Ford says it's ready for truck fight

the SuperDuty being a prime example of bad design.

Well, yeah, except for the parts where they changed it so that it's less likely to blind or kill people driving MKZs. Unlike GM, which has an unwritten policy regarding the desirability of death and serious injury to people driving (or riding in) MKZs.

Besides, don't forget, you're not a target customer for Ford. You don't like Extreme Home Makeover, you don't watch American Idol, and well, you like being contrary.

Edited by RichardJensen

I'd underline the Nav...except for one thing:

its sales were up 40% or more last month, and some of them were the new ones.

I did "death to the Nav's team" threads here and elsewhere after it got crushed in a comparo...but I admit that I'm enough of a Ford guy that I won't mind if it succeeds anyway. It's not like I'm buying one.

Same old, same old. When the '99 Silverado splashed, just two years after the '97 F-150 and five before the next F-150 it didn't threaten the F-150's reign, I see little reason to panic this time around.

Also, the last thing Ford needs to do is chase its competitors with "bigger grilles." Look at those Ram sales...

Scott

Well, yeah, except for the parts where they changed it so that it's less likely to blind or kill people driving MKZs. Unlike GM, which has an unwritten policy regarding the desirability of death and serious injury to people driving (or riding in) MKZs.

Besides, don't forget, you're not a target customer for Ford. You don't like Extreme Home Makeover, you don't watch American Idol, and well, you like being contrary.

That is what auto-dimming mirrors are for. And I'm not convinced functional design needs to be ugly.

And who says I didn't like Extreme Makeover: Home Edition. It's actually one of the only shows I watch regularly ;). What's that about statistical outliers again?

The Navigator certainly is another example of poor design, as is the Expedition.

Edited by BORG

That is what auto-dimming mirrors are for. And I'm not convinced functional design needs to be ugly.

And who says I didn't like Extreme Makeover: Home Edition. It's actually one of the only shows I watch regularly ;). What's that about statistical outliers again?

Hmph. I thought Ty Pennington would drive you up the walls.

Don't tell me....show me. The 300HP 5.4L and 4 speed automatic, isn't really convincing me that they are serious. So till a much larger engine is introduced on the LD and HD F-150's, with a 6 speed, and a diesel...THEN I'll start to believe it...

6.2 Boss, 4.4 Diesel, and 6 spd all arrive with new F-150 in late 08. 4.4 diesel will be built in Mexico along with an in house Ford 6.7 TT PSD Diesel to replace the 6.4 Navistar.

Ford just needs to keep doing what they are doing and they won't have any problems selling trucks. Where they will stumble, if at all, is making the truck too flashy. They have been selling more because they built an all around better truck. Some aspects not a good as others but overall, the value is there.

Make the truck user friendly and don't go overboard and they will be fine. The Tundra won't touch this truck. It will be fighting the Titan before it gets to the big dogs. The GM twins will get theirs but Ford will keep what its got.

6.2 Boss, 4.4 Diesel, and 6 spd all arrive with new F-150 in late 08. 4.4 diesel will be built in Mexico along with an in house Ford 6.7 TT PSD Diesel to replace the 6.4 Navistar.

That's great news! So in the next two years, I need to figure out if I want the BOSS or the diesel. Maybe I'll get the BOSS in an F150 for myself and get an Expedition with the diesel for the wife. Any word on HP, torque, etc.?

OMG it can't be! Ford Launching new engines at the same time a new model is introed? Hearsay!

(for the less then obvious crowd, this post was in jest)

God no.....

The last thing Ford needs to do is put a larger, Super Duty like grill on the F-150, the grill is the worst part of the 08 Super Duty, one that even loyal Ford truck buyers are havuing a hard time seeing past. ford needs to stop following 12 year old Dodge styling "successes", making a big bad looking truck canbedone without the use of an overly large, hideous grill, if you have designers that are capable.

I hope "late 08" means at the same time as the introduction of the new F-series.

If Ford launches another major product with last gen powertrains in 2008, every automotive rag will trash them, and rightly so, I hope by then they learn about the mistake of bringing out new powertrains after the buzz of a new design has worn off and it's already been given a black eye...

I wonder if it will carry on with ford tradition and be even heavier? And I wonder what kind of power numbers the 6.2 will be making. Wasn't aware there was an in house 6.7 diesel on the way too. That should be a torque monster..

God no.....

The last thing Ford needs to do is put a larger, Super Duty like grill on the F-150, the grill is the worst part of the 08 Super Duty, one that even loyal Ford truck buyers are havuing a hard time seeing past. ford needs to stop following 12 year old Dodge styling "successes", making a big bad looking truck canbedone without the use of an overly large, hideous grill, if you have designers that are capable.

Everyone I showed the new 08 Super Duty photos too LOVED the looks of it (both owned/owners of Super Duties). I admit the headlights are a bit strange, but overall its a good looking truck

If I recall Ford stated that the current F-150 would be influenced by the Super Duty back before it debuted. And while you can see some influence if you look closely similarities are very subtle at best and I would expect the same here. IMO this is a good thing since the SD's look is a bit over the top for the F-150.

Along that line, in response to those complaining about the look of the new Super Duty...while I'll admit it is a bit polarizing at first I have little doubt that it is going to be very well received. The model it is replacing was quite polarizing, and controversial, upon introduction and has arguably become the standard bearer for what HD trucks are supposed to look like since then. This truck simply takes the areas where that one pushed the limits and pushed them a little farther. In a year we'll be hearing about how well thought out the new look is.

As for Ford's intention to retain the number one spot...I think this has become as much of a burden over the decades as a benefit. While there is some value to retaining the number one position it seems that Ford has held it so long it no longer holds much of a wow factor. Unfortunately, should Ford happen to lose the number one spot we'll no doubt hear tales of doom and gloom on Biblical proportions. It will be touted as the end of Ford as a company and a brand with everyone wondering what went wrong.

What makes this truly unfortunate is that Ford is no doubt forced to make decisions regarding their truck lineup based around protecting that lead instead of around ideas like increasing market share overall or improving the product line as a whole. An example would be the possibility of a well executed mid-size pickup in the Ford lineup...a move which would likely never make it to production given the fact that it would likely cannabilize sales of the F-150. So instead of a proper mid-size pickup we get the Sport Trac, which keeps the F-150 safe by being a hopelessly compromised design itself.

Edited by jlsaylor