Ford to Rethink Where It Builds Its Vehicles.

On 2/20/2024 at 1:25 PM, silvrsvt said:

Because the UAW only operates in the USA and going to another state would require having an agreement with the UAW.

Imports don't have that problem till their workers want to join the UAW, then it will be an issue for them. I'd guess they'd pull production and move to another country within 24-48 months of that happening. 

For the transplant manufacturers, they would be foolish to accept an overall UAW contract like the Big 3. Those companies have seen the troubles of domestic manufacturers. Some of their managers used to work the Big 3.

9 hours ago, paintguy said:

For the transplant manufacturers, they would be foolish to accept an overall UAW contract like the Big 3. Those companies have seen the troubles of domestic manufacturers. Some of their managers used to work the Big 3.

Your not wrong, but it all depends on how much they are depending on that product coming from that plant. 

I'm guessing management is brushing up contingency plans (if they are smart) at the moment, just incase that happens. 

22 hours ago, Bob Rosadini said:

Interesting and sad.  In this day and age you would think that mindset was stamped out long go.

You use the term "workforce".  While that attitude you speak of starts with the plant manager, would you say it was across the board?-mgtmt and the union represented trades you probably interacted with as well when it came to installs?

I have seen blockheaded plant management with a good workforce, zero cooperation between management and the union workers, good management with a so so workforce, and a general do not care attitude on both sides. The worst situations were when I was called in due to a major system or press being down. Panic on the management side and apathy on the workforce side made my life difficult, and a union leader telling me I could not do this or that just made the downtime longer.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, lfeg said:

a union leader telling me I could not do this or that just made the downtime longer.

Thats the biggest frustration with these scenarios.  I remember a Ford transmission engineer doing some testing and needing to connect or disconnect something and the union employee telling him he had to wait for someone to come do it which would take an hour or two.  He said screw that and did it himself in 90 seconds.  I’m sure he got a grievance but stupid rules like that just kill productivity.

• Like 3
  • Angry 1

Related to examples of management and union relations when I was the Business Agent for the IATSE Motion Picture Local #273 covering New Haven County in CT.

For several years, I ran the two 1,000 seat theatres at the premiere Showcase Cinema location that often ran premiere screenings including the New England premiere of the original “Arthur” with Dudley Moore. The premiere was scheduled for a Saturday night with Showcase Cinemas executives, including then Chairman/CEO Sumner Redstone, and numerous Warner Brother executives coming in from Hollywood.

As such, the theatre manager wanted me to run a test of the film Saturday morning, before the theatre started running its regular schedule and the theatre wouldn’t be available. We ran the screening test, and it looked great. Shortly afterwards, we got a call from Warner Brothers telling us that a replacement reel (20 Minutes) was being sent by courier from New York to replace the first 20 minutes. It was common for studios to run different versions in different regions to test audience reaction before locking in the version for wide release.

I was in the projection booth, started the screening and found that the print was out of focus because the replacement footage had been rushed through the lab and hadn’t been cured making a sharp focus impossible. Sure enough, a Warner Brothers executive came into the projection booth, while I was with the Showcase Cinemas Vice President of Operations, who I knew well and knew my work, looking for a scapegoat related to the focus problem.

I told the Warner Brothers executive what caused the problem (wet print) and that the studio was responsible. Sure enough, after the first 20 minutes had been screened, the focus was perfect for the rest of the film. The Warner Brothers executive was still not satisfied and still looking for a scapegoat.

At that point, I informed the Warner Brothers executive that CT projectionists were licensed through the CT Department of Safety and had more authority than theatre management. I then informed him that only licensed personnel were allowed access to the projection booth and instructed him to leave.

The Showcase Cinemas VP backed me up 100%.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2