2023 Super Duty Orders & Discussion

ice-capades

On 6/6/2023 at 8:21 PM, Monoman said:

Well my scheduled production just got bumped from the week of 7/24 to the week of 8/28.  I've removed spray in bedliner, 5th wheel prep, and most recently max recline seats.   So much for carryover orders having any kind of recognition and priority.  Oh well.

Just got an email about an hour ago. 

"We have made an adjustment to the production date for your 2023 Super Duty F-250 Platinum.

Your vehicle is now scheduled to be built the week of June 19, 2023. We will continue to keep you informed regarding your vehicle's production status."

This is the first time the Track My Order Page matches what the email says.  All other times it did not indicate the scheduled production date.   What a roller coaster.  Keeping my fingers crossed.

2 hours ago, Monoman said:

Just got an email about an hour ago. 

"We have made an adjustment to the production date for your 2023 Super Duty F-250 Platinum.

Your vehicle is now scheduled to be built the week of June 19, 2023. We will continue to keep you informed regarding your vehicle's production status."

This is the first time the Track My Order Page matches what the email says.  All other times it did not indicate the scheduled production date.   What a roller coaster.  Keeping my fingers crossed.

Wow. Good luck. Hopefully that remains true.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, bishoppl said:

Anyone know if there is any truth to the rumors of KR and up already being rolled into 24 orders? Someone in one of the FB groups said there would be no limited production and they had a photos of the Ford production sheet that said the limited production was exhausted. Thank you. 

Stopped in and asked my dealer to clarify what he told me on the phone of my platinum moving to a 24. Sales manager told me yesterday that according to his regional rep if my Platinum doesn’t get scheduled in July then it will be moved to a 24. They are exhausted for June so only

hope is the first two weeks of July. 

not totally confident as I feel like it’s just he said she said crap but it does kind of make sense. Although if mine gets bumped to a 24 I will not be taking a Platinum as he did confirm multi contour seats are now being deleted from superdutys and showed me the communication he had. I will not pay the Platinum premium for no massaging seats. Meanwhile the Denali I ordered last month is already scheduled for production…. As much as I don’t want to change brands it’s looking more and more likely 

Just trying to make sure that I have this right,

Ordered the KR on 10-28, confirmed 10-30

Heard nothing from Ford since, except "we're sorry, but stuff happened" emails

Checked Ford Chat in May, told 'clean build, unscheduled'

Ford Authority reports All Trims are being made now"

Mid June, still no VIN, etc.

Reports (unverified) that unscheduled (mine) KRs, Platts, and Lim will be rolled into 24s

24 order banks for SD's will open mid July

The roll over will take place after 24 order banks open

the 24 KR probably won't arrive until later in 24

Q:  Are the 23s rolled over to 24's price protected as the original order was for a 23, which was price protected?

Q:   Are the roll overs going to be deferred to a Job 2 or 3?

Still would like a KR it'll go with the other KRs in the drive. 

Dealer still says he'll make it worth my time to trade for the KR

41 minutes ago, Smurf830 said:

Just trying to make sure that I have this right,

Ordered the KR on 10-28, confirmed 10-30

Heard nothing from Ford since, except "we're sorry, but stuff happened" emails

Checked Ford Chat in May, told 'clean build, unscheduled'

Ford Authority reports All Trims are being made now"

Mid June, still no VIN, etc.

Reports (unverified) that unscheduled (mine) KRs, Platts, and Lim will be rolled into 24s

24 order banks for SD's will open mid July

The roll over will take place after 24 order banks open

the 24 KR probably won't arrive until later in 24

Q:  Are the 23s rolled over to 24's price protected as the original order was for a 23, which was price protected?

Q:   Are the roll overs going to be deferred to a Job 2 or 3?

Still would like a KR it'll go with the other KRs in the drive. 

Dealer still says he'll make it worth my time to trade for the KR

There is no such thing as a “rollover”.  Your dealer simply orders a new 24 when the order banks open and it’s up to the dealer to manipulate the priorities to ensure yours gets built before any new orders.  There is no price protection per se.  In the past Ford offered private cash rebates to make up at least some of the difference but I’d be surprised if they do that here.

