S650 cancelled?

If Memory serves, they started development for S550 when the 2010 refresh launched for reference.

Correct, a little over four years before delivery of S550 in 2014.

2014 plus ten years is 2024, so four years prior to that is 2020.

either that or I'm looking at this in the wrong direction...

Merry Christmas all..

Edited by jpd80
  • Like 1

If you look back at over 50 years of Mustang production....it always did best when it was based on an existing sedan architecture....i.e., Falcon, Pinto, Fairmont...it is when it went on its own way is when sales lost steam. Coincidence?? Maybe...

Or it may have something to do with the fact that Ford no longer sells hundreds of thousands of Mustangs a year when people used to buy them as a primary personal vehicle. Look at all the best selling vehicle catagories of each decade and you will see now that Mustangs are a personal toy in a market dominated by family vehicles seeking passenger room and utility.

In the 1960s, Mustangs sold as a sensational new expression of a vehicle that had not existed before which buyers ate up. In the 1970s, Mustang II just coincidentally happen to be in the right place at the right time during gas shortages and the high demand for economy cars. The Mustang sold in the 1980s primarily for its refocus on high performance but never in numbers as huge as their sales record setting predesessors as the mass market switched to sedans and later SUVs.

The Mustang is now a survivor of the nearly vanished two door coupe market and the only thing that keeps it going are existing Mustang enthusiasts and the dwindling number of people who still want a personal performance car divided by all the similar vehicles offered by other brands. By those accounts Mustang still performs well enough to keep it in production. However the Mustang has to earn it's keep to continue.

Edited by StangBang
  • Like 3

I know it is sacrilege but I would like to see an all wheel drive mustang. I like having a convertible but two wheel drive on days like today just don't make sense for me. When it came time replace my old a4 convertible I wanted to get a mustang but at that winter was in full swing and just couldn't find my way to give up the all wheel drive. I have one more new car due before I retire so hopefully the AWD mustang will materialize

• Like 1

The day Ford stops building Mustangs is the day I stop buying new Fords all together, regardless of my employment status.

My sentiments precisely!!! I have been an extremely staunch Ford fan and supporter for virtually all of the 58+ years I've walked on this earth, but if they stop producing the Mustang, I'm done with them!!!

• Like 1

The Mustang is now a survivor of the nearly vanished two door coupe market and the only thing that keeps it going are existing Mustang enthusiasts and the dwindling number of people who still want a personal performance car divided by all the similar vehicles offered by other brands. By those accounts Mustang still performs well enough to keep it in production. However the Mustang has to earn it's keep to continue.

Look more closely at what's happened over the past ten years, Ford has been steadily racheting up the cost of Mustang

in GT and especially GT Premium which is still by far the more popular of the two GTs... with that, the sales mix of GEN 6

GTs has remained well over 40%. So IMO, the rusted on v8 buyers have remained while Ford converts the V6 segment

to 2.3 Ecoboost buyers.

Curiously, Ford discovered that the segment buyers with most interest in Bronco are actually Mustang owners.....

Edited by jpd80
  • Like 2

I know it is sacrilege but I would like to see an all wheel drive mustang. I like having a convertible but two wheel drive on days like today just don't make sense for me. When it came time replace my old a4 convertible I wanted to get a mustang but at that winter was in full swing and just couldn't find my way to give up the all wheel drive. I have one more new car due before I retire so hopefully the AWD mustang will materialize

Try a rwd with a limited slip diff and snow tires in the winter sometime. You'll never lack traction even in deep snow. I didn't believe it either before I tried it with a ranger. Now I have no reason for AWD/4WD for winter driving anymore. If it works in a ranger with a 70/30 weight distribution, it'll definitely work on a mustang.

Edited by Sevensecondsuv

I have been driving for 40 years, rear wheel, front wheel and all wheel drive vehicles, ( my first two cars were a 67 de vile convertible and a Volvo 144) so I can say that nothing's beats today's modern all drive for getting through the icey mess . Both our Escape and Audi stick to the road in the worst weather. Around here all the cops now have explorers, you don't see any chargers or caprice. You know why, the AWD systems. Nough said

I have been driving for 40 years, rear wheel, front wheel and all wheel drive vehicles, ( my first two cars were a 67 de vile convertible and a Volvo 144) so I can say that nothing's beats today's modern all drive for getting through the icey mess . Both our Escape and Audi stick to the road in the worst weather. Around here all the cops now have explorers, you don't see any chargers or caprice. You know why, the AWD systems. Nough said

Don't knock it 'till you've tried it. As someone who has, a simple rwd with L/S and snow tires will have more traction than a 4wd/AWD with all-season tires will. My ranger will drive uphill from a stop in 8+" inches of snow. Hard to believe I know but you've got to try it to believe it.

The importance of correct tire selection in snow belt states cannot be understated,

RWD, FWD and AWD all perform better with the right tires matched to conditions.

Having said that, RWDs are the most sensitive to tire selection in extreme winter conditions and where

you might get by with the latest tech all season tire on a FWD/AWD, you will struggle in a RWD vehicle.

