2021 Ram TRX Raptor Slayer to be revealed this summer

probowler

7 minutes ago, tbone said:

I believe they could easily tune it to 550 without impacting much.  We know the motor is capable of at least 650hp from the factory at least.  

Yeah, I see torque being a minimum of like 530 here and HP conservatively 480.

This engine- whether updated or not- would even make a great performance engine for the Bronco, though I understand the current thinking is that will be the 3.0L.

5 minutes ago, akirby said:

Make it a 450 hp V8 and see how many are lining up.  It’s not the cylinder count it’s the HP.

I'll agree to dis-agree. 

That crowd has to have a V8, authentic big V8 sound, and a big V8 emblem/placard somewhere close to the hood of the truck were everyone can see.  It's the same concept of Harley Customer would never buy a smaller higher revving engine with a fake V twin sound EVEN if it had far better performance.  Now, younger riders like other stuff, but that does not mean it is smart to ignore the old school segment that has money and likes what they like. 

IMHO Ford would be smart to pay attention to that segment of the market, they already have the motor. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kev-Mo said:

I'll agree to dis-agree. 

That crowd has to have a V8, authentic big V8 sound, and a big V8 emblem/placard somewhere close to the hood of the truck were everyone can see.  It's the same concept of Harley Customer would never buy a smaller higher revving engine with a fake V twin sound EVEN if it had far better performance.  Now, younger riders like other stuff, but that does not mean it is smart to ignore the old school segment that has money and likes what they like. 

IMHO Ford would be smart to pay attention to that segment of the market, they already have the motor. 

Let’s be clear - I’m not talking about 700 hp v8s.  I’m saying that if they put the 7.3L in the Raptor as an extra charge engine the take rate would be relatively low (but not 0).  

2 hours ago, Kev-Mo said:

I'll agree to dis-agree. 

Just to let you know, that segment that cares about that is dying. Much like the Panther population 20-30 years before. N/A V8s still have their place for a little while longer. Supercharged V8s are a dead man walking with FCA walking it to the electric chair (all pun intended).

Much like Honda Civic’s with fart can mufflers, they will be loud and sound fast but will get whomped by new hybrid turbo/electric powertrains. So enjoy it while it lasts! I would gladly let GM or FCA go down that sound rabbit hole, while Ford kicks their butt in performance.

Oh and BTW, Harley is on the verge of going bankrupt because they focused too much on their boomer crowd that needs the sound without really focusing on attracting younger riders. 

• Like 1

Gang! Let’s take a step back for a moment. 

There are a few things at play here. First I’m a boomer and most of my friends are boomers and they’re not done buying Harleys or V8 trucks. 

That said Harley Davidson knows that they have to update or die. Now I don’t think the V8 is dead yet. In fact it won’t be for a long time maybe another generation or two. It will live on as a novelty for years to come that’s for sure. An American V8 is an icon of the motoring world. 

As such take a company like Ford. Ford dropped pretty much all passenger cars except for the Mustang. They did this because they wanted to focus on vehicles they do well and ones that can make them money. 

So you’ve got the Raptor. It is inherently a superior off road truck by virtue of it being the lightest most nimble truck of all the major manufacturers. 

Ford is ahead by a generation in my humble opinion when it comes to half ton pick up trucks. 

Sooo, FCA finally decides to answer the call of the Raptor. Their truck seems to be a good effort in many ways. The problem with FCA is they’re addicted to adding a blown hemi to everything along with obscene amounts of weight. 

If Ford wants to maintain leadership in the most important product line they make they don’t necessarily have to build the vehicle that wins in the magazine stats competition. Ford simply needs to build this important truck in ways that most people want. 

In my opinion the 3.5/hybrid/10 spd offered alongside a 7.3/10 speed tuned for more performance than its heavier duty role in bigger trucks would be a winning lineup. 

Let Ram build the Hellcat Truck. They can have the world’s best 0-60 time for a 4 X 4. Ford should keep it simple and be the best overall like they have been for eons. 

14 hours ago, akirby said:

Let’s be clear - I’m not talking about 700 hp v8s.  I’m saying that if they put the 7.3L in the Raptor as an extra charge engine the take rate would be relatively low (but not 0).  

I get what you are saying. If the power numbers are comparable I don’t think they could command much of a premium, however if the price for the V8 was only a $1000 or so, I’ll bet they would have quite a few takers over the 3.5. I would have chosen the V8 in that scenario. 

