Mach-E Cop Cars?

3 minutes ago, blazerdude20 said:

This actually makes a ton of sense for future purpose built police cars. So much fuel is wasted on the PI idling just in case they have to take off quickly. The BEV can just sit and wait without wasting fuel or charge. Instant torque and movement.  

The new Hybrid PI is supposed to use less time at idle, however it seems the majority of departments are opting for the cheaper initial cost of the non hybrid powertrain. 

1 hour ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

The new Hybrid PI is supposed to use less time at idle, however it seems the majority of departments are opting for the cheaper initial cost of the non hybrid powertrain. 

Do electric motors wear out like IC engines do?

It would be interesting if you could carryover your old electric motor into your new patrol cars when upgrading your fleets. Soften some of those costs.

Edited by probowler

3 minutes ago, probowler said:

It would be interesting if you could carryover your old electric motor into your new patrol cars when upgrading your fleets. Soften some of those costs.

They do eventually wear out but they are much more durable and they do last longer. Less moving parts to fail. 

Are you suggesting ordering one from the factory without a motor? That would be like ordering at regular car without an engine because you have one sitting in your garage. It just doesn't work that way and I don't really see what the point of that would be.

2 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

They do eventually wear out but they are much more durable and they do last longer. Less moving parts to fail. 

Are you suggesting ordering one from the factory without a motor? That would be like ordering at regular car without an engine because you have one sitting in your garage. It just doesn't work that way and I don't really see what the point of that would be.

The point would be to save money. If your old electric motor is still good, why pay for a brand new one? If ford could design the electric motor to be easily swapped you could deliver new patrol vehicles to departments, drop in the old electric motor, and save a ton of money when you add up all those cars and reused motors.

41 minutes ago, probowler said:

The point would be to save money. If your old electric motor is still good, why pay for a brand new one? If ford could design the electric motor to be easily swapped you could deliver new patrol vehicles to departments, drop in the old electric motor, and save a ton of money when you add up all those cars and reused motors.

Interesting idea, but it probably depends on how much an electric motor costs.  Maybe a swap just wouldn't be worth it.

2 hours ago, probowler said:

It's not the motor that's the expensive part though, it's the batteries, and there's really no advantage to reusing an old battery. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, probowler said:

I could imagine that it would be mostly the bearings as AC and brushless DC motors have 

very few if any parts that actually "wear out". I'm sure that the electricians on the forum will 

correct any error in the above thinking.

Edited by jpd80

21 minutes ago, jpd80 said:

I could imagine that it would be mostly the bearings as AC and brushless DC motors have 

very few if any parts that actually "wear out". I'm sure that the electricians on the forum will 

correct any error in the above thinking.

Ive never seen an electric motor for a car wear out but I've seen plenty of smaller ones fry. 

8 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

Ive never seen an electric motor for a car wear out but I've seen plenty of smaller ones fry. 

I guess the nearest best example is a brushless DC electric drill, they do eventually fail...

Heat is the main enemy as it wrecks windings and degauses magnets.

Edited by jpd80

7 minutes ago, jpd80 said:

I guess the nearest best example is a brushless DC electric drill, they do eventually fail...

Heat is the main enemy as it wrecks windings and degauses magnets.

Yeah, I remember my model train days and the motors don't like heat. Especially the can motor....the expensive Pittman motors had more torque and thus were better pullers of heavy loads before overheating. The postwar Pullmor motors have brushes that wear out, but the motor won't go poof if you try to pull too many cars.....the loco wheels just spin.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, FordBuyer said:

Yeah, I remember my model train days and the motors don't like heat. Especially the can motor....the expensive Pittman motors had more torque and thus were better pullers of heavy loads before overheating. The postwar Pullmor motors have brushes that wear out, but the motor won't go poof if you try to pull too many cars.....the loco wheels just spin.

I blew one up as a kid just running it at full speed for an hour straight. 

• Haha 1

Back on topic.............I'd imagine most cop cars don't have the engine idling simply so that can take off at a moments notice, it'll be because the cops are using radios/computers in the car, whilst also being cooled by the aircon or warmed by the heater. I wonder what impact that would have on an EV's charge.