Robin Hood

New Build...Axle Ratio and GVWR opions requested

I'm looking for opinions on two new builds, regarding axle ratio and GVWR. Both trucks will be F350, SRW, CC, 4X4, diesel, long bed trucks. One will be driven empty around town or towing a 37' 5th wheel, weighing 18K. The other will be driven empty around town or towing bumper pull trailers, weighing 12K to 14k pounds. For the purpose of this discussion, lets assume the use is split 50/50.

Both of my current trucks are 11,400 GVWR. I added bags to the truck pulling the 5th wheel and ideally I should add bags to the other truck. Neither one was bad, but didn't sit level. The truck with the bags rides really nice, so I am afraid to over spring the truck with a higher GVWR for around town driving.

The truck I use for bumper pull is a 3.31 axle and I hate it. I tend to downshift to 5th around town, even when I am not towing. The truck used with the 5th wheel is a a 3.55 and I like it a lot better. I was planning to order a 3.55 on both new trucks, but I read in another post, that a 3.55 and a 3.73 are so close that there is not reason not to go with the 3.73. So that got me thinking, should both trucks be 3.73 or is that to much gear when I'm not towing.

I believe that you cannot ADD 3.73's to a diesel.. adding those will make you drop to the 6.2 gas....  BUT, I may be wrong

6 minutes ago, Ford truck guy said:

I believe that you cannot ADD 3.73's to a diesel.. adding those will make you drop to the 6.2 gas....  BUT, I may be wrong

You are correct.   Diesel only allows 3.31 and 3.55.

20 hours ago, Robin Hood said:

I'm looking for opinions on two new builds, regarding axle ratio and GVWR. Both trucks will be F350, SRW, CC, 4X4, diesel, long bed trucks. One will be driven empty around town or towing a 37' 5th wheel, weighing 18K. The other will be driven empty around town or towing bumper pull trailers, weighing 12K to 14k pounds. For the purpose of this discussion, lets assume the use is split 50/50.

Both of my current trucks are 11,400 GVWR. I added bags to the truck pulling the 5th wheel and ideally I should add bags to the other truck. Neither one was bad, but didn't sit level. The truck with the bags rides really nice, so I am afraid to over spring the truck with a higher GVWR for around town driving.

The truck I use for bumper pull is a 3.31 axle and I hate it. I tend to downshift to 5th around town, even when I am not towing. The truck used with the 5th wheel is a a 3.55 and I like it a lot better. I was planning to order a 3.55 on both new trucks, but I read in another post, that a 3.55 and a 3.73 are so close that there is not reason not to go with the 3.73. So that got me thinking, should both trucks be 3.73 or is that to much gear when I'm not towing.

With 10 speed transmission you essentially have extra gears.  Are you sure you want SRW with an 18K 5th wheel?  Lots of people end up switching to DRW with that size trailer.

Analysis I saw in RV dot net, the 3.31 is better for towing than 3.55.  I don't recall if you can step up to 4.3(?).

18k is going to have a heavy pin weight.  You may be undersized for payload capacity with SRW.

13 hours ago, Ford truck guy said:

13 hours ago, akirby said:

You are correct.   Diesel only allows 3.31 and 3.55.

thanks!...Yep, it showed as an option and it never crossed my mind it wasn't available. That pretty much answers one question.

1 hour ago, ScottK1 said:

With 10 speed transmission you essentially have extra gears.  Are you sure you want SRW with an 18K 5th wheel?  Lots of people end up switching to DRW with that size trailer.

Positive about the SRW, but only with a long bed. My current truck pulls the trailer with no issues at all. It's a pleasure to drive and very predictable..

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, road turtle said:

Analysis I saw in RV dot net, the 3.31 is better for towing than 3.55.  I don't recall if you can step up to 4.3(?).

18k is going to have a heavy pin weight.  You may be undersized for payload capacity with SRW.

If I read the same thing, I'm not sure I agree. It would definitely take some more convincing. Anyone else want to chime in on this?

Edited by Robin Hood

I'll go..  My 2020 Redwood is 17,500# ready to roll....... the difference from my old 2015 F-350 to my 2020 F-350 is truly night and day...   With the new trucks, the new norm for DRW has shifted a bit higher.. Although, I am only a weekend warrior and do not put a ton of miles on, once I go to fulltime, I will be in a DRW.. I have panic stopped with zero issues... I have been in 40 mph cross winds with zero issues.... never have I felt the tail wagging the dog...

3kVwQT0l.jpg

CN0L9pSl.jpg

Nice trailer, and was on our short list.... that is until we found the Artic Fox 27-5L

Thanks... no Arctic Fox dealers were near us when we ordered our first Redwood back in 2015

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, Ford truck guy said:

Thanks... no Arctic Fox dealers were near us when we ordered our first Redwood back in 2015

Did you order or buy off the lot? What gear ratio did you go with and why? What GVWR package is on the truck. It looks like the rear end squats just a little, do you wish you had a higher GVWR or bags? Would you do anything different if you ordered today?

Edited by Robin Hood

2 hours ago, Robin Hood said:

Did you order or buy off the lot? What gear ratio did you go with and why? What GVWR package is on the truck. It looks like the rear end squats just a little, do you wish you had a higher GVWR or bags? Would you do anything different if you ordered today?

I special ordered. I wanted the 3.55 and 12,400 GVW.. The 1st picture (in my driveway )  was my first trip with the truck before bags..... I have Firestone Ride Rite bags aired to 35 when towing to level it out. For our camping needs, I wouldn't want anything else right now.

5 hours ago, Ford truck guy said:

I special ordered. I wanted the 3.55 and 12,400 GVW.. The 1st picture (in my driveway )  was my first trip with the truck before bags..... I have Firestone Ride Rite bags aired to 35 when towing to level it out. For our camping needs, I wouldn't want anything else right now.

How does the truck ride when empty in the back with the 12,400 GVWR?

2 hours ago, Robin Hood said:

How does the truck ride when empty in the back with the 12,400 GVWR?

Like a dream.... I drop my bags down to 5psi and run it.... With the long bed, the wheelbase allows the truck to glide more over bumps, then choppy like the short Beds.... 

This is by far the very best riding truck I have ever driven....Night and Dy better than my 2015 F-350