FORD DEALER INSTALLED KEYLESS KEYPADS SAME AS FACTORY PART

59 minutes ago, tbone said:

Preferably not losing options in the process.

That also happens a lot.  They also add $4K rebates without removing anything.  Point is prices fluctuate and are set by the market and aren’t directly tied to equipment added or removed.

The question will be in next-gen models if they include it at all - I think right now, they still are producing the part, so they can offer it through the dealer.  I'd imagine with next-gen models, they may not design it from the get-go, therefore, it'll revert to the stick on version.

56 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

The question will be in next-gen models if they include it at all - I think right now, they still are producing the part, so they can offer it through the dealer.  I'd imagine with next-gen models, they may not design it from the get-go, therefore, it'll revert to the stick on version.

I think they’ll just offer it on higher trims since they can easily recoup costs there.  I don’t think it adds much cost to make it available on all versions.

Don't most of the cars have a fob that just unlocks the car when you get close to it now?

I remember playing with these on my parents cars/trucks (late 90s early 00s maybe?) when I was younger, was cool to push buttons and make the car do stuff then, but what's the point these days if it just unlocks when you get close to it? Are there still models that use a key?

Also, does Ford offer phone as a key on any products?

Sorry if dumb questions, newest Ford product we own currently is a 17 MKC and haven't really paid attention to the key/fob transition on particular models, just assuming everything has it by now.

Lincolns have phone as a key.  We’ve discussed this before.  

If you don’t have your fob or your phone dies you can use the door pad to open the door, put in your password and start the vehicle.

It’s the only way you can lock the door with the keys/fob inside.  Many people do this when going swimming or running or anywhere you don’t want to carry a key/fob.

You can let someone get something out of or put something into the vehicle without you there.

If you’ve never used it you won’t miss it but once you use it you’ll definitely miss it.

• Like 5

16 minutes ago, akirby said:

Lincolns have phone as a key.  We’ve discussed this before.  

If you don’t have your fob or your phone dies you can use the door pad to open the door, put in your password and start the vehicle.

It’s the only way you can lock the door with the keys/fob inside.  Many people do this when going swimming or running or anywhere you don’t want to carry a key/fob.

You can let someone get something out of or put something into the vehicle without you there.

If you’ve never used it you won’t miss it but once you use it you’ll definitely miss it.

My memory isn't the greatest, apologies if we already had this discussion.

Locking with the FOB inside is something that has been a problem recently in the MKC. I carry my "work bag" with me everywhere we go and have had to dig my extra fob out of there several times in the last few weeks when we went places and needed to lock the car. Honestly don't even know if her car has the keypad (I would think so) because I never get in that side, but that's cool to know if it does.

21 minutes ago, Captainp4 said:

My memory isn't the greatest, apologies if we already had this discussion.

Locking with the FOB inside is something that has been a problem recently in the MKC. I carry my "work bag" with me everywhere we go and have had to dig my extra fob out of there several times in the last few weeks when we went places and needed to lock the car. Honestly don't even know if her car has the keypad (I would think so) because I never get in that side, but that's cool to know if it does.

Yep you can hold the 7/8 and 9/0  buttons and lock it with your bag inside, the use the code to unlock it.  I’m sure the MKC has it.

Edited by akirby
  • Like 1

I know I'm the outlier here, but I don't miss my keypad at all...the biggest issue is it's just another code to remember, I have so many stupid codes/passwords etc I need to know for my job that its not worth the brainpower to keep it memorized. The only vaguely useful thing is pushing the last two keys on my wife's Escape to lock it. 

The doors open when pull the handle that's all I care about.

Not sure if other Ford products do this, but the Bronco has an annoying double honk when you leave your keys or close your doors with the keys in it. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, silvrsvt said:

I know I'm the outlier here, but I don't miss my keypad at all...the biggest issue is it's just another code to remember, I have so many stupid codes/passwords etc I need to know for my job that its not worth the brainpower to keep it memorized. The only vaguely useful thing is pushing the last two keys on my wife's Escape to lock it. 

You can program the code to be something you will easily remember so I program all my keypads and I have never forgot the code.

31 minutes ago, Schpark said:

You can program the code to be something you will easily remember so I program all my keypads and I have never forgot the code.

Ditto.  I use my work service anniversary but you can use any code you want and you can have multiple codes so you can have your own personal code on all vehicles.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, akirby said:

Yep you can hold the 7/8 and 9/0  buttons and lock it with your bag inside, the use the code to unlock it.  I’m sure the MKC has it.

Cool, I'll have to try it out. She wasn't sure if her car has it either when I asked her after I got home last night, so I guess she doesn't use it either haha

On 2/26/2024 at 9:08 PM, silvrsvt said:

I know I'm the outlier here, but I don't miss my keypad at all

I wouldn't go quite that far; I like having it, but I don't think I've ever used the keypad on the Flex. All I have to do is pull the handle to unlock or touch the pad on the handle to lock, so I don't really have a use for the keypad. My truck doesn't even have one; I could buy the door handle surround with the keypad and pair it like any other remote, but the juice isn't worth the squeeze to me.