Mulally to work at a Ford Dealership

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Do you think he would be willing to spin wrenches for a week on the assembly line or work flatrate as a dealer tech with the warranty labor times as they are?

A real man would try it and after he saw his bring home pay report back to the masses and admit that something is wrong with the way things are.

What is he going to learn as a dealer salesperson that he doesn't already know?

Sales are down, we have had no product to sell.

Let's sit around drinking coffee and blame the "Back end" for our problems?

I'll challange Mr. Mulally to a simple task and then a hard one..

Change a PCV valve on a late model Taurus/Sable 3.0l Dohc in twelve minutes.

Replace the head gaskets on a Navigator without removing the body from the frame and do it in the time allowed from the SLTS department.

How hard can it be? Anyone can do it...Right?

The CEO of one of the largest corporations in the world is willing to work at the bottom.................... if just for a day................... to get actual input from actual potential customers....................... and all that many of you can say is it is not enough, and make fun of him.

Thats rich.

Did you ever think that maybe he wants to actually see something with his own eyes................... you know, something that isn't spoon fed to him by other suits.

BTW, Pioneer.................. get your story straight. Either you respect him and think you actually like this guy, and he might do the company some good (as you have said in many of your posts), or "its not like anybody else could do any worse." Make up your mind. Oh................. just for shits and giggles................... exactly how much good or blame do you think he should have, after 4 months.

The CEO of one of the largest corporations in the world is willing to work at the bottom.................... if just for a day................... to get actual input from actual potential customers....................... and all that many of you can say is it is not enough, and make fun of him.
Bless his little condescending heart :hysterical:

Take a step back for a moment.

The man is genuine about seeing how the ordering and delivery and service processes work at Dealer levels.

If he can see failures in the systems first hand maybe he can fix the processes permanently, wouldn't that be a revolution?

Take a step back for a moment.

The man is genuine about seeing how the ordering and delivery and service processes work at Dealer levels.

If he can see failures in the systems first hand maybe he can fix the processes permanently, wouldn't that be a revolution?

It's better than nothing.

I've heard it said many times..Sales get's them in, Service keeps them coming back.

If all he's worried about is moving new FLM products he's still missing the point. FLM has become less than user freindly at both the dealership and retail levels.

Edited by Ron W.

Mulally spends over a month working at a dealership?

Great idea. Why not have him spend the next two years on an assembly line, just so he gets a feel for it.

Mr Jensen, no body can learn a trade in such a short time. Although it seems like and might be a good idea for the king to mingle among the peasents for a day or two will he really learn enough to make a informed decision?

Well if Mr.Mulally is serious about this, the only credible way to do this would be to go unannounced (without entourage)and fanfare. My suggestion would be as a car shopper. And he would have to show up in a 2000 base Focus.

If he is going to play salesperson for the day, the process of setting this scenairo up would create such a unnatural setting the point of it all would be mute.

Mr Jensen, no body can learn a trade in such a short time. Although it seems like and might be a good idea for the king to mingle among the peasents for a day or two will he really learn enough to make a informed decision?

You really think Mullaly wants to learn how to be a salesman? Even with all the cut backs, I am sure he receives tons of feedback from all aspects of Ford operation.

All he needs is to get a perception of what are the main points that are driving customers away from Ford. I could be easy to dump the problem on the dealer base or sales men or whatever but just the fact that an automotive CEO is willing to stop by a dealership an interact with customers and sales staff is a huge deal IMO.

I've been in this business for almost 25 years at the dealer level and find it hard for area managers to grasp the reality of what it takes to sell a car. I am sure if any executive that has the empowerment to make or induce change would spend a full day in any area of a dealership would probably pick up the main problems and "push" the right buttons to correct them. Many issues require a certain lead time, others are pretty simple IMO.

You really think Mullaly wants to learn how to be a salesman? Even with all the cut backs, I am sure he receives tons of feedback from all aspects of Ford operation.

All he needs is to get a perception of what are the main points that are driving customers away from Ford. I could be easy to dump the problem on the dealer base or sales men or whatever but just the fact that an automotive CEO is willing to stop by a dealership an interact with customers and sales staff is a huge deal IMO.

