Rumor: Boss engine canceled

Roadrunner

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought they debuted in the 93 Lincolns?

Either weay, the trucks were the volume that allowed them to be made cheaply enough to be put into Mustangs.

Same with the Boss. Truck volume.

And we are talking about when to launch them specifically in trucks.

So I really sont see introducing them the eyar before the redesign. Especially when that redesign will have the revised floorpan to allow a 6 speed tranny.

Lincolns first, it moved to the mustang in model year 96, both 2v and 4v variants.

It only took about a year to retool for Duratec 35 production and get it ramped up. I don't see why it would take any longer for the Boss engines to be tooled up for in another plant.

one source claims that the Boss will be ready for production by the end of summer, they are already installing machinery at Romeo, so production tolling is already happening.

I have a $5 wager with Biker16 whether the new F150 will get the BOSS in its first year or not .. of course i said it would.

Igor

Edited by igor

one source claims that the Boss will be ready for production by the end of summer, they are already installing machinery at Romeo, so production tolling is already happening.

I have a $5 wager with Biker16 whether the new F150 will get the BOSS in its first year or not .. of course i said it would.

Igor

It takes much more than a year to purchase, engineer, install and commission the equipment.

I heard they stopped work on some of the install. It is definately not a certainty this will go ahead. I see no possibility the new F-150 will launch without the 5.4l.

BlueII's post today:

"A few updates:

The Boss has not been cancelled. There are a few bumps in the road but no show stoppers. Powertrain now reports directly Kuszak.

The 5.4 and 6.8 will go away.

On this past Monday Mullaly drove a Twin Force F-150 mule and loved it"

The 5.4L and 6.8L are not going anywhere!!!!!

I work at CCP and the 6.8L,4.6L will be limited and the the 5.4L will be cut but the 5.4L production will be double the 6.2L Boss.

The Boss name has been dropped from the Hurricane. It is now referred to as "Premium V-8". Not sure why. Other news is a 7 liter will be built and tested at Roush.

WTF?? "premium V8"??? How stupid is Ford??

First they decide not to call it Hurricane now they drop the Boss name and leave it nameless?? Let me guess, it was the decision by Ford's suicidal marketing imbeciles at work again?

Just when you think they couldn't get any dumber they go and show everybody otherwise... :nonono: I'm really starting to not care anymore, Ford sure as fuck doesn't care about competing.. I'm sure they will somehow cheap out on this engine and screw it up...

Hurricane is a stupid name for an engine anyway. Who cares what it's named, as long as it's produced.

It was Boss that he's talking about, and I think Hurricane for a powerful V8 is a great name as well, why would Ford throw away their heritage by not using a great name like Boss for their new engine series?

If it has no name, it will have no image, what will people say when asked on the street which engine they have in their 2011 Mustangs? "Dude, I got the new um.. er... umm.... optional V8..." What on Earth is that? Probably will mistake it for the mod...

This sure is a "bold move"... :rolleyes:

Doesn't the Shinoda family still own rights to the "Boss" moniker? Perhaps it was a legal issue.

Or, perhaps they have the rights, but are choosing to use it on a Boss Mustang instead. If the Boss Mustang isn't using one of the new V8 engines (good possibility if it comes out within the next 12-24 months), then it would just be confusing or misleading.

I'm going to SWAG it and say with the last round of buyouts the guy that named the engine retired. A new manager wanting to make a name for himself probably canned the Boss moniker. Boss is even cast into the valley area. Now they will have to change the tooling.

I'm pretty sure Ford negotiated with the Shinoda family for the name, because a Boss Mustang should be forth coming. Let's hope they don't call it Triton II.

Fields needs to step up and fix this.

Mustangs with different sized motors, all with the name Boss stenciled on the fender. Just like the F-150.

Actually, the name BOSS did apply to the engines. The Mustangs with the outline (not stenciled) lettering were special models crafted around their engines.

The BOSS (all caps on purpose) 302, 351, and 429 were enough different from their Windsor/Cleveland/Thunder Jet brethren that some parts are not interchangeable.

I have an old 1985 "Ford High Performance" Magazine in front of me with a Ford Motorsport catalog bound into it. Ford specifically describes the BOSS engines separately from their "normal" engines.

I'm going to SWAG it and say with the last round of buyouts the guy that named the engine retired. A new manager wanting to make a name for himself probably canned the Boss moniker. Boss is even cast into the valley area. Now they will have to change the tooling.

