Ford Taurus Reborn

robertlane

Taurus Reborn  

124 members have voted

1. 1. Do you agree with Ford bringing back the Taurus name?

• Yes
    • No
    • On the fence

The family sedan credited with fueling Ford Motor Co.'s comeback in the mid-1980s is being called upon once again to help the faltering automaker.

At the Chicago Auto Show today, Ford plans to announce that it will give its slow-selling Five Hundred sedan the Taurus name, according to company sources who asked not to be named because the announcement is not official.

http://detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?A.../702070411/1148

Edited by robertlane

Those AOL Poll results are kind of surprising, though an angle to look at it is people like familiarity, which helps bring piece of mind when buying an expensive product like a car...

I'm on the Fence about the name and I think the Taurus X name is fucking stupid for the Freestyle, though the TX looks better then the Freestyle.

Should have been the Taurus ST. "X" just doesn't sound right......
None of the new names sound good to me, and after reading what Ford is planning on pricing, I think this is going hit a few bumps in the road. I think that when "Taurus" customers see what price point Ford is going after, many may have sticker shock. It's going to be priced to sell against the Avalon, coming in about $4000 less than the Avalon, but about $4800 above the Camry. A lot of potential customers still see Taurus as a mid-size car selling against Camry and Accord.

None of the new names sound good to me, and after reading what Ford is planning on pricing, I think this is going hit a few bumps in the road. I think that when "Taurus" customers see what price point Ford is going after, many may have sticker shock. It's going to be priced to sell against the Avalon, coming in about $4000 less than the Avalon, but about $4800 above the Camry. A lot of potential customers still see Taurus as a mid-size car selling against Camry and Accord.

Yes, $4800 above a 4 cylinder Camry with no options. That's not even a valid comparison once people even take a glance at the features.

It's the sales staff's job to point customers toward the Fusion if they are really looking for a Camry-type vehicle. Getting customers into the dealership in the first place is what is intended with the name change. Once they are there, they'll see the choices they really have and go from there.

Maybe Ford needs ia a "Retail Queen"?

Perhaps Ford needs to Follow Toyota's lead with the low profit/high volume "Camry" in the retail sector.

350-400K of sales with smallish profit (more than fleet) and develop a market of its own as a full sized car.

Edited by jpd80

Maybe Ford needs ia a "Retail Queen"?

Perhaps Ford needs to Follow Toyota's lead with the low profit/high volume "Camry" in the retail sector.

350-400K of sales with smallish profit (more than fleet) and develop a market of its own as a full sized car.

Ford tried that. It didn't work. Time to try something else. Ford isn't Toyota, and they can't act like Toyota. People accept the Camry's blandness and fleetitude (isn't that a fun word?)because it's a Toyota. They wouldn't accept the same from Ford.

Len,

Its still going to be a bargain against a similarly equipped Camry. Standard 265 hp V-6 and 6 speed, More room than Camry, bigger trunk, better looking (in my opinion) and available AWD that Camry doesn't offer. It is getting an Avalon at a Camry price. The Fusion can go up against the 4 cyl Camry market.

The quality of the former 500 has been good and a high percentage of people who test drive it aparently buy it. It is a move up from the last Taurus in every way. If 200,000 people buy it in the '08 M.Y it will be a huge success. With 3.5 million Taurus owners out there that isn't asking that much. I have always thought the 500/Freestyle/Montego were great family cars handicapped by a truly lousy and uninspired marketing campaign.

The Taurus/Sable name change gives Ford an opportunity to correct a mistake. They need to advertise the hell out of the car by identifying the improvements over the old Taurus sell it as the American Family Car (yeah I know about the Swedish underpinnings-not that there is anything bad about that).

For God's sake No more divorced dad ads or cute Bold Moves. Show people using the car and hit the features hard. The family car market exists tell them about the car.

If this works Mulally will be a genius since it is obviously his idea. The next trick is to be on the money with the next Taurus and get it out by 2010 M.Y. If they let this one die of neglect there will be no reasonable excuse.

Ford tried that. It didn't work. Time to try something else. Ford isn't Toyota, and they can't act like Toyota. People accept the Camry's blandness and fleetitude (isn't that a fun word?)because it's a Toyota. They wouldn't accept the same from Ford.

No Nick, what I meant was to give the Taurus its original mission, to go out and build a new market, this time for a larger car.

Not talking about a bland Camry fighter, just follow the formula of higher volume/ lower profit but in a retail context, not fleet.

Ford is finally attempting to become competitive. Renaming the Five Hundred the Taurus is a smart move. Ford is going to obtain an enormous amount of free publicity.

The drive train in the original Five Hundred was not competitive, and its looks were even more bland than the Toyota generic cars. No wonder the car did not sell.

