HotRunrGuy

2018 25K 1.5L EB Coolant loss

Well, here we go. Mine has been sipping some coolant lose. Have had to add a very small amount of coolant over the last month or two. Couple of rough starts in the last month. Plugged in Forscan and I do have a P0316 DTC. Misfire on the first 1000 revs. Thank goodness I have 100,000 PowerTrain. I currently have 32,000 miles.

Stopped by the Ford dealer. They said it’s a good thing I have the 2.0 cause the 1.5 is on backorder. Like that gives me a warm and fuzzy.

Traded in my 2013 2.0 Titanium for:
2017 Lightning Blue Titanium | 2.0. | AWD | Pano Roof | Tow Package
Sport Appearance Package | Roof Racks

Engine light came on today. Codes 0302 and 0316. Looks like cylinder #2 is getting coolant intrusion. I was so hoping my 2.0 was safe. Time to take it in. 

It’s been confirmed. 33000 miles with coolant intrusion. I’m getting a long block. 

More-than likely my last Ford. Such a shame, this vehicle is outfitted perfectly. What has happened to Ford?

This is being covered under warranty, right?  The dealer that did mine could not have been any better, immediately supplied a loaner for the duration, kept me informed on the status. Was there some inconvenience, sure.   But no-where near enough for me to swear off the brand.

HRG

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, HotRunrGuy said:

This is being covered under warranty, right?  The dealer that did mine could not have been any better, immediately supplied a loaner for the duration, kept me informed on the status. Was there some inconvenience, sure.   But no-where near enough for me to swear off the brand.

HRG

Yes, I’m still under factory warranty. And I got really lucky with my service advisor, really nice guy. He thanked me for doing all the diagnostic research for him. Haha. I told him about the symptoms and the codes I read and wrote the TSB number. 

And I love my Escape sooo much. But here’s the big question. What’s different about the engine they are going to drop in from the old one? Will it last 200,000 plus miles? Is the only difference those little slits between the cylinders?

I have PowerTrain warranty until 100,000/2024,  so I guess I have that much time to ponder. 

Edited by Escapism

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Escapism said:

...I love my Escape sooo much. But here’s the big question. What’s different about the engine they are going to drop in from the old one? Will it last 200,000 plus miles? Is the only difference those little slits between the cylinders?

Since the upgraded cooling passages will only be a positive for you, I would say your Escape should give you plenty of use after the repair is completed. I am hoping you get a 2020 Escape loaner for comparison review.

Edited by twintornados

1 hour ago, Escapism said:

And I love my Escape sooo much. But here’s the big question. What’s different about the engine they are going to drop in from the old one? Will it last 200,000 plus miles? Is the only difference those little slits between the cylinders?

The EXACT same thing as the 1.5L, as we have been over several times on this thread: Cut passages vs drilled, I don't think anything else changed. Have seen a LOT of high mileage 2.0 Ecoboosts. Service the trans regularly and it should go a long way. 

So on the 2013-2016 Escape 2.0, what kind of high mileage are you seeing?  Just curious what you consider high mileage.  I'm only at 58k miles.  Did the trans a few thousand ago.  My bigger concern is that PTU.  Ford needs to put a drain and fill on it.

On 6/27/2020 at 10:54 AM, twintornados said:

Since the upgraded cooling passages will only be a positive for you, I would say your Escape should give you plenty of use after the repair is completed. I am hoping you get a 2020 Escape loaner for comparison review.

That would be awesome, I absolutely love my Escape. The 2017 Titanium with Sport Appearance package is the year Ford nailed it IMHO. 

I declined the loaner. With the virus I’ve got both kids home from college and my wife is furloughed. So I have 3 other cars to drive. And yes, keeping up the maintenance on 4 cars keeps me on my toes. Heck, had to make an excel spread sheet just to keep track. 

On 6/27/2020 at 4:43 PM, 92merc said:

So on the 2013-2016 Escape 2.0, what kind of high mileage are you seeing?  Just curious what you consider high mileage.  I'm only at 58k miles.  Did the trans a few thousand ago.  My bigger concern is that PTU.  Ford needs to put a drain and fill on it.

Remember that early 13's are nearly 8 years old. The average person drives something like 10-15k/yr? 20k/yr puts them easily at 150k miles. See a few at/near 200k. The trans is almost always the first failure and even then they can usually be PartyPack (R) -ed cheaper than a reman. Once in a while get a turbo due to wear on the waste gate rod/pivot. 

100% Totally agree on all the PTU's.