• Like 3

On 6/13/2023 at 10:30 AM, 7.3 Gaszilla said:

Ordered 03/01/23, Lariat Ultimate 7.3l, 4.30 gears, black appearance package, dual alternator, Pro Power Onboard, Max Recline, etc etc. Basically checked nearly all the options. Initially scheduled to wek of 5/24, then changed near the end of April to week of 7/29, a couple weeks ago I got an rail saying bumped to week of 8/24. Checked this morning and to my surprise, iam scheduled to week of 6/22!  We will see if it comes to fruition but this is hopeful as I was starting to consider having to place an order for a '24 and lose my PCO. 

Remaining skeptically hopeful. 

As of last night, tracker shows truck is in production and window sticker is available. Progress! Time to see what used trucks are going for so I can come in well prepared for negotiating on my trade in. 

On 6/14/2023 at 11:15 AM, akirby said:

There is no such thing as a “rollover”.  Your dealer simply orders a new 24 when the order banks open and it’s up to the dealer to manipulate the priorities to ensure yours gets built before any new orders.  There is no price protection per se.  In the past Ford offered private cash rebates to make up at least some of the difference but I’d be surprised if they do that here.

Agreed but don't you think Ford should provide a better system to manage "rollover" orders?   Even though your dealer prioritizes your order in their list it will still get lost in the mix with all other orders from all of the other dealers. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Monoman said:

Agreed but don't you think Ford should provide a better system to manage "rollover" orders?   Even though your dealer prioritizes your order in their list it will still get lost in the mix with all other orders from all of the other dealers. 

The USOB (Unscheduled Order Bank) for each dealership is totally independent from that of any other dealership. The USOB includes all order types (Stock, Demo, Retail, A/X/Z/D Plan, Fleet) and it's the dealership's responsibility to manage their order bank properly regarding priority codes, etc. including management of unscheduled retail orders from the previous Model Year. The scheduling of retail orders for one dealership has no effect on the scheduling of orders for any other dealership.

Other than commodity, plant and supply constraints, the biggest issue regarding scheduling of retail orders is dealership mismanagement of their USOB's and lack of communication with their retail customers. 

Edited by ice-capades
Additional Content
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, Monoman said:

It would be nice from the consumer standpoint but from a Ford standpoint it’s a huge PITA to try and track all of that especially trying to do price protection.

Basically they’re saying you ordered a 23 knowing it might not get built and we couldn’t build it.  It’s up to you if you want to reorder.  You guys want to remove the dealer from the equation and while I agree with the sentiment it’s not happening.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ice-capades said:

The USOB (Unscheduled Order Bank) for each dealership is totally independent from that of any other dealership. The USOB includes all order types (Stock, Demo, Retail, A/X/Z/D Plan, Fleet) and it's the dealership's responsibility to manage their order bank properly regarding priority codes, etc. including management of unscheduled retail orders from the previous Model Year. The scheduling of retail orders for one dealership has no effect on the scheduling of orders for any other dealership.

Other than commodity, plant and supply constraints, the biggest issue regarding scheduling of retail orders is dealership mismanagement of their USOB's and lack of communication with their retail customers. 

I understand but even if all ~3K dealerships manages their USOB correctly at some point it us up to Ford to pick and choose.   Ford doesn't know which orders are "carryovers" so eventually they get all lumped together.    I'm just pointing out where improvements could be made based on my understanding of how the system works.  Yeah it was all created for dealerships and will remain that way until it needs to change.    I really do appreciate you sharing your knowledge and insight. 

3 hours ago, akirby said:

It would be nice from the consumer standpoint but from a Ford standpoint it’s a huge PITA to try and track all of that especially trying to do price protection.

Basically they’re saying you ordered a 23 knowing it might not get built and we couldn’t build it.  It’s up to you if you want to reorder.  You guys want to remove the dealer from the equation and while I agree with the sentiment it’s not happening.

Yep I totally understand. It is complicated and in Ford's eyes they don't sell direct to consumers.  It isn't a problem worth solving until it is.   I was just asking your personal opinion and thank you for replying. 

1 hour ago, Monoman said:

I understand but even if all ~3K dealerships manages their USOB correctly at some point it us up to Ford to pick and choose.   Ford doesn't know which orders are "carryovers" so eventually they get all lumped together.  

Look at it from the dealer’s point of view,  Each dealer deserves a certain allocation of vehicles to sell.  It really doesn’t matter whether those are stock or retail they still provide sales to that dealer.  Now within that allocation Ford tries to build retail orders first.

