What Ford concepts would you like to see revisited?

4 hours ago, atomcat68 said:

Isn't it also telling that when we are asked to remember our dream concepts, no one posted an SUV or CUV yet.

Image for article titled The 2004 Bronco Concept Was The One Ford Didn't Make

The current Bronco takes a lot of the concepts of that concept

4 hours ago, atomcat68 said:

That would be great as a four door. Maybe give it the Falcon name too.

Mine is not a Ford, but a Lincoln. I wish they did something with this:

conn concept.jpeg

Was pretty much a styling preview of the Town Car or Continental in the early 2000s

2010 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited 4dr Sedan - Build a Car - 2010  Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited 4dr Sedan - GrooveCar

Interceptor concept was nothing more then a 2010 Taurus Preview

2007 Ford Interceptor concept

FORDTaurusSHO-4202_4.jpg

21 hours ago, atomcat68 said:

Isn't it also telling that when we are asked to remember our dream concepts, no one posted an SUV or CUV yet.

Relative to the decades of concept cars, there hasn't been that many SUV concepts, and those that there has been are largely of the "preview" variety.  Plus, you're asking a bunch of enthusiasts what cool concepts they'd want - of course they're going to pick the really cool looking cars.

17 hours ago, silvrsvt said:

Image for article titled The 2004 Bronco Concept Was The One Ford Didn't Make

The current Bronco takes a lot of the concepts of that concept

Was pretty much a styling preview of the Town Car or Continental in the early 2000s

2010 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited 4dr Sedan - Build a Car - 2010  Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited 4dr Sedan - GrooveCar

Interceptor concept was nothing more then a 2010 Taurus Preview

2007 Ford Interceptor concept

FORDTaurusSHO-4202_4.jpg

Eh, I don't think Interceptor was intended for that, I think it became a sort of after the fact thing.

Remember, Mulally wanted to put Interceptor and MKR into production, only to be told they were little more than styling efforts, with no real platform available to underpin them.

24 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

Eh, I don't think Interceptor was intended for that, I think it became a sort of after the fact thing.

Remember, Mulally wanted to put Interceptor and MKR into production, only to be told they were little more than styling efforts, with no real platform available to underpin them.

The Interceptor concept was released in 2007 and the restyled 2010 Taurus came out summer of 2009-the styling was locked in by the time the Interceptor came out. Keep in mind the Taurus was just renamed from the 500 in 2008 and the 2010 was a big change from the older 500/Taurus incorporating a a roof chop of an inch or two and strengthening the firewall for the Ecoboost 3.5L that was going into it. 

The 2010 Taurus had to be more or less locked in styling wise the time the Interceptor concept was released, so they could start tooling up for production in Spring 2009. 

So it more or less stands that the interceptor is just a Taurus turned up to 11/12 just like the Mustang Mach 3 Concept was just a styling preview of the 1994 Mustang. 

3 hours ago, silvrsvt said:

The Interceptor concept was released in 2007 and the restyled 2010 Taurus came out summer of 2009-the styling was locked in by the time the Interceptor came out.

It more or less stands that the interceptor is just a Taurus turned up to 11/12 just like the Mustang Mach 3 Concept was just a styling preview of the 1994 Mustang. 

This has always been a very questionable strategy to me. This idea of making a very compelling concept car when you already know what the lackluster production version is going to be. It's the same strategy that Ram used for their EV,  except that was even worse. 

We all saw the Ram revolution EV concept, and most of us thought they nailed it in terms of tech and design. Then they revealed the drastically watered down version a month or so later. Which would have been an alright truck, if they hadn't decided to showcase the incredible concept right before it.

It's just not a smart strategy imo. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, DeluxeStang said:

This has always been a very questionable strategy to me. This idea of making a very compelling concept car when you already know what the lackluster production version is going to be. It's the same strategy that Ram used for their EV,  except that was even worse. 

The thing is that the vast majority of concept cars (which have become pretty rare these days) often where completely impractical for production...its been like this since the 1950s. That is the reason why manufactures moved away from them in the past 20 years or so, because all they did was take resources away from production vehicles just to play one upmanship at auto shows. The closest thing you'll see is a "West Coast customs" Navigator with the whole side doors that raise up as a production preview vehicle.

