The 2008 Cadillac CTS

DCK

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree. Write "overstyled POS" in the new Focus topic and watch the reactions.

BUBUBU WYH TEH NEGATIVITY???? DONT U HAV ANYTIHGN GOOD 2 SAY???

Hilarious double standards from silvrsvt and Co.

They like to dish it, but can't take it. No more complaning now.

Well one someone puts down that its stunning, I sure has hell don't get that feeling from it. Just my option...and you have to go pointing it for whatever reason.

I guess you missed the part that I was disapointed with the 500 refresh and the Focus was vast improvement over the total joke the released in 05..as for styling well its better then the out going model, and not that bad looking, but its sure as hell not stunning. I'd rate the CTS and Focus as almost equals in my wood-o-meter/stunning when it comes to styling.

Getting back on topic, The interior looks good on the CTS, but I dont like the front end of it, it reminds me of the Bat mobile with the recessed cut outs below the grill. The rest of it is ok.

:reading: After seeing the new CTS on the morning news this morning, I was stunned. The car is gorgous and is going to give the BMW 3 Series a real run for its money. The CTS styling and proportions and redigned interior will bring current CTS owners back in droves to trade up to the new one.... something Ford cannot seem to do with any of its cars.

It is great to see that GM which produced some of the blandest cars these past few years and looked like it was on the brink of bankruptsy has come back strong with stunning cars, hybrids, and full line of CUV's. Ford just continues limping along, shouting bold moves. I am frankly not impressed by any of its offerings at this autoshow, especially when one considers that there is a snowballs chance in hell that Ford will actually produce a bold design like the Interceptor.

Well, I think I'm going to go ahead and disagree with everyone here. As a young professional, I have to say...

I...

WANT...

ONE!!!!!

Or two, when the CTS-v comes out! :shades:

How about 3 and you can just go ahead and have one shipped to me.

Of course I would be expecting the 300hp versoin in AWD, Black exterior and black leather interior with a darker wood finish. Navigation I would also be expecting......................Then when the CTS-V comes out you can have one sent to me also.

And for that I would provide you with a sincere "thank you"

That thing's going to look like shit in a few years. The current CTS's look like hell when they've been owned for a while and have been to more than one dealership in its lifetime for one reason or another.

Maybe it's because no one takes care of their cars here in Charleston, but you just wait.

Edited by Kotzenjunge

How about 3 and you can just go ahead and have one shipped to me.

Of course I would be expecting the 300hp versoin in AWD, Black exterior and black leather interior with a darker wood finish. Navigation I would also be expecting......................Then when the CTS-V comes out you can have one sent to me also.

And for that I would provide you with a sincere "thank you"

Well, for something like a CTS-v, I would prefer it in RWD. I want to be able to steer that sucker with the accelerator.

In all honesty, if I wanted an AWD vehicle, I'd probably take a close look at the MkZ...

That's because the Five Hundred is a minor facelift.

Anybody with two eyes and a functioning brain should be able to see that this is much more than a facelift.

What are you talking about? It got a new face which isn't even new from the escalade and took a new butt which isn't even new from the STS.

All new interior which looks subpar when compared to Audi. Oh yea even the lowly MKZ has standard Tilt & Telescope wheel.

I was expecting a 'WORLD-BEATER'. What happened GM? You fucked up yet again.

It's o.k. I never really liked what I call the chicken wire grills but the bars help it. I'd still buy one over a BMW or Lexis but it doesn't excite me. Still, Cadillac is doing something right.

I hope Lincoln is looking at this and sees why they need to build the MKR! :reading:

3 series huh? Size wise, its more of a 5 series fighter. Price wise, its a 3 series fighter. People that want a 3 series are looking for light weight, tossable sharp driving machines that aren't large. The CTS is not small by any stretch of the imagination. The closest competitiors for the true 3 series buyer are, in order of their current appeal:

Lexus IS-350/250

Infiniti G35

Mercedes C class (lux only, driving dynamics still need loads of work according to many many reviewers) C350 amg package might be close

Audi A4/S4

Volvo S40 (well, in size and lux status, though a competent performer, its not the same type of driving experience)

and, though I'm loathed to say it, the Jaguar X-type, though, its at the bottom of the list.

The CTS competes in the same group as the 5 series, A6, S60, M35, Lexus GS, etc. This is again, a SIZE thing. Money wise, its cheaper than many of those and competes with the earlier group. In that regard, it ends up looking like the hyundai of the group to a lot of people.

People used to want to compare the LS to the 3 series a lot as well, and it was much closer to the 5 series for most of its life.

What are you talking about? It got a new face which isn't even new from the escalade and took a new butt which isn't even new from the STS.