I would love to be able to order a Ford from Ford at a fixed price and to have that vehicle scheduled immediately and built asap.  But they tried that with Bronco and it becomes problematic if it causes an imbalance amongst dealers which we saw with Grainger low ball sales tactics.  I think we will see that with new BEVs because that doesn’t upset the existing allocations.  What happens longer term is tbd,  

• Like 1

13 hours ago, akirby said:

Look at it from the dealer’s point of view,  Each dealer deserves a certain allocation of vehicles to sell.  It really doesn’t matter whether those are stock or retail they still provide sales to that dealer.  Now within that allocation Ford tries to build retail orders first.

I would love to be able to order a Ford from Ford at a fixed price and to have that vehicle scheduled immediately and built asap.  But they tried that with Bronco and it becomes problematic if it causes an imbalance amongst dealers which we saw with Grainger low ball sales tactics.  I think we will see that with new BEVs because that doesn’t upset the existing allocations.  What happens longer term is tbd,  

I totally understand the model and perspective now.  It is something I knew but didn't fully understand until I joined and read a lot here on BOF.  Thanks to people like you and ice-capades.   

FWIW - I don't think dealers like Granger employed low ball tactics. It was not uncommon to see below invoice pricing prior to the pandemic.   Granger and some others kept that pricing and expanded their advertising to online forums and it worked for them.  Dealers in my area chose to sell at MSRP (or much higher) and it seems to have worked for them too.   My understanding is that dealerships in general are making more money than before the pandemic. 

I find the whole thing interesting and I wonder how it will play out.  There are lessons to be learned from this but I'm not sure how much will really change. 

I’ll be reaching out to my dealer today.  The answers I get to my questions will determine if I walk next door and order a 2024 GMC 2500 HD AT4. I’ve never owned a GM product but the fact that they seem to be able produce vehicles while Ford struggles to get them through the production line tells me they have their act together better at this point in time.  It makes me think that might relate to turning out a better product as well. Admittedly, I’m nervous about making the switch but I’m frustrated with what’s happening with Ford and lose more confidence in the brand every day…..

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Monoman said:

FWIW - I don't think dealers like Granger employed low ball tactics. It was not uncommon to see below invoice pricing prior to the pandemic.   Granger and some others kept that pricing and expanded their advertising to online forums and it worked for them.  Dealers in my area chose to sell at MSRP (or much higher) and it seems to have worked for them too.   My understanding is that dealerships in general are making more money than before the pandemic. 

Regularly selling vehicles below invoice is low balling and is a terrible business practice.  It doesn’t even cover overhead costs.  It’s illegal in some circumstances.  
They’re obviously making it up on used cars and service but it’s not fair to other dealers in the area trying to make a modest profit.  People love them because it gives the finger to the dealers who are gouging but that’s not the point.  They could sell $500 or $1000 over invoice and still be thousands less than the competition.  It’s especially unfair when they were given more allocation than others based on orders.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, akirby said:

Regularly selling vehicles below invoice is low balling and is a terrible business practice.  It doesn’t even cover overhead costs.  It’s illegal in some circumstances.  
They’re obviously making it up on used cars and service but it’s not fair to other dealers in the area trying to make a modest profit.  People love them because it gives the finger to the dealers who are gouging but that’s not the point.  They could sell $500 or $1000 over invoice and still be thousands less than the competition.  It’s especially unfair when they were given more allocation than others based on orders.

Gotcha. I think Granger is $1,500 over invoice now and I'm not sure about the other dealers.   Obviously some dealerships are more expensive to operate than others just factoring regional costs alone.  I try to buy local and from small businesses but there are limits to how much extra I'm willing to spend.

3 hours ago, CajunCowboy said:

I’ll be reaching out to my dealer today.  The answers I get to my questions will determine if I walk next door and order a 2024 GMC 2500 HD AT4. I’ve never owned a GM product but the fact that they seem to be able produce vehicles while Ford struggles to get them through the production line tells me they have their act together better at this point in time.  It makes me think that might relate to turning out a better product as well. Admittedly, I’m nervous about making the switch but I’m frustrated with what’s happening with Ford and lose more confidence in the brand every day…..

In general you can't go wrong with Ford, GM, or RAM.  All three have been selling trucks for a long time and have a loyal customer base.  At the end of the day it is your money so you spend it on what works for you. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Monoman said:

Gotcha. I think Granger is $1,500 over invoice now and I'm not sure about the other dealers.   Obviously some dealerships are more expensive to operate than others just factoring regional costs alone.  I try to buy local and from small businesses but there are limits to how much extra I'm willing to spend.

Granger was quoting 3% below invoice on 2024 Ranger orders.  Thats dealer cost after you count holdback.  Ridiculous.

