Ford Europe boss resigned and turn back to… VW!

Posted (edited)

https://fordauthority.com/2024/06/ford-of-europe-boss-martin-sander-resigns-heads-back-to-vw/

Ford of Europe is currently ramping up production of the all-new electric Ford Explorer and is set to introduce a second EV based on its platform soon. But the Ford executive responsible for bringing the company’s European division into a more electrified age has just resigned and will head back to Volkswagen, where he spent his entire career before joining the Blue Oval.

Maybe the title of the news must be: “A VW man return to the company, after destroyed the competitor Ford”

This is incredible…. This is the man responsable for desmanteling the Ford line up in Europe…  and now return, triunfant , to his company, VW

😠

Edited by .I.

Posted (edited)

Martin Sander was also key in the project of how Ford took two MEB based vehicles

and basically changed most things to make them better lower cost vehicles  that are

less labor intense to build. A big reason  why this guy will be extremely important to VW.

I can’t help feeling that as good as the E Explorer and Capri will be, Ford has already

moved way beyond them with its own design architecture coming in a couple of years.

Edited by jpd80

6 hours ago, jpd80 said:

Martin Sander was also key in the project of how Ford took two MEB based vehicles

and basically changed most things to make them better lower cost vehicles  that are

less labor intense to build. A big reason  why this guy will be extremely important to VW.

I can’t help feeling that as good as the E Explorer and Capri will be, Ford has already

moved way beyond them with its own design architecture coming in a couple of years.

Yup, that's why I always viewed that move as a stopgap - a long term tie-up never made sense to me.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, rmc523 said:

Yup, that's why I always viewed that move as a stopgap - a long term tie-up never made sense to me.

Exactly, it’s an opportunity for a real world dress rehearsal before Ford’s new designs are locked in.

Not every day we get to see Ford do massive changes to an existing VW platform and make it better.

Edited by jpd80

1 minute ago, jpd80 said:

Exactly, it’s an opportunity for a real world dress rehearsal before Ford’s new designs are locked in.

Kinda like the lightning in a sense. Not a terrible product, but very clearly something that was put out with minimal investment while t3 is being developed as Ford's truly groundbreaking EV truck. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, DeluxeStang said:

Kinda like the lightning in a sense. Not a terrible product, but very clearly something that was put out with minimal investment while t3 is being developed as Ford's truly groundbreaking EV truck. 

Correct, it made perfect sense to have a BEV truck that could be build as a very close cousin of the ICE F150.

You could even argue that the case for that to continue has increases considering the lower anticipated volume.

Ford now using a third of the production in its Rouge Electric Vehicle Center and doubling down on hybrids.

A lot of the excitement and anticipation over the T3 BEV Truck seems to have evaporated….

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jpd80 said:

A lot of the excitement and anticipation over the T3 BEV Truck seems to have evaporated….

That's unfortunate, I remember where everyone was talking about how great it was, and how excited they were to finally show it to the public. I've heard it's going to be very expensive, so perhaps that's why some are less enthusiastic about it now that Ford knows the future of EVs is in compact, affordable vehicles, and not some massive 130 grand truck. They probably realize even if t3 is seen as very revolutionary, it probably won't sell in massive volumes. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jpd80 said:

I think they are just keeping their cards close to their chest. The whole EV thing a lot more politicalized/beat to death by various media sources then it really needs to be. It apparently has a lot of interest, because of all the incendiary (pro and con) articles (often half baked) that are about EVs in general. Unfortunately we live in a world where the extremes are the only thing that is being reported or talked about. Ford is better off not talking about just because of that. Just look at the giant dud the Cybertruck is after all the hype. 

Maybe start talking about it six months before it hits the showroom. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, DeluxeStang said:

That's unfortunate, I remember where everyone was talking about how great it was, and how excited they were to finally show it to the public. I've heard it's going to be very expensive, so perhaps that's why some are less enthusiastic about it now that Ford knows the future of EVs is in compact, affordable vehicles, and not some massive 130 grand truck. They probably realize even if t3 is seen as very revolutionary, it probably won't sell in massive volumes. 

18 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

I think they are just keeping their cards close to their chest. The whole EV thing a lot more politicalized/beat to death by various media sources then it really needs to be. It apparently has a lot of interest, because of all the incendiary (pro and con) articles (often half baked) that are about EVs in general. Unfortunately we live in a world where the extremes are the only thing that is being reported or talked about. Ford is better off not talking about just because of that. Just look at the giant dud the Cybertruck is after all the hype. 

Maybe start talking about it six months before it hits the showroom. 

Honestly, I agree with both of you because now is not the time to press forward with an all new BEV F150.

I would prefer that the market gets a real good look at Cybertruck and the BEV Silverado in these indifferent

selling times because  with so much cynicism, both will be a mixed blessing to live with and please owners.

