Jump to content

The Ford Order Tracking System Is No Longer Available.  THANKS Cyberdman For Making Available All Of These Past Years.  More Here.

JohnnyG

F450 Extended Warranty - Should I get one?

Recommended Posts

I had the good fortune of being able to purchase a lifetime warranty for my 2016 Jeep Wrangler. That policy has paid off a few times over (oil cooler, trans, transfer case seals, heater housing.) I'm never concerned about a large unforeseen service bill for that vehicle.

 

In 2003, I purchased a Ford Excursion with a 6.0 diesel. Once the factory warranty ran out, it was always in the back of my mind that the Excursion could leave me stranded with a giant service bill.

 

My 2022 F450 Platinum is on its way to the dealership. Should I get an extended warranty? Are there options for different warranty policies?

 

Thanks

 

-G

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Yes. My dealer told me a story about a customer driving a 2016 F150 platinum that had an electrical issue that fried the cameras and the power running boards, that repair cost upwards of $4000 CAD, if he’d had the extended warranty he’d have been out of pocket $0. 
 

the LED lights are prone to failure, and would make you sick to your stomach to replace on your own dime. I’m an extended warranty kinda guy, just for the peace of mind. 

Edited by Dr-Bear-PhD

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would wait to purchase the extended warranty.   You can purchase it any time before the bumper to bumper expires. 

If you purchase it when the vehicle is new then the truck gets stolen or totaled in an accident before the bumper to bumper expires, you lose all of that money for nothing.  Plus it will give you a chance to see how reliable your particular truck is going to be.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Modit2 said:

I would wait to purchase the extended warranty.   You can purchase it any time before the bumper to bumper expires. 

If you purchase it when the vehicle is new then the truck gets stolen or totaled in an accident before the bumper to bumper expires, you lose all of that money for nothing.  Plus it will give you a chance to see how reliable your particular truck is going to be.

 

Highlighted in Red above is not true for most reputable extended warranties since they are refundable (on a prorated basis).  If you sell, total, or have your vehicle stolen before the bumper to bumper expires, then you simply ask for the extended warranty be cancelled and the balance of the policy money be refunded.  There is usually a 30/60/90 day full refund (depending on the contract), and then a $100 admin fee to cancel after that.  READ YOUR CONTRACT!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't often purchase additional warranties, so definitely wasn't interested at time of purchase. Since it has bumper to bumper for 3-yrs, why give them money 3-yrs ahead of the warranty being required.

 

Once I have owned the truck for almost 3-yrs, I'll decide on the pros/cons of extending the warranty. By then I will know how the truck is performing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I will purchase the 8 year 100k warranty when my truck is coming close to the 3 year mark (I will not be close to the 36,000 mile mark so will hit the time first).

 

I have put a stupid amount of money into accessories and upgrades for this truck that total around $7000 (what's a few k more at this point)  The warranty is around $2100 now, maybe be $2500 in 2 years 3 months. The way I look at it is like this.....

 

I added spray in bed liner, mud flaps, seatcovers, floor mats to protect parts of my truck ifrom damage and all of that totals out to around $1700. Why not spend 2000 or 2500 to protect my bank account from damage.

 

I am sure that within 5 years after factory warranty (8 years total from purchase) I will have something or some things fail on the truck that will cost me at least 1000... so at that point my mechanical insurance for large ticket items is costing my 1000-1500.

 

I am OK with that.

 

 

Edited by IUEC135ELEVATOR

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, FloralIndustries said:

 

Highlighted in Red above is not true for most reputable extended warranties since they are refundable (on a prorated basis).  If you sell, total, or have your vehicle stolen before the bumper to bumper expires, then you simply ask for the extended warranty be cancelled and the balance of the policy money be refunded.  There is usually a 30/60/90 day full refund (depending on the contract), and then a $100 admin fee to cancel after that.  READ YOUR CONTRACT!!!

Correct, but the clock starts when the vehicle is purchased new.

I purchased an extended warranty on my last truck when the vehicle was new.  I had intended for that to be the the last truck I own but it didn't work out that way.  I sold it with a month and 1800 miles left on the bumper to bumper warranty.  The 6 year 100k ESP cost me $2800.

I got a refund of $1400.  I got exactly zero value for the $1400 I didn't get back.  I lost that whole $1400.  It never even bought me a shred of peace of mind.  That is a horrible deal and I will never do it again.

Edited by Modit2
for accuracy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Modit2 said:

Correct, but the clock starts when you purchase the vehicle.

I purchased an extended warranty on my last truck when the vehicle was new.  I had intended for that to be the the last truck I own but it didn't work out that way.  I sold it with a month and 1800 miles left on the bumper to bumper warranty.  The 6 year 100k ESP cost me $2800.

I got a refund of $1400.  I got exactly zero value for the $1400 I didn't get back.  I lost that whole $1400.  It never even bought me a shred of peace of mind.  That is a horrible deal and I will never do it again.

I feel the same way. Why buy something when it is already free? I will probably trade around 4 years due to business advantage, I will probably risk the 1 year or mileage and put that money towards repair if it comes up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Rangers09 said:

Don't often purchase additional warranties, so definitely wasn't interested at time of purchase. Since it has bumper to bumper for 3-yrs, why give them money 3-yrs ahead of the warranty being required.

 

Once I have owned the truck for almost 3-yrs, I'll decide on the pros/cons of extending the warranty. By then I will know how the truck is performing.

 

Great point.

 

For the most part, the truck will be used to pull my 18,000 pound RV and an occasional "I need to run to the store" run.  It is purely a guess, but I am thinking that I'll put 10K miles a year on the truck.  This might be the first vehicle that I have owned that I didn't run out the warranty by exceeding the miles.