2 hours ago, akirby said:

Granger was quoting 3% below invoice on 2024 Ranger orders.  Thats dealer cost after you count holdback.  Ridiculous.

I only know about Super Dutys.  That reminds of the funny old quote -  "We lose money on every sale, but make it up on volume”

6 hours ago, akirby said:

But you're OK with Dealers making Plan sales (A/Z & X), right? Those are near or below invoice.

HRG

24 minutes ago, HotRunrGuy said:

But you're OK with Dealers making Plan sales (A/Z & X), right? Those are near or below invoice.

HRG

Overall those are a small percentage of sales and Ford gives each dealer a spiff check for each sale to make up the difference.

I've been following this forum for the last 7 months as I placed an order in early December and the dealer advised me my truck is on a rail car.  F250, 6.7 non HO, Crew, BAP, Ultimate, Propower and just about everything else.  Built end of May.  Question for the group.  I was planning on buying WeatherTech floor mats and Weathertech does not have the rears available yet, only the front.  I called them and they said about 2-3 months out and the 2022s would not fit 2023.  Any suggestions for the rear mats or what is everyone doing for floor mats?  I opt'd out of the factory rubber mats as I've enjoyed my Weathertechs on other vehicles.

Reading through most of this topic, I was a little apprehensive.  I needed a new SuperDuty to replace my ailing and failing 2017 2500HD, and the feedback I was getting from the Ford dealers wasn't sounding good; for that matter, I wasn't liking what I was seeing at the Chevy dealer, either.  I had almost committed to buying a Dodge... when my Ford dealer gave me a call.  They had dealer traded for a F250 SuperDoody STX CC/LB with a gas engine... and it was mine if I wanted it.  It wasn't perfect, but it was the best thing I was likely to see anytime soon...

2023 F250 STX, 7.3L gasser, 4WD, with the trailering package.  I didn't want 4WD, and I initially didn't care for the blacked out wheels, but beggars can't be choosers.  So far, it's a very nice truck, and I love the 7.3L motor, even compared to the 3-valve V-10 in my '09.  It's not as smooth as the V-10, but it certainly pulls!

I consider myself pretty darned lucky to pick this truck up, considering the current market.

IMG_6549.JPG

IMG_6559.JPG

Edited by RustyRooter
  • Like 4

23 hours ago, Troutdog said:

I've been following this forum for the last 7 months as I placed an order in early December and the dealer advised me my truck is on a rail car.  F250, 6.7 non HO, Crew, BAP, Ultimate, Propower and just about everything else.  Built end of May.  Question for the group.  I was planning on buying WeatherTech floor mats and Weathertech does not have the rears available yet, only the front.  I called them and they said about 2-3 months out and the 2022s would not fit 2023.  Any suggestions for the rear mats or what is everyone doing for floor mats?  I opt'd out of the factory rubber mats as I've enjoyed my Weathertechs on other vehicles.

I went with the husky liners I order mine for a 22 back when Black Friday was going on… the rear fit had to trim I 1/4” off the passenger side mat to fit and drivers side fit perfectly but other than the they work… hope this help

• Like 1

On 6/6/2023 at 11:36 AM, akirby said:

Dealer screwed up and is trying to CYA

I went into dealer and showed them 9 window stickers built just before mine, same day, and week after that all had FX4/3.55 SRW diesel. They blamed restrictions. I asked how can another truck be build same day as mine and have the 3.55, they said maybe 3.55 wasn't available the exact moment mine was built, but earlier or later in the day they had the 3.55 for those other trucks built at that moment... WTF!!!!      I asked if they can talk to Zone manager, or if I can call a 800 number, they said it's too late nothing can change it. They offered Xplan again for 2024...

So I call Ford Customer service, they give me a claim #, then they called my dealer to make them file a misbuild... I haven't talked to the dealer since Ford had them file a misbuild... Customer service was confused why my dealer didn't file a misbuild the moment we found out the window sticker didn't match the DORA

@ice-capades @akirby

my question is.....

If this misbuild claim goes through, assuming my dealer somehow screwed up the order, would the claim force my dealer to install the 3.55 when my truck arrives (in about 3 weeks), or can the dealer refuse to do so for me??   And would Ford reimburse my dealer for installing the 3.55 or does my dealer have to pay 100%

One more question, can Ford then give me a new door jam sticker and window sticker to show the 3J code (3.55 axel) instead of it showing 3H (3.31 axel), or would I be stuck with the wrong codes