Using the Taurus X name is also smart marketing. Most customers probably did not know that the Freestyle was the Five Hundred with a different body.

There are lots and lots of former Taurus owners who will come out to see the all-new Taurus. I myself formerly owned three Tauruses, until Ford abandoned the car to the rental fleet market.

What Ford needs soon is a Taurus 500 to replace the SHO. Ford should install the Yahama V/8 being used in some Volvos.

What Ford needs soon is a Taurus 500 to replace the SHO. Ford should install the Yahama V/8 being used in some Volvos.

I don't think I would call it a 500. Way too confusing and 500 doesn't have a performance image. Ford MUST have a new SHO. Yamaha V-8 and AWD with easily identifyable body mods, perhaps a body color grille of maybe a 3 bar version of the Range Rover sport grille. Big ass unique wheels and dual exhaust and a unique interior and gauges. Sell it at a premium price in limited numbers as an aspirational car. And a manual trans would be nice.

They could do a hipo Taurus X sportwagon too.

post-16479-1170911418_thumb.jpg

Edited by Mark B. Morrow

Perhaps customers got bored with Ford and when Toyota came along it took the boring title from Ford. I'm not sure that is something Ford should be going for.

Being a former AAP employee I myself do not think that the car will do any better.Reason is because it will be marketed to different bracket of people. Most people who had a Taurus/Sable will not be able to get the newer version,they will be out priced out of the market. Plus the marketing for the Fusion sucks plus until they build a 2 door versasion they cannot get into the age group that they are wanting to reach. It was sad when yes we were making nothing but fleet but we out built all the other cars ford built. So NO i do not think that it will help. Ford is in deep trouble and Toyota is about to stick them deeper with the new truck.I am getting to think that i did the right thing by getting out.take care

I never understood the separation between the Five Hundred and the Freestyle, all it seemed to to was to clutter the lineup and confuse people. :banghead: Bottom line is that Freestyle was a Five Hundred Crossover Wagon. A couple of years ago, our travel group had Five Hundred and Freestyle rentals, and in a side by side comparison, the two used slightly different front styling and sheet metal, very inefficient on the part of Ford. At the same time, that styling SCREAMED of classic Taurus, so this consolidation and renaming is a very smart move by Ford. Taurus and Taurus X will help each other in boosting sales. :shades:

Edited by Scot T.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know, its basing recognition on the name when it was good 20 years ago to when it was pure rental last year. Anyone under 30 won't think of a Taurus as a class leader. It depends on how you feel if someone asks you what you drive, would you rather say 'A Taurus' or a 'Five Hundred'. My 50+ year old customers think of the 500 as the 'new Taurus' from day one and like it, my younger customers won't touch a Taurus with a 20' pole but will look at the 500.

If Ford hadn't ruined the name of the car through the Nasser years and left it dying on the vine later it would be one thing. Personally I would lower my tone if I answered 'a camry' as well, but most of yuppiedom puts gold plated emblems on them.... Being 35 I am right in the middle, remembering when it was new and as a HS kid where the SHO was the king of the road and BMW's were tin cans for squares... But I would say changing names is a bad move. I'm sitting 4' from one now and 'Five Hundred' on the ass end looks a lot classier.

It was a well rated car, just being blasted for low power and bland styling. Every article on safety features it. Now all the headlines of the new car will be focused on its new name, rather then its improvements-particularly in the little paragraph CR uses in its car roundup every year-it will be half the description..Now that the car can make headlines about it's long-awatied improvements, the name will be the thing everyone remembers, and sometimes giggles about. Its in a great position to knock off some stagnant Avalon sales too, but as a 500, not the long-time Camry competitor Taurus. Stupid move.

The idea of the car was brilliant, only hampered by wating for the right engine. It was supposed to be a 'class of one' product, now its putting itself back in the mix of the mid-size vehicles, at least in shopper's minds.

Edited by kevinb120

I don't know, its basing recognition on the name when it was good 20 years ago to when it was pure rental last year. Anyone under 30 won't think of a Taurus as a class leader. It depends on how you feel if someone asks you what you drive, would you rather say 'A Taurus' or a 'Five Hundred'. My 50+ year old customers think of the 500 as the 'new Taurus' from day one and like it, my younger customers won't touch a Taurus with a 20' pole but will look at the 500.

Thats why you have Fusion to sell them...

• 3 weeks later...

I think bringing back the Taurus and Sable names was a GREAT idea, and I think now they have something to advertise and champion a great vehicle, that will be even greater with over 260hp under the hood to go with great styling and a famous name.

Plus, keeping the name improves the chances that the car will win the coveted "Car of the Year" award from Motor Trend.... now won't THAT be something to trumpet in the streets!

"Ford Taurus... 2008 Motor Trend Car of the Year..."

THAT WOULD BE SWEET!!