Jump to content

Ford Europe boss resigned and turn back to… VW!


Recommended Posts

8 hours ago, akirby said:

I think they are using some things they found with the skunkworks team that they’re applying to T3 which is why they delayed it a bit.  It won’t be cheap but neither is the current F150. I would love to see a Supercab T3 with a 6’ bed similar in overall size to Ranger.  200 mile range would make a great entry level EV pickup.

Agree but also  adding improved battery tech to existing Lightning as they become available doesn’t hurt either.

If anything, that would buy more time for T3 while growing existing buyer pool. Ford has lots of choices here.

 

I was also impressed to learn that hybrids now make up 25% of F150 sales, Ford hitting its marks with buyers.

The 6 foot bed option you mentioned seems like a no brainer…I’d also like to see that on the crew cab Ranger.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, akirby said:


I’ve heard T3 is in between F150 and Ranger.  It needs to be smaller just to be more efficient.

 

I would consider a Maverick with a 6’ bed provided the overall length is in the Ranger ballpark or less. 

That got me thinking about actual interior room like hip and shoulder width and leg room.

Looking at Maverick vs Supercrew Ranger, those dimensions are almost the same so

maybe one BEV could cover both of those….

 

On T3 F150, it will be interesting to see if they retain the generous hip and shoulder width,

that would make keeping the the current external width dimension of 79” but we’ll see…..

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, silvrsvt said:

 

Given how the weather has been around here in the winter, the impact of cold temps (freezing) would be almost negligible. If you can charge at home, does it really matter if you only get 150 miles or so of range-unless your driving an hour and half or so to work?

 

One of my coworkers has a Bolt and they don't even have level two charging at home because they don't drive that much.  


Some people actually drive their cars more than to and from work in a given day, such as myself, and when there are few charging options at various destinations, it’s a problem.

 

 I’m turning my MME in because I’m tired of dealing with it.  My situation isn’t exactly like your typical EV owner living in a single family residence, but my experience would be similar to how a person living in a multi-unit building without available charging would be. 

 

7 hours ago, akirby said:


Then people up North can buy the 300 mile battery.  Doesn’t make sense to penalize the entire country because of a few Northern states.


Fair enough.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, akirby said:


Nope I said entry level and 200 is perfect for an entry level model.  I never drive more than 50 miles a day and it won’t be a daily driver so the added range means nothing except added weight and cost.  Of course they should offer 300 and even 400 mile versions.

 

And they will sit on the lot until Ford piles a ton of $$$ on the hood to move them. 200 mile range was "good" on entry level 3-5 years ago, not now...300 is the price of admission to the range game, Entry level or not.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, tbone said:

Some people actually drive their cars more than to and from work in a given day, such as myself, and when there are few charging options at various destinations, it’s a problem.

 

I’m turning my MME in because I’m tired of dealing with it.  My situation isn’t exactly like your typical EV owner living in a single family residence, but my experience would be similar to how a person living in a multi-unit building without available charging would be. 

 

Here is the thing-how much of an edge case do you make it? According to the Dept of Transportation, average distance driven in a day is roughly 40 miles. I get it might not work for you (and of course your the most important person to yourself :p) but it might work for other people...that is what needs to be "figured out", just like unrealistic demands of a 400-500 mile range EV when the vast majority of ICE go about 300-400 per tank aren't best either. 

Its finding what a large amount of customers deem acceptable, but yet the vast majority of buyers "overbuy" a vehicle that they actually don't need, just because of perceived needs. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/8/2024 at 10:38 AM, akirby said:


<cough> Bronco <cough>

 

Oh, I totally agree, I prefer they'd announce something a few months before it's available instead of waiting for a year (or years) before it's available.

 

On 6/8/2024 at 10:41 AM, akirby said:

I think they are using some things they found with the skunkworks team that they’re applying to T3 which is why they delayed it a bit.  It won’t be cheap but neither is the current F150. I would love to see a Supercab T3 with a 6’ bed similar in overall size to Ranger.  200 mile range would make a great entry level EV pickup.

 

Would you like a Avalanche Silverado EV style midgate?

 

On 6/8/2024 at 6:54 PM, jpd80 said:

Agree but also  adding improved battery tech to existing Lightning as they become available doesn’t hurt either.

If anything, that would buy more time for T3 while growing existing buyer pool. Ford has lots of choices here.

 

I was also impressed to learn that hybrids now make up 25% of F150 sales, Ford hitting its marks with buyers.

The 6 foot bed option you mentioned seems like a no brainer…I’d also like to see that on the crew cab Ranger.

 

Maybe the quote from an article on sales threads was wrong then....it said the below - that can't be right, unless they're only selling 23,064 F-150s of the 69,467 "F-series" last month?

 

Ford said sales of the hybrid version of the F-150 rose 51% on sales of 5,766 trucks.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/9/2024 at 5:48 AM, twintornados said:

 

And they will sit on the lot until Ford piles a ton of $$$ on the hood to move them. 200 mile range was "good" on entry level 3-5 years ago, not now...300 is the price of admission to the range game, Entry level or not.


Not if the price is right.  Nobody is spending $50k on a 200 mile range but if it was $25k they would sell just fine.  Same reason people bought Fiestas.

  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

 

Would you like a Avalanche Silverado EV style midgate?


Now that you mention it, that might actually work for my use cases.  But then I’d have to stop making fun of it.

  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...