The beauty of that is Ford has the Lightning and it can concentrate on winning existing buyers with the 

promise of a much better truck coming by trade in time in the next few years.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, jpd80 said:

Correct, it made perfect sense to have a BEV truck that could be build as a very close cousin of the ICE F150.

You could even argue that the case for that to continue has increases considering the lower anticipated volume.

Ford now using a third of the production in its Rouge Electric Vehicle Center and doubling down on hybrids.

I also see it pointless to try to hype up something that’s still so far off for public consumption 

• Like 1

I think they are using some things they found with the skunkworks team that they’re applying to T3 which is why they delayed it a bit.  It won’t be cheap but neither is the current F150. I would love to see a Supercab T3 with a 6’ bed similar in overall size to Ranger.  200 mile range would make a great entry level EV pickup.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, akirby said:

I think they are using some things they found with the skunkworks team that they’re applying to T3 which is why they delayed it a bit.  It won’t be cheap but neither is the current F150. I would love to see a Supercab T3 with a 6’ bed similar in overall size to Ranger.  200 300 mile range would make a great entry level EV pickup.

FIFY

44 minutes ago, akirby said:

I think they are using some things they found with the skunkworks team that they’re applying to T3 which is why they delayed it a bit.  It won’t be cheap but neither is the current F150. I would love to see a Supercab T3 with a 6’ bed similar in overall size to Ranger.  200 mile range would make a great entry level EV pickup.

Would you consider a maverick EV if the ev version adopted a more cab forward design with a longer bed? I'm curious if that's the direction they're gonna do it with the CE1 maverick, as the shorter bed has been one of only criticisms people have had for them. 

It sounds like t3 will be about the size of the current f-150 with proportions that are apparently very similar to the ram rev concept. 

Posted (edited)
37 minutes ago, DeluxeStang said:

Forget the bronco, remember the mustang hybrid Ford said was coming around 2017?

But that wasn’t released publicly was it?

This was hyped in 2017 - a full 3.5 years before it actually was available.

image.thumb.png.5290822373c0692371d1778639f37d76.png

Edited by akirby

40 minutes ago, twintornados said:

FIFY

Nope I said entry level and 200 is perfect for an entry level model.  I never drive more than 50 miles a day and it won’t be a daily driver so the added range means nothing except added weight and cost.  Of course they should offer 300 and even 400 mile versions.

20 minutes ago, DeluxeStang said:

Would you consider a maverick EV if the ev version adopted a more cab forward design with a longer bed? I'm curious if that's the direction they're gonna do it with the CE1 maverick, as the shorter bed has been one of only criticisms people have had for them. 

It sounds like t3 will be about the size of the current f-150 with proportions that are apparently very similar to the ram rev concept. 

I’ve heard T3 is in between F150 and Ranger.  It needs to be smaller just to be more efficient.

I would consider a Maverick with a 6’ bed provided the overall length is in the Ranger ballpark or less. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, akirby said:

But that wasn’t released publicly was it?

This was hyped in 2017 - a full 3.5 years before it actually was available.

image.thumb.png.5290822373c0692371d1778639f37d76.png

I can't find the exact announcement date, but Ford mentioned a mustang hybrid coming out well before the s650 was released, and this was when we thought we were gonna get s650 in like 2021. I want to say off the top of my head, Ford announced the mustang hybrid around the same time they announced the mach-e, back when they were calling it the mach-1. 

3 hours ago, akirby said:

Nope I said entry level and 200 is perfect for an entry level model.  I never drive more than 50 miles a day and it won’t be a daily driver so the added range means nothing except added weight and cost.  Of course they should offer 300 and even 400 mile versions.

It’s not perfect for the cold regions.  You basically can cut the range in half during the winter, so you would need at least the 300 mile battery option you referenced.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DeluxeStang said:

I can't find the exact announcement date, but Ford mentioned a mustang hybrid coming out well before the s650 was released, and this was when we thought we were gonna get s650 in like 2021. I want to say off the top of my head, Ford announced the mustang hybrid around the same time they announced the mach-e, back when they were calling it the mach-1. 

It would be nice if they had electric motors driving the front wheels and gas to the rear, giving you all wheel drive.  

1 hour ago, tbone said:

It’s not perfect for the cold regions.  You basically can cut the range in half during the winter, so you would need at least the 300 mile battery option you referenced.  

Then people up North can buy the 300 mile battery.  Doesn’t make sense to penalize the entire country because of a few Northern states.

49 minutes ago, akirby said:

Then people up North can buy the 300 mile battery.  Doesn’t make sense to penalize the entire country because of a few Northern states.

Given how the weather has been around here in the winter, the impact of cold temps (freezing) would be almost negligible. If you can charge at home, does it really matter if you only get 150 miles or so of range-unless your driving an hour and half or so to work?

One of my coworkers has a Bolt and they don't even have level two charging at home because they don't drive that much.