I've been in this business for almost 25 years at the dealer level and find it hard for area managers to grasp the reality of what it takes to sell a car. I am sure if any executive that has the empowerment to make or induce change would spend a full day in any area of a dealership would probably pick up the main problems and "push" the right buttons to correct them. Many issues require a certain lead time, others are pretty simple IMO.

Iacocca's sales experience was one of the reasons he had a feel for product. Cars were real to him not just numbers and charts. He knew what it took to get people to buy cars. Mulally isn't going to become a master salesman but he will have an opportunity to hear from the customer one on one. That is a worthy pursuit.

Iacocca's sales experience was one of the reasons he had a feel for product. Cars were real to him not just numbers and charts. He knew what it took to get people to buy cars. Mulally isn't going to become a master salesman but he will have an opportunity to hear from the customer one on one. That is a worthy pursuit.

Perhaps he'll also notice that the showroom looks like it was designed in 1972 and finally allocate enough budget to get dealer appearance up to date. I can't count how many Ford dealers I drive past that still have 30-40 year old corrogated steel roofs with flimsy-looking half-rusted Blue-Oval-On-A-Pole signs out front. Nothing makes you feel more confident in your new car purchase than a dealership that looks like a strong gust of wind could blow it over.

Edited by NickF1011

He needs to 'learn' to be a salesman? C'mon, if it were the requirement of every CEO that they 'learn' all the jobs they supervise, there would be no CEOs at any large corporation. No one would ever make it.

If this is done on the QT (or the "DL"), it may prove extremely instructive--if, for instance, Mulally spends a Saturday at Denny's Discount Auto Plaza (Home of the Super Deal!), and he actually has to talk to customers who don't know who he is--how much is that worth? If, on the other hand, this is just a publicity stunt, well, it will be about as useful as publicity stunts usually are.

Perhaps he'll also notice that the showroom looks like it was designed in 1972 and finally allocate enough budget to get dealer appearance up to date. I can't count how many Ford dealers I drive past that still have 30-40 year old corrogated steel roofs with flimsy-looking half-rusted Blue-Oval-On-A-Pole signs out front. Nothing makes you feel more confident in your new car purchase than a dealership that looks like a strong gust of wind could blow it over.

The dealers have to borrow that money. Ford doesn't do anything for them, and that "Blue Oval On a Pole" sign cost them about $40k-------also, seeing that it is clad entirely in plastic, where does it rust? At the base around the mounting bolts?

The dealers have to borrow that money. Ford doesn't do anything for them, and that "Blue Oval On a Pole" sign cost them about $40k-------also, seeing that it is clad entirely in plastic, where does it rust? At the base around the mounting bolts?

I don't know what dealerships you have been at, but there are SEVERAL around here where the blue oval is mounted on top of a round steel post that likely has 18 layers of white paint accumulated over the bleeding-through rust spots over the 4 decades the sign has been sitting there. If they paid $40K for those pieces of crap, they really need to find a new sign supplier.

I haven't seen any local dealers with this sign design, but I like it:

used_sign.jpg

As for the dealers having to borrow the money and Ford not doing anything for them, maybe it's time to re-evaluate that policy. Ford Motor Company is represented by these dealers. They should be more than willing to chip in some cash to get them facelifted into the 21st century. First impressions are everything.

Edited by NickF1011

I don't know what dealerships you have been at, but there are SEVERAL around here where the blue oval is mounted on top of a round steel post that likely has 18 layers of white paint accumulated over the bleeding-through rust spots over the 4 decades the sign has been sitting there. If they paid $40K for those pieces of crap, they really need to find a new sign supplier.

I haven't seen any local dealers with this sign design, but I like it:

used_sign.jpg

Weird.

All the Ford dealers around here paid top dollar, then, for the new Blue Oval sign. I didn't think there was a different one available.

This is what everyone around here has. I had assumed it was mandated coast to coast. My mistake....

post-15194-1170780858_thumb.jpg

Weird.

All the Ford dealers around here paid top dollar, then, for the new Blue Oval sign. I didn't think there was a different one available.

This is what everyone around here has. I had assumed it was mandated coast to coast. My mistake....

Most of our dealers around here look like this:

KoonsFordRockvilleOutside.jpg

...or worse!

