New Ford Inventory Just Under 100 Days' Supply in March

https://fordauthority.com/2024/04/new-ford-inventory-just-under-100-days-supply-in-march/

FordAuthority.com_2024-04-22_Ford Inventory_Photo 01.jpg

Following a long period of time when new Ford inventory was near record-low levels, easing supply chain shortages have resulted in quite the opposite – a bit of a glut. Things have improved as of late, however, with new Ford inventory levels closing out February at a 91 days’ supply versus 104 in January, though the automaker continues to roll out new incentives in an effort to keep driving inventory levels down and make room for new 2024 models. Regardless, new Ford inventory levels actually increased in March versus February, according to new data from Cox Automotive.

FordAuthority.com_2024-04-22_Ford Inventory_Photo 02_Chart.jpg

Last month, new Ford inventory levels came in at a 97 days’ supply, increasing a bit compared to February and remaining far above the industry average of 72 days’. This ranks Ford near the high end of the spectrum, behind only Jaguar, Dodge, Ram, Alfa Romeo, and Fiat – which all had inventory levels that were at least double the national average – as well as Lincoln, Jeep, Chrysler, Volvo, Polestar, Mazda, Infiniti, Genesis, and Nissan.

The U.S. new vehicle average of 72 days’ supply is seven days better than February, however, as the total U.S. supply of available unsold new vehicles opened April at 2.77 million units – 870,000 units or 46 percent more than one year ago, and slightly higher than March’s 2.74 million, which helps put Ford’s increase into perspective.

FordAuthority.com_2024-04-22_Ford Inventory_Photo 03_Bronco.jpg

In terms of list pricing, the market averaged $47,240 at the end of March, which is a mere one percent or $177 higher than March 2023. Regardless, it’s clear that new vehicle pricing remains a big issue with consumers, as vehicles with price tags of less than $40,000 have the lowest inventory levels, while those costing more are sitting well above the industry average.

Edited by ice-capades
Additional Content

37 minutes ago, Andrew L said:

Seeing Lincoln at the top of this list is painful 

They actually aren't

Automakers with at least twice the industry standard (144 days)

Dodge

Fiat
Ram

Alfa Romeo

Jaguar

Hmmm....I see a pattern here. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

They actually aren't

Automakers with at least twice the industry standard (144 days)

Dodge

Fiat
Ram

Alfa Romeo

Jaguar

Hmmm....I see a pattern here. 

My mistake I missed that, still seeing Lincoln so high is upsetting.

I know the Dodge Hornet has a stupidly long supply I think last article I saw was over 400 days supply of it.  Hornet is far too expensive for what it is.

10 minutes ago, Andrew L said:

I know the Dodge Hornet has a stupidly long supply I think last article I saw was over 400 days supply of it.  Hornet is far too expensive for what it is.

An Alfa with a Dodge badge?

• Haha 1

45 minutes ago, Andrew L said:

It has a decent starting price for its size, but damn I was looking at the local dealerships and most of them are $45-50K, which is insane. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

It has a decent starting price for its size, but damn I was looking at the local dealerships and most of them are $45-50K, which is insane. 

I didn't realize they bumped up that high.

6 hours ago, Andrew L said:

The fact that the Hornet is very obviously a lightly restyled Alfa Romeo is probably hurting its cause too. It just doesn't have the muscular Dodge look that it should have. 

11 hours ago, ice-capades said:

https://fordauthority.com/2024/04/new-ford-inventory-just-under-100-days-supply-in-march/

FordAuthority.com_2024-04-22_Ford Inventory_Photo 01.jpg

Following a long period of time when new Ford inventory was near record-low levels, easing supply chain shortages have resulted in quite the opposite – a bit of a glut. Things have improved as of late, however, with new Ford inventory levels closing out February at a 91 days’ supply versus 104 in January, though the automaker continues to roll out new incentives in an effort to keep driving inventory levels down and make room for new 2024 models. Regardless, new Ford inventory levels actually increased in March versus February, according to new data from Cox Automotive.

FordAuthority.com_2024-04-22_Ford Inventory_Photo 02_Chart.jpg

Last month, new Ford inventory levels came in at a 97 days’ supply, increasing a bit compared to February and remaining far above the industry average of 72 days’. This ranks Ford near the high end of the spectrum, behind only Jaguar, Dodge, Ram, Alfa Romeo, and Fiat – which all had inventory levels that were at least double the national average – as well as Lincoln, Jeep, Chrysler, Volvo, Polestar, Mazda, Infiniti, Genesis, and Nissan.

The U.S. new vehicle average of 72 days’ supply is seven days better than February, however, as the total U.S. supply of available unsold new vehicles opened April at 2.77 million units – 870,000 units or 46 percent more than one year ago, and slightly higher than March’s 2.74 million, which helps put Ford’s increase into perspective.

FordAuthority.com_2024-04-22_Ford Inventory_Photo 03_Bronco.jpg

In terms of list pricing, the market averaged $47,240 at the end of March, which is a mere one percent or $177 higher than March 2023. Regardless, it’s clear that new vehicle pricing remains a big issue with consumers, as vehicles with price tags of less than $40,000 have the lowest inventory levels, while those costing more are sitting well above the industry average.

Myself and others on this board have predicted the pricing on new trucks is not sustainable. Not only trucks-either. It turns out those predictions may have had some validity.

9 hours ago, CKNSLS said:

Myself and others on this board have predicted the pricing on new trucks is not sustainable. Not only trucks-either. It turns out those predictions may have had some validity.

Nobody thought it was sustainable once inventory levels returned to normal.  Just a question of how long it would take and how much of the Inflation was permanent.  But you can’t blame them for milking that cow while it lasted.

13 hours ago, silvrsvt said:

image.thumb.png.b01658c6264a6f33bc40f84d7e812d45.png

I think when I looked at the dealers in my area they had a few north of 50k too.  Gross.  If I am spending 50k on a SUV I can tell you 100% it won't be a Dodge Hornet.

• Like 2

First of May inventory numbers for Ford will tell us the actual days supply for each vehicle type.

If combined F Series inventory remains below 200,000 I think that will help supply rather than 

hinder. We all know how much Ford has jacked up MSRPs over the past few years or even

encouraged XLT buyers to buy  higher trim levels so this is where incentives and discounting

gets interesting…..remember those XLT that used to have lux PACs? All I’m saying is that Ford

may take a different route….