RWDs need correct season tires, you cannot economize with an all season and expect them to work in snow..

Bottom line with having a performance car like Mustang is enjoying it nine months of the year

and watching yourself in the dead of winter when roads become perilous for all road users.

Edited by jpd80

My sentiments precisely!!! I have been an extremely staunch Ford fan and supporter for virtually all of the 58+ years I've walked on this earth, but if they stop producing the Mustang, I'm done with them!!!

I personally hope the Mustang continues. It may have to change in some ways to sell in a contemporary market.

I personally hope the Mustang continues. It may have to change in some ways to sell in a contemporary market.

If you look back at over 50 years of Mustang production....it always did best when it was based on an existing sedan architecture....i.e., Falcon, Pinto, Fairmont...it is when it went on its own way is when sales lost steam. Coincidence?? Maybe...

Platform sharing AWD Mustang and Lincoln? Maybe a CUV as well?

Edited by SteelyD

Platform sharing AWD Mustang and Lincoln? Maybe a CUV as well?

Shades of Aussie Falcon sedan & Pickup and Territory Utility....or closer to home, the thinking man's Alpha...

There has to be a way for niche RWD buyers to get what they want and for Ford to charge them heaps in the process..

Edited by jpd80

From the standpoint of sales, perhaps. But in all other areas, no way! The Pinto-based Mustang II and the Fairmont-based Fox-body Mustangs are inferior in every way to the "stand alone" architecture based Mustangs, which debuted in 2005, 2010, 2015, and now 2018. SN-95, S197, and S550. Looking at aspects such as engine performance, braking, handling, ride dynamics, interior design, and quality, these "stand alone" Mustangs are far, far superior.

• Like 2

From the standpoint of sales, perhaps. But in all other areas, no way! The Pinto-based Mustang II and the Fairmont-based Fox-body Mustangs are inferior in every way to the "stand alone" architecture based Mustangs, which debuted in 2005, 2010, 2015, and now 2018. SN-95, S197, and S550. Looking at aspects such as engine performance, braking, handling, ride dynamics, interior design, and quality, these "stand alone" Mustangs are far, far superior.

Nitpicking here, but the SN-95 was the 1994-2004 models. S197 covered 2005-2014.

Of course they were "inferior" compared to the latter models...but since sales and profits are the ONLY metrics that count, I stand by my statements.

Of course they were "inferior" compared to the latter models...but since sales and profits are the ONLY metrics that count, I stand by my statements.

If sales and profits are the ONLY metrics that count, why did they build Ford GT? Why participate in motorsports? The Pinto based Mustang was a joke and while the Fox bodies have a loyal following, they were left rotting on the vine in later years.

In addition to sales and profits, the Mustang is also an image builder and a model that increases brand loyalty...when it is competitive. The Mustang enthusiast/buyer will want a sedan or truck at some point (if not at the same time they own a Mustang) so they are likely to look at Ford products for those needs. I maintain that many Fusion or Focus buyers could just as easily have bought a Camry or Corolla. A real Mustang enthusiast will not buy a Camaro or Challenger....UNLESS the Mustang becomes completely noncompetitive.

I am not saying that the Mustang couldn't share a platform with a sedan but it better be an extremely good platform.

If sales and profits are the ONLY metrics that count, why did they build Ford GT? Why participate in motorsports? The Pinto based Mustang was a joke and while the Fox bodies have a loyal following, they were left rotting on the vine in later years.

In addition to sales and profits, the Mustang is also an image builder and a model that increases brand loyalty...when it is competitive. The Mustang enthusiast/buyer will want a sedan or truck at some point (if not at the same time they own a Mustang) so they are likely to look at Ford products for those needs. I maintain that many Fusion or Focus buyers could just as easily have bought a Camry or Corolla. A real Mustang enthusiast will not buy a Camaro or Challenger....UNLESS the Mustang becomes completely noncompetitive.

I am not saying that the Mustang couldn't share a platform with a sedan but it better be an extremely good platform.

Ford GT is a "halo car" that showcases technology that will trickle down to the rest of the line eventually so it is platform to display future tech....As we have all seen, motorsports has a lessening impact on todays buyers as the buyer gets more tech savvy and less "go-fast" savvy...I can agree that image building with better performing Mustangs is always a good thing, the average Mustang owner has another vehicle to drive during inclement weather so as to preserve the 'Stang from the ravages of Ole Man Winter and his buddy, the Salt Monster...I am a fierce and loyal Ford guy and would not consider another brand, ever...but at the end of the day, if it ain't selling and the company ain't making $$$ on the product, either move on, or close the doors..and I seriously do not EVER want to see Ford close the door...so they need to sell more Mustangs to keep Mustang relevant and to keep Mustang relevant, they need to increase its appeal while staying pure to roots of Mustang heritage...but, if Ford can improve the chassis that underpins Mustang and bring those improvements to other cars that utilize said chassis, all the better...which is why CD6 is likely to supplant S550 or see some sort of melding of the two going forward eliminating the case for S650 altogether.

• Like 2