the idea of the 2.7L just yet. That 5.0 can physically fit in there (I am pretty sure you have seen the Aussie Ranger with the blown Falcon Coyote) F-150 3.5L EB's turbo's are far different than what came in the SHO which is a tighter package.

I have heard the Bronco being referenced to as a 2021 Model Year. But I cannot post that with confidence. People up in MAP don't know the difference from MY to CY. I've heard 21 months til Bronco. But is that from the day Focus is done? Or the launch of the Ranger? My gut (and brain) tells me thats from the end of focus. I could not get a detailed answer though.

CY or MY, either way Im sitting at home a loooooong time...

I won't be surprised if Bronco gets delayed another model year to 2021 in anticipation of high Ranger demands. But I am wondering something though. I know Ford is just updating the global Ranger for American market but with updated/different styling cues for front end to differentiate it from global markets but I'm wondering the details of the T6 Ranger's frame? I know it is a tough frame with good reviews but is it fully-boxed or partial boxed/c-channel? I can't seem to find any info anywhere regarding this. If anyone can tell me whether or not the T6 is fully-boxed frame would be great. I think it is and hope it is. Or at least hope for an updated frame to make it fully-boxed because it would seem a backwards step to have the F-Series fully-boxed but the 2019 Ranger be partial c-channel.

I won't be surprised if Bronco gets delayed another model year to 2021 in anticipation of high Ranger demands. But I am wondering something though. I know Ford is just updating the global Ranger for American market but with updated/different styling cues for front end to differentiate it from global markets but I'm wondering the details of the T6 Ranger's frame? I know it is a tough frame with good reviews but is it fully-boxed or partial boxed/c-channel? I can't seem to find any info anywhere regarding this. If anyone can tell me whether or not the T6 is fully-boxed frame would be great. I think it is and hope it is. Or at least hope for an updated frame to make it fully-boxed because it would seem a backwards step to have the F-Series fully-boxed but the 2019 Ranger be partial c-channel.

Another way of thinking about this is the T6 Ranger first launched in 2011...which would be 10 years ago. Its getting an update for 2019- but a full on replacement should be coming in the next three years-which would also make sense to keep the Bronco on more or less the same cadence.

Ford really fucked up showing off both the Ranger and Bronco last year if this is the case...almost 24 months for the Ranger to be in the show room and the Bronco at least 30-36 months after NAIAS in 2017...

• Like 1

Yeah no the only reason Ford announced it when they did was because they didnt have shit else to show or talk about and they needed something

Given how badly everything was done with last years auto show schedule with the Mustang, Expedition, etc...I wonder why the ball was dropped so badly.

• Like 1

I won't give up on the idea of the 2.7L just yet. That 5.0 can physically fit in there (I am pretty sure you have seen the Aussie Ranger with the blown Falcon Coyote) F-150 3.5L EB's turbo's are far different than what came in the SHO which is a tighter package.

I'm the one who posted that vid here.

There is a major difference between the 2.7 and 3.5 EBs. The exhaust manifolds on the 2.7 are cast as part of the cylinder head which means the turbos bolt directly to the heads. Ford does not build a non-turbo 2.7.

The 3.5, on the other hand, has separate exhaust manifolds which means each chassis that it is used in can use unique exhaust manifolds and because the turbos bolt to the exhaust manifolds, the turbos can be positioned differently for each vehicle.

Is it cost effective to cast different heads just to fit the 2.7 in the Ranger (if necessary) when it does not have significantly higher output than the in-line 4 cyl 2.3L EB, especially when that engine is already putting out more power than their competition?

Edited by blksn8k2

jpd80 has said the T6 has a fully boxed frame. Here are a couple of frame pics but I couldn't tell for sure if it is or not.

Not that it means anything here other than time frame but the last gen Sport Trac had a fully boxed frame starting way back in 2007...

post-22574-0-72834400-1515593234_thumb.jpgpost-22574-0-30933000-1515593251_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

But building buzz! Pent up demand!

Yeah no the only reason Ford announced it when they did was because they didnt have shit else to show or talk about and they needed something

The ridiculous thing is - they DID have other stuff to show. F-150 refresh, Mustang refresh, and all-new Expedition all had to be shown.

They chose to have F-150 at its own event the night before NAIAS, Mustang just randomly showed up at an auto show months later without any sort of debut, and Expy had the terrible event at the Cowboys facility.

Another way of thinking about this is the T6 Ranger first launched in 2011...which would be 10 years ago. Its getting an update for 2019- but a full on replacement should be coming in the next three years-which would also make sense to keep the Bronco on more or less the same cadence.