Glad to hear the GT500 engine is coming in the 2021 Raptor. (Even if it's detuned a bit) Now just add it to a 2WD RCSB, with a Lightning package and I will buy one. I've only been asking for a real gen 3 Lightning for 15 years. Looking at the 1/4 mile time or the TRX, Is see it is only 3 tenths quicker than Ford's quickest F150. (RCSB 5.0 2WD) 12.9 vs. 13.2 stock to stock.

58 minutes ago, tbone said:

I get what you are saying. If the power numbers are comparable I don’t think they could command much of a premium, however if the price for the V8 was only a $1000 or so, I’ll bet they would have quite a few takers over the 3.5. I would have chosen the V8 in that scenario. 

But probably not enough takers to justify the R&D...

20 minutes ago, LSchicago said:

Glad to hear the GT500 engine is coming in the 2021 Raptor. (Even if it's detuned a bit) Now just add it to a 2WD RCSB, with a Lightning package and I will buy one. I've only been asking for a real gen 3 Lightning for 15 years. Looking at the 1/4 mile time or the TRX, Is see it is only 3 tenths quicker than Ford's quickest F150. (RCSB 5.0 2WD) 12.9 vs. 13.2 stock to stock.

But aren’t the current 5.0L and 3.5Leb both faster than the old Lightning’s already? 

4 minutes ago, akirby said:

But aren’t the current 5.0L and 3.5Leb both faster than the old Lightning’s already? 

Yes, but this is not 2000 anymore. A new GT500 powered Lightning would be a solid mid 11 second truck stock. I'd trade my 18 GT for a new Lightning. The L pictured was my 2000. Ran 13.07 with just a tune and filter.

20689838_10154530048021580_5322678391050282730_o.jpg

Edited by LSchicago
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, akirby said:

No different than all those buyers that wanted manuals, or wagons or new crown vics.

Manuals,  wagons, are long gone. Crown vics would've sold again had they been updated. You can't expect to sell the same crap for 15 years with no changes. Even Dodge can sell decades old models with better drive trains installed. Ford should've updated the CV, and gave it a Coyote.

41 minutes ago, LSchicago said:

Manuals,  wagons, are long gone. Crown vics would've sold again had they been updated. You can't expect to sell the same crap for 15 years with no changes. Even Dodge can sell decades old models with better drive trains installed. Ford should've updated the CV, and gave it a Coyote.

Thanks for the laugh! Non luxury rwd sedans just fly off the lot right now. You know GM came out with the Chevy SS after the Crown Vic. It sold like crap and was discontinued.  While I love the idea of an oddball car, the Crown Vic needed to die. It was time. You may not of wanted it to but it was time. Sales don't support a car like the Crown Vic now.

FCA already has the 2 decade old platform with V8 market cornered that panders to sub prime lending...with lots of rebates on the hood.

Edited by jcartwright99
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, akirby said:

No different than all those buyers that wanted manuals, or wagons or new crown vics.

I don’t know that I would put this motor situation in the same category as those topics.  Probably the number one complaint about the current Raptor is the lack of V8. I don’t think people think the 3.5 is a bad motor, but in the performance truck Segment people still like V8s

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jcartwright99 said:

Thanks for the laugh! Non luxury rwd sedans just fly off the lot right now. You know GM came out with the Chevy SS after the Crown Vic. It sold like crap and was discontinued.  While I love the idea of an oddball car, the Crown Vic needed to die. It was time. You may not of wanted it to but it was time. Sales don't support a car like the Crown Vic now.

Well not many cars are selling now. Had they updated by 2005, it would've still sold to the public then. Instead they killed off public sales and made it police and government fleets only. Had they updated it then, it could still compete with the Chargers, which still sell fairly well for an outdated product with a few upgrades.

2 minutes ago, tbone said:

I don’t know that I would put this motor situation in the same category as those topics.  Probably the number one complaint about the current Raptor is the lack of V8. I don’t think people think the 3.5 is a bad motor, but in the performance truck Segment people still like V8s

I will never buy a V6 truck, that's for sure.

1 hour ago, LSchicago said:

Well not many cars are selling now. Had they updated by 2005, it would've still sold to the public then. Instead they killed off public sales and made it police and government fleets only. Had they updated it then, it could still compete with the Chargers, which still sell fairly well for an outdated product with a few upgrades.

It never sold to the public when it was new.  Only fleets bought them new - the panther mafia bought them used,  what did the crown Vic do that a modern unibody sedan doesn’t do 10 times better?