 

The exception to the wait-and-see strategy is that if there was a lifetime warranty like I have on my Jeep, I would jump at that chance to buy it.... we generally keep vehicles for a minimum of 10 years.

 

-G

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would get one, especially at dealer cost.  

 

My ESP for my truck paid for itself before it expired last year.  I renewed it last year and it has already paid for itself again.  My rear camera had horizontal lines through it and would randomly go out for a few seconds.  Camera was replaced which didn't fix it, BCM was replaced which didn't fix it, camera was replaced 2 more times (per Ford) with no fix.  Then they started tracing the wiring across the whole truck and finally found a small section of the harness where it was corroded.  That repair alone was almost 11 hours of labor, a $300 plus camera and a $300+ BCM.  Just one example of something that can go wrong.  I've had NUMEROUS front wheel hubs replaced from seizing up (4x4), DEF injector had to be replaced as well as the line that runs to it. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 5/12/2022 at 2:45 PM, blwnsmoke said:

I would get one, especially at dealer cost.  

 

My ESP for my truck paid for itself before it expired last year.  I renewed it last year and it has already paid for itself again.  My rear camera had horizontal lines through it and would randomly go out for a few seconds.  Camera was replaced which didn't fix it, BCM was replaced which didn't fix it, camera was replaced 2 more times (per Ford) with no fix.  Then they started tracing the wiring across the whole truck and finally found a small section of the harness where it was corroded.  That repair alone was almost 11 hours of labor, a $300 plus camera and a $300+ BCM.  Just one example of something that can go wrong.  I've had NUMEROUS front wheel hubs replaced from seizing up (4x4), DEF injector had to be replaced as well as the line that runs to it. 

 

 

 If my wife's car which does not have the extended warranty Has a small issue like a insignificant button not working or the fan not going to high or low Hi or like he said lines in the screen, we will probably not pay the money to get it fixed. (Big issues are a must) but a few lines in the defrost not working or electric mirror won't move...I would probably just deal with it until we sell it and get the next car.

 

 With 22 truck even if it's something minor it will be replaced with the extended warranty so I have 7 more years I know everything on the truck will work.... no questions.

 

 That is nice to know That I won't be nickel and dimed to death for this vehicle

Edited by IUEC135ELEVATOR

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With all the electronics in these darn new trucks, its almost inevitable there could be an issue, the question is….. WHEN ??  I’ve heard a ton about Flood Ford, my son in law, bro in law and best friends all took delivery of their 2022’s in October, got the numbers from Flood Ford, went into our dealer and after the high original quote, Our dealer matched Flood’s price.. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Ford truck guy said:

With all the electronics in these darn new trucks, its almost inevitable there could be an issue, the question is….. WHEN ??  I’ve heard a ton about Flood Ford, my son in law, bro in law and best friends all took delivery of their 2022’s in October, got the numbers from Flood Ford, went into our dealer and after the high original quote, Our dealer matched Flood’s price.. 

 

With electronics they normally fail right away (within the factory warranty) or they last forever.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, akirby said:

 

With electronics they normally fail right away (within the factory warranty) or they last forever.

For the most part, I agree with akirby...

I drove my 2017 F350 Platinum diesel truck for 4.5 years, only had 47k miles on it as a daily driver, never left at the dealer overnight one time but I did have a few weird things that happened over time.  I was driving it one day after I first took delivery and it just shut off without warning.  I tried several times to restart engine but the push button start would not work.  Just about every warning message that was possible was being displayed on instrument panel randomly and over and over.  luckily I was in my small town street and no one was behind me.  I was on a slight hill and I put in neutral, turned steering wheel without power steering and rolled backwards and got off the road.  Then I tried to restart again with no success.  I then tried my remote start on my key fob and it started and I made it home.  I popped the hood and started looking for an obvious problem and I noticed one of the big wiring harness plugs on passenger side looked like it was not completely engaged.  I pushed the plug in and latched it, and I never had an issue like this occur again, I think the harness latch was loose from factory and it finally wiggled loose causing a bad connection at this plug.  The only other issue I had I created a thread about on this forum where the topic was my truck was forgetful.   Forgetful in that all the personal settings for steering column extension and other position settings like mirrors and seats associated with my preferred setting on button 1 on driver's door.  When I went to have the truck appraised for trade in, the sales manager said my moonroof was stuck and wouldn't open and I said no way, I never use it, I may have opened it just to vent but not to fully open.  He said it would cost $4k to have it fixed, and I told him I'd fix it and to consider it working for appraisal.  I did a YouTube search and found the sliding glass tracks deteriorate and pieces of the plastic sliding rails break off and jam up the window slide and prevent it from sliding open.  I ordered a new set of aftermarket slides from Amazon, removed the glass panel and replaced the slides and it worked like new again, took me about 3 hours to fix and was pretty challenging but I'm pretty handy.  The new slides cost about $75.

I didn't buy an extended warranty when I bought the 2017 Platinum truck and I also didn't opt for it on my 2022 King Ranch I just took delivery of a few weeks ago, both trucks are diesel powered.

Edited by 787Toolman
corrected mileage...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Personally, I was going to wait until the factory warranty was close to expiring then I would just answer any one of the hundreds of unsolicited calls we all get before they “close my file” on my extended warranty offer. 
 

Joking aside, of course I was offered a 6/75k extended service contract at the time of purchase for $2500. I declined because in reality it’s more like a 3/39k warranty because it doesn’t go into effect until the factory warranty expires. The next day the finance manager called me to say he “found some coupons” and could offer me the contract for $200! Of course I purchased it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×