Ford really fucked up showing off both the Ranger and Bronco last year if this is the case...almost 24 months for the Ranger to be in the show room and the Bronco at least 30-36 months after NAIAS in 2017...

That's why we thought we'd get a straight up redesigned version of the Ranger rather than a updated ROW model.

• Like 1

actually the Mustang was unceremoniously plopped onto the show floor on the day the show opened to the public. A lot of media people were really pissed about that.

That's what I said (maybe I had the months part wrong....I thought it showed up at Chicago, not NAIAS).

actually the Mustang was unceremoniously plopped onto the show floor on the day the show opened to the public. A lot of media people were really pissed about that.

I thought it was the day after?

Really makes you wonder why the ball was dropped so badly...

jpd80 has said the T6 has a fully boxed frame. Here are a couple of frame pics but I couldn't tell for sure if it is or not.

Not that it means anything here other than time frame but the last gen Sport Trac had a fully boxed frame starting way back in 2007...

attachicon.gif2019-ford-ranger-spy-photo (2).jpgattachicon.gif2019-ford-ranger-spy-photo (3).jpg

T6 Ranger uses boxed frame for strength, the only time you'd use C Channel is to make up-fitting of cutaway trucks easier

2011-09-26_11-19-00_0.jpg

2012-Ford-Ranger-Review-14.jpg

Edited by jpd80

Spotted about half an hour ago very close to where I live. If this isn't the US version, I don't know what is. Wish there was a better pic of the front end but that's all I have. That 3.2 badge on the fender is curious...

post-51555-0-08643300-1515623862_thumb.jpgpost-51555-0-32600900-1515623870_thumb.jpgpost-51555-0-00883900-1515623879_thumb.jpg

Edit: Comparing it with other pics out there, I don't think it's our version.

Edited by fuzzymoomoo
  • Like 1

Spotted about half an hour ago very close to where I live. If this isn't the US version, I don't know what is. Wish there was a better pic of the front end but that's all I have. That 3.2 badge on the fender is curious...

attachicon.gifIMG_3309.JPGattachicon.gifIMG_3310.JPGattachicon.gifIMG_3311.JPG

Edit: Comparing it with other pics out there, I don't think it's our version.

Looks like the rear bumper is a little twisted.

Yeah I have known about the T6 Ranger's launch in 2011. I remember that it wasn't initially designed for American market but the past few updates have fixed that. I also known about the fact that a full replacement is coming within three years or so. I'm guessing likely 2022 or 2023 with new Bronco around 2023 or 2024 if not another year or two after that. This is what Ford did with the Transit Connect in 2010. They sent what was our first generation here while that version was on its way out. We got 'all-new' one within a few years that Europe had for a year or two. Makes sense for Ford to do this with the Ranger though I figured it would be fully redesigned by now considering it's been almost 10 years now, as rmc had said.

Given how badly everything was done with last years auto show schedule with the Mustang, Expedition, etc...I wonder why the ball was dropped so badly.

Yes, I too, was disappointed with last year's pathetic showing. Quick showing of the F-150 as it drove on stage without any details while releasing info and photos prior, doing the Expedition as a separate event with the failed projection, Mustang being shown during the public viewing of the auto show, and then that dreadful long boring-ass conference about City of Tomorrow, or whatever it's called. Hoping Hatch-It will do it better this year though I'm not holding my breath.

attachicon.gif2019-ford-ranger-spy-photo (2).jpgattachicon.gif2019-ford-ranger-spy-photo (3).jpg

Thanks so much for these photos. I have seen these during my Google searches but the captions under the photos I seen on a site did not mention the details of the type of frame and I'm no expert on frames by looking at it since it's only the outer part of frame rather than inner part. So I couldn't tell if it was fully boxed by looking at it. Thanks for telling me.

T6 Ranger uses boxed frame for strength, the only time you'd use C Channel is to make up-fitting of cutaway trucks easier

2011-09-26_11-19-00_0.jpg

2012-Ford-Ranger-Review-14.jpg

Nice photos! Love how it looks and I'm now more super-excited about the updated T6 Ranger. Thanks so much for answering all of you who I quoted. I know the c-channel is used for upfitting like the Chassis-Cab Super Duty trucks and Econoline Cutaway as well as the competitors upfitting vehicles. I think all trucks aimed at public markets have fully-boxed frames now. I think the Toyota Tundra still has not changed since I remember it being fully c-channel when it first debuted many years ago.