And that's one of the Koon's Ford dealerships, which is one of the largest Ford dealer groups on the east coast!! Who the heck would want to step foot in that dump?

They should be more than willing to chip in some cash to get them facelifted into the 21st century.

Actually, the dealers that haven't invested in their appearance for like 30 years, are likely to be targeted for consolidation.

And, further, if Ford gives money to dealers, they have to do it fairly----take, for example, the dealer that just invested $1M in his dealership's appearance. Now Ford's going to **give** $300k to his competitor three towns over? How does that not irk this dealer principal?

And if Ford gives this dealer $300k, to make up for the $300k that they gave the dealer three towns over, what happens when this dealer says, "Hey, I do twice the volume that guy does...!!!"

Then you've got situations like this (actually happened): local dealer borrows money from Ford Credit (at a discounted rate) and builds a brand spanking new LM/Mazda showroom, and then all of six months later, moves those franchises out and moves in BMW and Toyota. Ford Credit has just been played for a patsy by this dealer. Now what would happen if Ford had given this money away outright? What happens if the dealer goes belly-up, sells out, or drops the Ford franchise shortly after getting that money?

Yes, it would be nice if Ford would just give money to dealers for improvements, but such would be the endless disputes and issues that it would cause. Ford could not come up with a program that would be considered equitable by all parties, so about all they do now is subsidize loans on the QT.

Actually, the dealers that haven't invested in their appearance for like 30 years, are likely to be targeted for consolidation.

And, further, if Ford gives money to dealers, they have to do it fairly----take, for example, the dealer that just invested $1M in his dealership's appearance. Now Ford's going to **give** $300k to his competitor three towns over? How does that not irk this dealer principal?

And if Ford gives this dealer $300k, to make up for the $300k that they gave the dealer three towns over, what happens when this dealer says, "Hey, I do twice the volume that guy does...!!!"

Then you've got situations like this (actually happened): local dealer borrows money from Ford Credit (at a discounted rate) and builds a brand spanking new LM/Mazda showroom, and then all of six months later, moves those franchises out and moves in BMW and Toyota. Ford Credit has just been played for a patsy by this dealer. Now what would happen if Ford had given this money away outright? What happens if the dealer goes belly-up, sells out, or drops the Ford franchise shortly after getting that money?

Yes, it would be nice if Ford would just give money to dealers for improvements, but such would be the endless disputes and issues that it would cause. Ford could not come up with a program that would be considered equitable by all parties, so about all they do now is subsidize loans on the QT.

Well, there could always be stipulations in the payout for renovations, like saying in order for the money not to be paid back to Ford, the dealer must continue to sell such-and-such brands there for a certain period of time. They could also base the payouts on dealer volume -- that would either weed out the crappy dealers or force them to do their part to increase volume to catch up. Either way, there needs to be some money spent by SOMEBODY to pull Ford dealers into a unified look. Most Ford dealers wouldn't be distinguishable from Crazy Larry's Used Car Emporium if you removed the big blue oval signs from the buildings.

One area most Ford dealers are seriously lacking in also is LANDSCAPING. Most other dealers have some nice hedges/flower beds around the place. Most Ford dealers appear to be nothing but huge spans of asphalt, concrete, and chain link fences. Planting a few shrubs is a nice green and inexpensive thing to do also.

Edited by NickF1011

They could also base the payouts on dealer volume -- that would either weed out the crappy dealers or force them to do their part to increase volume to catch up.

Then, unfortunately, you run into a problem with Ford's rural dealers, which were targeted for elimination by Jac Nasser, and most of them haven't yet regained their trust in Ford--they generally feel they're living on borrowed time--even if they do a consistent and marginally profitable business.

Payouts based on volume would smack of a Ford effort to put them out of business by failing to give them the resources they need to bring their dealership up to date.

Ford really needs to finish their consolidation efforts first. Then they can set about standardizing the appearance of the dealerships (that was actually part of the Blue Oval Certification program, but it was so poorly managed that all it did was alienate the dealers).

Do agree on the landscaping though: It's cheap, and it fits into the whole, "We're a green car company" motif.

BTW, LM, OTOH, has been moving trés modern with their remodeling efforts--

http://woodhouse.com/lincoln_mercury/galleria_opening.htm

I like it.

Edited by RichardJensen