Jump to content
  • Custom Search


Sign in to follow this  
blwnsmoke

All North America plants are shutting down (Ford, FCA and GM)

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, blwnsmoke said:

 

Stopped reading about 1/4 of the way through.  We are not talking a year.  We are talking 2-4 weeks is all that is needed and there is 2 months supply on hand.  A month should not destroy a household and if it does, that is pour planning on their part financially.


Honestly for us as factory workers this comes with pretty good timing, we just got our profit sharing checks 2 weeks ago. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't mean to worry you guys but the French have suspended mortgage payments (and utilities?) for six months,

if you've got super low interest rates, maybe the bank's won't squeal that much if compensated in other areas..

 

Sorry to sound socialist but maybe this is the time to protect all those vulnerable folks from going under...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, jpd80 said:

Don't mean to worry you guys but the French have suspended mortgage payments (and utilities?) for six months,

if you've got super low interest rates, maybe the bank's won't squeal that much if compensated in other areas..

 

Sorry to sound socialist but maybe this is the time to protect all those vulnerable folks from going under...

I really  don't think it's socialist to ask these banks to temporarily  suspend their mortgage payments given the circumstances.  It's the least they could do as a thanks for federal savings insurance and the mere discussion of bank bailouts. I would also support a similar measure for student loans. (Absolutely no debt forgiveness however)

That said, I'm also not against letting certain exceptionally poorly run banks fail, we have to be careful not to encourage and promote bad banking practices by always bailing them out. 

Edited by probowler

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:


We pick up literally right where we left off. Same as Monday morning, we pick up right where we left off Friday. 

 

Depending on how long the plants are down (I personally think it could be months, not weeks) do you think there's a chance once production restarts they'll take the opportunity to start producing the '21MY cars straight away (assuming the relevant parts are available)?

 

For example, the Mustang is expected to get a light refresh (new front fascia etc).......and then there's the new colors etc. To me it makes sense to make the changeover whilst a plant is down/gearing up for production again.

 

I'm merely an enthusiast, and have no real knowledge of the logistics involved. To me it seems sensible, but I appreciate I may be way off base :)

Edited by Twin Turbo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, probowler said:

I would also support a similar measure for student loans


The Trump administration already announced that borrowers can opt to suspend payments for 60 days without interest.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Twin Turbo said:

 

Depending on how long the plants are down (I personally think it could be months, not weeks) do you think there's a chance once production restarts they'll take the opportunity to start producing the '21MY cars straight away (assuming the relevant parts are available)?

 

For example, the Mustang is expected to get a light refresh (new front fascia etc).......and then there's the new colors etc. To me it makes sense to make the changeover whilst a plant is down/gearing up for production again.

 

I'm merely an enthusiast, and have no real knowledge of the logistics involved. To me it seems sensible, but I appreciate I may be way off base :)


Depends on what the changeover schedule is and how many MY2020 orders are in the books. I don't think FRAP has started any preproduction 2021 builds yet. 

Edited by fuzzymoomoo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, jpd80 said:

Don't mean to worry you guys but the French have suspended mortgage payments (and utilities?) for six months,

if you've got super low interest rates, maybe the bank's won't squeal that much if compensated in other areas..

 

Sorry to sound socialist but maybe this is the time to protect all those vulnerable folks from going under...

 

I've gotten emails from my lenders (have two mortgages for two different properties) and they offering some sort of help with them if needed. I might take up the one with my condo rental depending on how things shake out-only reason I've hung on it is to do the right thing-I was upside down on it due to a refinance (at the height of the market 13 years ago) and its rented out. I have another 5 years or so till I can break even on it. Hopefully my tenant can make his payments still. 

 

My wife's job has been affected by this and she'll find out next week if she'll be able to go back to work after the 20th of next month after spring break for school or go on unemployment. She also visits clients in the evenings for training/etc (works with kids with autism), but that is up in the air now to, due to the restrictions the state I live in have put out and how terribly ran her company is (they put Ford to shame LOL). 

 

It will work out one way or another...I just have this feeling that we will be lucky to be going back to a new normal by the end of May...

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, blwnsmoke said:

 

Stopped reading about 1/4 of the way through.  We are not talking a year.  We are talking 2-4 weeks is all that is needed and there is 2 months supply on hand.  A month should not destroy a household and if it does, that is pour planning on their part financially.

I didn't say a year for the virus shutdown.  I said they could close for a year and still fulfill the needs of buyers with the inventory on the dealer lots right now!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Joe771476 said:

I didn't say a year for the virus shutdown.  I said they could close for a year and still fulfill the needs of buyers with the inventory on the dealer lots right now!

 

Not sure how that's possible.  On average Ford has 2-4 months of normal sales volume in inventory.  Even at half volume that's only about 6 months worth of sales and that doesn't take into account colors and trim levels, etc.   They'd be hurting after 2 months.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think this thing is going to go at least 4-6 months, it’s going to take that long to get in front of and stabilise infection numbers. The fortune part is that covid-19 is striking in spring and summer so it’s less likely to be mistaken for influenza.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×