Bring back the Mercury "godhead" logo!

While surfing today, I stumbled on the following logo.

godhead.jpg

godhead150.jpg

If Mercury brand is retained longterm, they've GOT to bring this back. It's just too cool!

I can remember seeing it on my Grandpa's big ol' '65 Merc Monterey with the reverse cant rear window.

1965MontereyBreezeway.jpg

:)

-Ovaltine

Well I really like the old moniker and the new one stands for nothing it will never happen.

The target audience is: woman, minorities and the G&L community. Trust me they have no interest in that ornament.

It is to bad because it looks great.

The target audience is: woman, minorities and the G&L community. Trust me they have no interest in that ornament.

If that's true, and the brand's sales are a fraction of what they've been in the past, perhaps it's time for someone with some cojones at FoMoCo/Mercury to stand UP and shuck off the above "target market" and put some "kick ass" back in Mercury!!!!

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, quit screwing around with focus groups of marginal value and just START making cars that make the average American say: "DAMN! NOW I GOTTA GET ME SOME OF THAT!!!!!"

Look at the sales results of the current Mustang..... now THAT is the above philosophy at work. This ain't rocket science guys and gals!

:)

69merc14488-A.jpg

mercury-cougar-1a.jpg

1970-Mercury-Cougar-Eliminator.jpg

966_Ford_Mercury_Comet_Cyclone_GT.jpg

P1010101.sized.jpg

-Ovaltine

Edited by Ovaltine

No thanks, the Mercury head logo is ugly and can't be incorporated well in modern applications which are MUCH larger.

Besides, who wants a face plastered all over their car?

Says the guy with a pussymobile in his avator. Why is it that the Hyundia guy can get it an no one else does? Ford is killing Mercury with the whole 'women' image. It was never what Mercury was about. They had their chance with the Marauder and they blew it of course. Not a week goes by where someone walks up to me and says "That's a Mercury? WOW!". Then I have to respond "Yeah but they don't make them any more :finger: ". I'm still waiting on that Mustang based Mercury Cougar with IRS and a 3.5 Duratech V6 with 300 hp! I'm still looking foward to the American G35!

Edited by StevenJ

The target audience is: woman, minorities and the G&L community.

:hysterical::hysterical::hysterical:

Oh my God, does this company really wonder why it's going out of business? LMAO

:hysterical:

:titanic:

You guys are too funny. lol

Says the guy with a pussymobile in his avator. Why is it that the Hyundia guy can get it an no one else does?

Hey, HEY now! Just remember folks.... I DO have a classic 5.0 5-speed 'Stang in my garage! B)

And btw... the daily driver's a KIA, not a Hyundai! :lol:

But thanks for the support. It's nice to see a FEW of the contributors on here have figured it out.

And though I respect an individual's opinion about what they like and dislike, I still say if Ford wants

to make a statement with Mercury, bring back some mean styled stump-pullin' cars WITH the classic Mercury logo and see what the market thinks about that.

Oh.... and keep Jill Wagner, but put her in some tight black leather outfits!

-Ovaltine

Edited by Ovaltine

I agree with Ovaltine...Mercury needs to kick some ass again. As a whole, Mercury is my favorite FoMoCo brand, but mostly based on the past lineup. I'd be such a happy camper if there was a mid-level, RWD, V8-only Cougar with gorgeous styling and sequential taillights on the road right now. As much as it's good that Ford is defining a target for Mercury, they don't need to neuter the brand completely...give it one or two ass-kicking muscle coupes / sedans to keep us speed junkies happy.

OK, if you want stump-pulling then I gurantee you the Mercury Mountaineer is the first and only Mercury actually capable of the task.

And if you want to call me a fag, I'm not the one advocating that a male greek God be plastered all over a Ford brand.

And wasn't the Marauder an astounding success? I mean, they only needed...what....$8K in incentives to get them off the lots? Yeah, we sure need more of that for Mercury! Afterall, they are killing Mercury by targeting REAL customers.

Edited by Edgey

Did you paint my parents old poop brown Motego GT red! I loved that car, but it took forever to find out what it was cause I was a little kid at the time and we simply called it "the Mercury". Oddly enough, dad replaced it with a '76 Electra 225 that we simply called "the Buick" :shrug: .

I'm torn over Mercury, it has WAY cool vehicles and is my favorite FOMOCO brand, but i worry it and Lincoln are dragging Ford down. I think the current lineup is good, but I would love to see a big honkin' RWD 2 door hardtop with a V-8. Bring back some ball swingin' attitude to the brand. The same platform could underpin a real successor to the Mark and a Thunderbird. I would also like to see the Marquis updated but not significantly changed.

As for the logo, sorry guys. The thing that drew back to Mercury as a teen was the waterfall logo. :cheerleader:

Its not the "go ahead" logo. Its Mercury, The Roman God of Speed/Travel...

Re-read the topic/subject.... I used the term 'godhead', not 'go ahead'.

I saw it referred to that way in a couple of other websites, so I thought that might be

some known term for it. But you are right..... Mercury is the the Roman name for

the Greek god Hermes.

-Ovaltine

OK, if you want stump-pulling then I gurantee you the Mercury Mountaineer is the first and only Mercury actually capable of the task.

And if you want to call me a fag, I'm not the one advocating that a male greek God be plastered all over a Ford brand.