All new interior which looks subpar when compared to Audi. Oh yea even the lowly MKZ has standard Tilt & Telescope wheel.

I was expecting a 'WORLD-BEATER'. What happened GM? You fucked up yet again.

It's a shame that your bias for Lincoln prevents you from admitting that the new CTS is a great car. But hey, it's no skin off my back. The overwhelming majority of the automotive world has reacted very positively to it, and that's what counts. LincolnFan doesn't like it, but only LincolnFan thinks that will really make a difference. Everybody else knows it's a great effort from Detroit's premiere luxury brand.

I for one think this new CTS is a huge improvement over the old one. It's sporty and very aggressive looking outside and much refined inside. The dash actually looks as if it doesn't have styling by Sears & Roebuck, but instead pays some homage to the 1969 Pontiac Grand Prix with the guages. Given a choice between this car and a BMW 3-series, give me the Caddy any day. Having driven the V-series, I agree with the comment that a line of demarcation has been reached in domestic luxury cars, just as the 1984 Mark VII LSC did.

I've never been a fan of the Art & Science Cadillacs overall, and I still think the STS is an overpriced disaster. This new CTS more than underscores that. However, Cadillac is leading GM's reniassance which Lincoln should be doing at Ford. Time will tell if Lincoln will play a similar role.

Kudos to Cadillac for the bold, nice new CTS.

It's a shame that your bias for Lincoln prevents you from admitting that the new CTS is a great car. But hey, it's no skin off my back. The overwhelming majority of the automotive world has reacted very positively to it, and that's what counts. LincolnFan doesn't like it, but only LincolnFan thinks that will really make a difference. Everybody else knows it's a great effort from Detroit's premiere luxury brand.

I admire what Cadillac has done to resurrect its brand. However I am not completely sold on the styling. None of their current cars make me drool with envy. The are not necessarily beautiful or sexy. Past Cadillacs were sexy, romantic and flashy to me. I liked most of the 40's, 50's and 60's models but particularly the 1959, various 1960's models which started to look edgier, angular versions of the 1959 model, and the original edgy Eldorado.

Most of Lincoln's luster was defined by the Continentals and Mark series

The new MKR is what I call sexy and romantic with some beautiful surfacing here and there. . Cadillac doesn't really intricately detail its exterior designs. They are just angles, edges and flat surfaces that all convene or intersect. A good design combines a balance complex surfacing.

Another example is finish detail comparing the Lincolns with the Cadillacs. Notice how on the Cadilacs the headlamps lamps go abrupt from painted surfaces to clear lens. There is no chrome detail like the MKR and MKZ have to give the design a finished, trimmed look. In house contruction it is the difference between crown moldings and no crown moldings in a room with 9ft ceilings.

Cadillacs are improving the interiors but they still are not getting the high quality look quite right to me.

I admire what Cadillac has done to resurrect its brand. However I am not completely sold on the styling. None of their current cars make me drool with envy. The are not necessarily beautiful or sexy.

I suppose everybody has different tastes, then. I'm a big fan of Cadillac's styling direction, in some cases more than others. The new CTS is bold without being offensive, edgy without being overdone. I think it looks great.

The new MKR is what I call sexy and romantic with some beautiful surfacing here and there. . Cadillac doesn't really intricately detail its exterior designs. They are just angles, edges and flat surfaces that all convene or intersect.
The MKR is certainly nice, but I really couldn't disagree with you more about your assertion of Cadillac's "simple" exterior designs - especially with regard to the new CTS. Check out the area around the fender vent, in particular. The designers clearly spent lots of time on the details. The old car was definitely lacking in exterior detailing, but I feel that's been rectified here. It looks much more sophisticated, much more upmarket than its predecessor.

Another example is finish detail comparing the Lincolns with the Cadillacs. Notice how on the Cadilacs the headlamps lamps go abrupt from painted surfaces to clear lens. There is no chrome detail like the MKR and MKZ have to give the design a finished, trimmed look. In house contruction it is the difference between crown moldings and no crown moldings in a room with 9ft ceilings.

I haven't noticed this difference, but I can't say that it really matters too much. You're the absolute first person who's made this distinction, so it appears that the majority of people don't even take notice. I'd say that Lincoln will have to implement this design detail on more than two cars (one of which is a concept) to really have an "upper hand" on Cadillac. But really, if this is the most prominent example of Lincoln's better finishing technique that you can think of, Cadillac has nothing to worry about. Lincoln is so far behind in other areas that it just doesn't matter.

I guess Lincoln has to have something going for them, though. *shrug*

Cadillacs are improving the interiors but they still are not getting the high quality look quite right to me.

I'll put my trust in the people who've had a chance to sit in the CTS. Check out the editor's blog over at Edmunds for a better idea of what I'm talking about. He really loved it.