The Interceptor was cool and all, but once you start looking at the styling details from it (the tail lights, roof line, and lesser extent the front end) you can see where the 2010 Taurus styling got a lot of its inspiration from or was the inspiration for the Interceptor. Heck even the name came from the Police Interceptor that was based on the Taurus (well CV at the time) Just looking back at the past 40 years of Ford concepts and you can see that many of these concepts where just future product styling turned to 11 or 12....like the Evos-it was a Mustang/Fusion combo with its styling. 

1 hour ago, rperez817 said:

Some Ford concept vehicles exhibited at past SEMA shows should be fairly easy to bring into production, like this Shelby Mustang Mach-E.

shelby_mache_mainimage.jpg

Something like this definitely has potential, but I believe this is essentially just an appearance package with a few small tweaks. If Ford wanted to come out with a mach-e that punched well above the performance capabilities of the gt, I'd want to see some sort of toned down take on the mach-e 1400. Maybe something with around 700-800 hp and decent areo with some chassis improvements. 

IMG_20231018_095557.jpg

• Like 1

I'd like to see the Ford Probe re-imagined as a Model 3 fighter.  It's got the right shape, just make it a sporty 4-door sedan.  (NOT intended to replace the Mustang!  LOL...)

I kinda like the first-gen design for this the best but either would work.  Even the "no-grille" front-end is perfect for EV's.  I'd even bring back the pop-up headlights.  :)

Ford Probe1.jpg

Ford Probe2.JPG

• Like 1

On 10/23/2023 at 10:28 AM, iamweasel said:

I'd like to see the Ford Probe re-imagined as a Model 3 fighter.  It's got the right shape, just make it a sporty 4-door sedan.  (NOT intended to replace the Mustang!  LOL...)

I kinda like the first-gen design for this the best but either would work.  Even the "no-grille" front-end is perfect for EV's.  I'd even bring back the pop-up headlights.  :)

Ford Probe1.jpg

Ford Probe2.JPG

Hot take, the mid 90s probe aged better than the mid 90s mustang in terms of it's design.

• Thanks 1

On 10/17/2023 at 3:19 PM, rmc523 said:

Relative to the decades of concept cars, there hasn't been that many SUV concepts, and those that there has been are largely of the "preview" variety.  Plus, you're asking a bunch of enthusiasts what cool concepts they'd want - of course they're going to pick the really cool looking cars.

That's my recollection as well.  I remember a rumor that the Interceptor was based on the Panther platform.  Not sure how true that was, but would have been a cool next gen Crown Victoria.  Speaking of Panthers, no way the Continental was a preview of the Town Car and mid-size Continental, considering the refreshed Town Car was about to go on sale and the Continental was ending production.  

10 hours ago, silvrsvt said:

SN95 vs New Edge?

The Probe turned into this:

undefined

Brings back memories. I had a '99 like this. surprisingly, it was a brute on snowy roads. Second childhood car, but like the Contour and Tracer, had the fuel vent problems. Traded down (up?) for a Y2k Focus wagon rental return.

11 hours ago, DeluxeStang said:

1994-ford-mustang-svt-cobra-review-car-and-driver-photo-561783-s-original.jpg

I liked the the Probe and the Mustang, but IMO the New Edge styling on the SN95 was really terrible...then again most New Edge styled products looked terrible from that era outside of the Cougar and Focus. 

Plus I had a 1998 Mustang GT...I liked that it started incorporating the looks of the '60s Mustang that where long gone and started make a comeback in the early to mid 1990s. 

On 10/18/2023 at 10:55 PM, rperez817 said:

Some Ford concept vehicles exhibited at past SEMA shows should be fairly easy to bring into production, like this Shelby Mustang Mach-E.

shelby_mache_mainimage.jpg

The Shelby Mach E GT (minus the unique front bumper and larger wheel arch flares) is heading to Europe.
6940sstbVehilcePage1.jpg

Edited by AM222
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, AM222 said:

Hmmm... Ford should make a modern version of this and turn it into some kind of future EV Mustang roadster. 

Toyota may already be thinking along those lines.  Price based on prototype may be a bit high for MR2 and Miata market, but if they bring it back to MR2 roots with affordable variant, it could do well as a sporty city-type car.

https://www.motortrend.com/news/2027-toyota-ev-sports-car-mr2-celica-future-cars/