And wasn't the Marauder an astounding success? I mean, they only needed...what....$8K in incentives to get them off the lots? Yeah, we sure need more of that for Mercury! Afterall, they are killing Mercury by targeting REAL customers.

The term "stump-pulling" IS used to refer to automobiles that produce copious amounts of torque.

See the term used here in reference to muscle cars:

http://www.is-it-a-lemon.com/modules.php?n...r=0&thold=0

The quote in this article is:

"Its use in the Formula and Trans Am was discussed in chapter 3, but it warrants a second notice. Here was a low-compression mill that had stump-pulling torque, decent horsepower, and the easygoing temperament Poncho motors were famous for."

And for the record I didn't infer anything about your sexual orientation. But I am the one who thinks that a Roman/Greek god logo that has a historical relationship with a brand during some of its best sales and reputation years would be a GREAT choice when attempting to jump start the brand with a radically different product line.

That IS if you're a manufacturer that wants to move some iron off of its dealer's lots.

-Ovaltine

Edited by Ovaltine

For a time, Mercury had a lot of exclusive options that weren't available on the Ford Clone. Usually it was a performance or handling package, or some kind of appearance and convenience package, but it was EXCLUSIVE. That's what kept Mercury aspirational and allowed them to command a higher price than the Ford Clone. They still kept their volume up, though, because the prices were still reasonable.

At the very least, let Mercury have a modern handling nad performance package. Maybe a premium tune for the engine, retuned springs and shocks, better rubber, maybe some minor aero features that reduce drag or something. Just make it something more than the comparable ford. If Ford decides to do an SVT, that's fine, and there doesn't have to be a mercury version that outdoes it, since SVT has its own exclusivity.

Hey, HEY now! Just remember folks.... I DO have a classic 5.0 5-speed 'Stang in my garage! B)

You people are way too senstitive, geez sarcasm people sarcasm.

The Marauder wasn't a rousing success because Ford never put any effort into it.

1) They could have easily made it a lot faster from the factory without slapping on a blower. Minor moddifications revaled by tuners such as Lidio of Alternative Automotive, revealed an easy 20 hp just from adjusting the spark curve and shutting off the alternator at WOT. Installing 3.73, or 4.10 gears from the factory would of been very benificial too and they could have just easily solved any driveshaft vibration problems by using the MMX driveshaft. They used them in the 1999 Crown Victoria PI cars, why not use it for another high performance panther? Oh yeah they didn't. Want to know why? Because Ford is a cheap company! Even though I do love Ford their habbit of decontenting is obvious.

2)They ran one advertisement for the car and that was it. The thing was barely advertised.

3) It was over priced by $4,000. If they had priced it from the factory with 3.73 or 4.10 gears, a stronger tune making oh 315 hp which would be very easy and wouldn't hurt long term reliability at all, and an MMX driveshaft from the factory for $31,000 it would have sold in acceptable numbers and would have been a hit just as the 300 was. All they would need then is to advertisement the damn thing!

4) Look on autotrader and see how much low milage used late model 03' 300Bs and 04' 300As are going for. They are reselling for close to $20,000 - $26,000 with low miles on them. The DTR 04's and especially the Blue 03's hold their values exceptionally well but either way these are hot items on the used car market and will easily become a collector item just like the B-body Impala SS are now.

I know many people are probably tired of me and my ways with the panther mafia, hehe. But I have to get the word out. These are excellent vehicles and they represent the spirit of what Mercury should be. Large cars meant for businessmen with lots of hp and comfort and perferably RWD. I'm not saying axe the Milan and Mariner etc, I say keep them too. However, don't ignore the core spirit of Mercury. The Upscale luxury Cougar and larger four door behemoths with battleship engine! That's the core spirit of Mercury right there and I love having my God's head embrodied into the head rest of my Marauder, thank you very much.

Edited by StevenJ

I got all excited when the Marauder came out in '02 and they were using the Mercury head again. I thought they would do away with possibly the STUPIDEST logo ever slapped on a car.

But once again, Mercury disappointed me. :doh:

There was an article in I believe the Wall Street Journal recently that said the advantage the U.S. mfgrs have over the imports is that they have the heritage. Changing the Mercury logo back to what it was would be a great way to say, o.k., we had a great heritage and we are returning to that time and making some exciting cars.

When Elena Ford took over Mercury I honestly thought that might happen.

It might be possible to use the "Head", but it has to be re-done. A re-do could be quite different.

It would be an interesting task for Mercury design people to assign to the students at the Art Center in LA.

More important, maybe the "Bent Stripes" logo needs replacement.

What about an integration of the gods-head logo with the actual word "Mercury"? That would address someone's earlier comment about size being an issue - it would make the badge larger without necessarily increasing the size of the gods-head itself. The brand is so lost in identity these days, it may help with brand recognition. I saw they sort of started to do this on the Mariner and Mountaineer with the metal "M E R C UR Y" strip across the rear bumper covers.

Re-read the topic/subject.... I used the term 'godhead', not 'go ahead'.

I saw it referred to that way in a couple of other websites, so I thought that might be

some known term for it. But you are right..... Mercury is the the Roman name for

the Greek god Hermes.

-Ovaltine

Your so right. I seen how others called it "go ahead" and stepped in. I agree its a nice design. :yup: