Electric Capri Crossover Spied

BEV Capri and Explorer are nice enough vehicles because they are basically what Ford  should have done

with the original E Max project,  a BEV Focus Active (Capri) and BEV Escape (Explorer).

Ford basically wasted seven years getting to the same BEVs it originally needed for Europe

and it’s already planning how to limit production and make these low volume cash cows.

Thats such a shame because I think both of these will be a big improvement over ID4 & ID5.

The real problem here is a Ford management that keeps changing its mind every few years,

I seriously doubt that Ford has a clue what its Euro and global buyers really want, tone deaf?

Edited by jpd80

On 11/24/2023 at 10:12 PM, jpd80 said:

BEV Capri and Explorer are nice enough vehicles because they are basically what Ford  should have done

with the original E Max project,  a BEV Focus Active (Capri) and BEV Escape (Explorer).

Ford basically wasted seven years getting to the same BEVs it originally needed for Europe

and it’s already planning how to limit production and make these low volume cash cows.

Thats such a shame because I think both of these will be a big improvement over ID4 & ID5.

The real problem here is a Ford management that keeps changing its mind every few years,

I seriously doubt that Ford has a clue what its Euro and global buyers really want, tone deaf?

I am European. I live in Spain. And I don’t want a 45 to 60000€ electric vehicle like the EV Explorer or Capri. There are not good enough. And the VW sibling sales flop preview the Ford EVs failure . The Mach E is very good vehicle, is a different kind of car. It has a very attractive design and a aspirational halo ( a Mustang is always a desired objet ). 
Europe, and Spain , are not ready for expensive EVs from mainstream brands. And not everybody want thems. The infrastructure is not ready for EVs. 
Ford will fail miserably in Europe with their EV strategy

• Like 1

As usual up front cost is the main issue with EV adoption, with access to fast charging a close 2nd. I had a hard time swallowing 35K for my Escape hybrid (not plug in becuase that did not come in AWD). Prices of $50K to $65K are luxury territory and that is what EVs will remain until prices come down close to an ICE or hybrid  RAV4 , Escape, CRV etc. We are least 10 years away or more from EVs overtaking ICE sales. I think plug in hybrids are the best value for the money right now. The average wage earner can not go much above $35K or $40K for a new vehicle an afford the monthly payments.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Tico said:

As usual up front cost is the main issue with EV adoption, with access to fast charging a close 2nd. I had a hard time swallowing 35K for my Escape hybrid (not plug in becuase that did not come in AWD). Prices of $50K to $65K are luxury territory and that is what EVs will remain until prices come down close to an ICE or hybrid  RAV4 , Escape, CRV etc. We are least 10 years away or more from EVs overtaking ICE sales. I think plug in hybrids are the best value for the money right now. The average wage earner can not go much above $35K or $40K for a new vehicle an afford the monthly payments.

https://www.kbb.com/car-news/average-new-car-price-sees-smallest-increase-in-a-decade/

Every other car with a list price under $20,000 sold for over $20,000 on average. It’s not a large group. Automakers increasingly focus on building more expensive cars, trimming affordable models from their lineups. In December 2017, automakers produced 36 models priced at $25,000 or less. Five years later, they built just 10

In contrast, there were 32 vehicles in the Kelley Blue Book database transacting on average over $100,000 in July, which excludes super exotics from Ferrari, Lamborghini, Rolls-Royce, and the like. In comparison, five years ago, in the summer of 2018, there were only 12 vehicles in the over $100,000 category.

The market has "no problem" supporting higher costs, but the issue is inflation and interest rates are making people think twice before making a commitment. The difference is about $100-150 per payment vs getting 0% vs 5% rate today. 

While Mach E and Tesla Y appear to compete with each other, the prices paid in Europe for both are something like 20-25% higher than the comparable versions in North America. I find it intriguing how  none of the motoring journalists have ever pointed this out and just seem to go along with it….

12 hours ago, .I. said:

I am European. I live in Spain. And I don’t want a 45 to 60000€ electric vehicle like the EV Explorer or Capri. There are not good enough. And the VW sibling sales flop preview the Ford EVs failure . The Mach E is very good vehicle, is a different kind of car. It has a very attractive design and a aspirational halo ( a Mustang is always a desired objet ). 
Europe, and Spain , are not ready for expensive EVs from mainstream brands. And not everybody want thems. The infrastructure is not ready for EVs. 
Ford will fail miserably in Europe with their EV strategy

The refreshed Puma will gain an EV version, it should sit somewhere below the Explorer EV and Capri EV. I'm guessing this will start under 40000€ like other B-segment EV crossovers (they usually cost over 10000€ more than the equivalent ICE version).
ford-puma-ev-first-spy-photo.jpg

Edited by AM222

8 hours ago, AM222 said:

The refreshed Puma will gain an EV version, it should sit somewhere below the Explorer EV and Capri EV. I'm guessing this will start under 40000€ like other B-segment EV crossovers (they usually cost over 10000€ more than the equivalent ICE version).
ford-puma-ev-first-spy-photo.jpg

I wish Ford would sell this in North America. It would be a good competitor to the Chevy Trailblazer and Trax, but I'm guessing the big issue is Ford doesn't have a low cost assembly plant they can import it from like the Trailblazer and Trax, which come from South Korea I think. 

9 hours ago, silvrsvt said:

I wish Ford would sell this in North America. It would be a good competitor to the Chevy Trailblazer and Trax, but I'm guessing the big issue is Ford doesn't have a low cost assembly plant they can import it from like the Trailblazer and Trax, which come from South Korea I think. 

Absolutely agree - it'll sell more on style - far better than EcoSport ever was.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, silvrsvt said:

It’s amazing how Ford eventually lucks out on a great design but then jealously keeps it for Europe.

In the rest of the world markets, the Puma is pretty much unobtainable……

Would love to see the EV version, I think that will be sensational for Ford.