New Truck Modernizes Mail Service Fleet, 'Leaping Them Forward 30 Years'

Current trucks started in 1986.  So 37 years.  Article is off by nearly a decade.

And yes, butt ugly.  But they'll have no excuse for not being able to see out the front.  I wonder how those will cope with North Dakota winters and heating?  Big a$$ windshield can't be easy to keep defrosted.

3 minutes ago, 92merc said:

Current trucks started in 1986.  So 37 years.  Article is off by nearly a decade.

And yes, butt ugly.  But they'll have no excuse for not being able to see out the front.  I wonder how those will cope with North Dakota winters and heating?  Big a$$ windshield can't be easy to keep defrosted.

Or replaced. 

I don't know about everyone else here, but my junk mail is getting to be overwhelming. I must be on dozens of lists, and it is worse now in an election year. The ones that are really annoying are the ones that include a check that I'm supposed to be guilted into matching and returning. Others are the 11x14 surveys I get almost weekly.

Many of the non-profits are abusing their special postal rates, and the extra load is a substantial part of what's causing the USPS to do two deliveries per day and sometimes Sunday in some areas. And buy ever bigger trucks to carry it all. I would restrict N-P's to one business size envelope with two pages max and a return envelope to post at a non-profit rate. Any bigger would mail at standard retail rate. With ACH I get very few hard copy bills anymore. My Internet bill is one of the humorous ones. Every bill exhorts me to  "Just go Paperless-less waste" etc But usually included is a 6 color flyer inviting me to get premium channels or buy a pay-per view event.

The mind boggles at what rolling stock would be necessary if we didn't have email.

38 minutes ago, Chrisgb said:

Or replaced. 

I was expecting to see a seam or something. That's gonna be super expensive to replace when it gets cracked. You would think they'd have a windshield that large, especially on a fleet vehicle where repair costs are important, be made up of multiple pieces of glass, so you could just replace part of it if there was damage. But I guess not. 

10 minutes ago, Chrisgb said:

I don't know about everyone else here, but my junk mail is getting to be overwhelming. I must be on dozens of lists, and it is worse now in an election year. The ones that are really annoying are the ones that include a check that I'm supposed to be guilted into matching and returning. Others are the 11x14 surveys I get almost weekly.

Many of the non-profits are abusing their special postal rates, and the extra load is a substantial part of what's causing the USPS to do two deliveries per day and sometimes Sunday in some areas. And buy ever bigger trucks to carry it all. I would restrict N-P's to one business size envelope with two pages max and a return envelope to post at a non-profit rate. Any bigger would mail at standard retail rate. With ACH I get very few hard copy bills anymore. My Internet bill is one of the humorous ones. Every bill exhorts me to  "Just go Paperless-less waste" etc But usually included is a 6 color flyer inviting me to get premium channels or buy a pay-per view event.

The mind boggles at what rolling stock would be necessary if we didn't have email.

What is driving bigger vehicles is the amount of packages being shipped via USPS or USPS doing UPS deliveries or Amazon Deliveries. 

2 hours ago, Chrisgb said:

My junk mail is getting exhausting too.  Always credit card applications, real estate agents, and life insurance applications.  All of it goes straight into the shredder as soon as I get back to the house.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Chrisgb said:

I've seen people that have started taking those "return postage paid" letters and putting them on boxes they fill with rocks and ship them back to make them pay for it.