I'm pretty sure Ford negotiated with the Shinoda family for the name, because a Boss Mustang should be forth coming. Let's hope they don't call it Triton II.

Fields needs to step up and fix this.

Ford didn't need to negotiate with the Shinoda family. They own the Boss name not Shinoda. Do a search of the US Patent & Trademark database and you'll see I'm right.

Actually, the name BOSS did apply to the engines. The Mustangs with the outline (not stenciled) lettering were special models crafted around their engines.

The BOSS (all caps on purpose) 302, 351, and 429 were enough different from their Windsor/Cleveland/Thunder Jet brethren that some parts are not interchangeable.

I have an old 1985 "Ford High Performance" Magazine in front of me with a Ford Motorsport catalog bound into it. Ford specifically describes the BOSS engines separately from their "normal" engines.

You're right sytran. The Boss 302 used "Cleveland" style heads for better breathing along with other performance upgrades. Thw Boss 429 was Ford's version of the HEMI or "Semi Hemi". It was completely separate from the 429 Thunderjets and Cobra Jets. Substantial underhood mods were required to get it to fit in the Mustang. The purpose was for NASCAR competition in the Torino body. I can't remember what the differences were between the 351 Cleveland/Wnndsor and the Boss 351.

You're right sytran. The Boss 302 used "Cleveland" style heads for better breathing along with other performance upgrades. Thw Boss 429 was Ford's version of the HEMI or "Semi Hemi". It was completely separate from the 429 Thunderjets and Cobra Jets. Substantial underhood mods were required to get it to fit in the Mustang. The purpose was for NASCAR competition in the Torino body. I can't remember what the differences were between the 351 Cleveland/Wnndsor and the Boss 351.

The Boss 351 is all Cleveland. Take a stock 4 bolt main block and add: hardened main caps, maged crankshaft, steel rods with 3/8th bolts, 11.7:1 pistons, hotter mechanical cam, adjustable rockers, stronger valve springs & push rods, aluminum intake, bigger carb, dual point dist.

All this added up to Ford's best small block of the muscle era. Every bit as good as Chevy's excellent LT-1

Mustangs with different sized motors, all with the name Boss stenciled on the fender. Just like the F-150.

Rember Pioneer the Boss engines found homes in other cars Rember the very rare 429 boss Cougar and the 302 Boss Eliminator Cougars.

Not sure if the 351 Boss found a home in anything else but a Mustang.

Matthew

Edited by matthewq4b

My understanding is that the Windsor engine had a smaller and lighter block. The Cleveland engine's block is a little bigger and could be taken to higher displacements and was better for high performance applications.

Edited by peterstern

The 351 Windsor was an outgrowth of the 221/260/289 and 302 small block ford V8. Basically higher deck, longer stroke, longer con rods. It was designed to replace the FE series 352 in a smaller and lighter package. They called it 351 but in reality, it like the 351 Cleveland had exactly the same displacement as the 352, ie 351.858cubic inches!

The 351 Cleveland came later, around 1970. The Boss 351 was a high performance version of the 351 Cleveland with all the good stuff, high compression, forged crank and pistons and about 330 net hp on the B curve.

When the compression ratio's started to go down around 1971/1972 model years, Ford came out with the 351 Cobrajet. This engine was another Cleveland 351 adjusted for lower compression. Power was down in the 290 hp B curve. I remember because at that time, around 1971 I worked at Ford and remember testing the 351 Cobrajet on the Ford Dearborn test Track. I think it was in a Ford Torino 2 dr. with 4 on the floor.

I think Ford did offer a 351 Windsor with a four barrel carberator until the 351Cleveland came out!

The interesting thing about all these engines was they all had the same bore spacing, 4.38".

The Windsor was lighter and easier to pass emissions with. 1975 is when the first year for catalytic converters used on cars. The focus then was on passing emissions and improving fuel economy!

Ford kept performance alive with the Mustang Turbo 4, followed by the Mustang V8's The Mustang V8 didn't do anything great until Ford put a Holley 4 barrel and Borg Warner 5 speed manual into the product. I think this was done in the 1983 time period.

It will be interesting to see how Ford does with this new Boss/Hurricane V8???? Let me know how the development is going if anyone knows. Im retired after

I'd like to see Ford coin it the "Cammer V8". Cammer 5.8, Cammer 6.2, Cammer 7.0 - I personally like the nod/connection to the 657 hp 427 Cammer and the 5.0L Cammers that have done so well in Grand Am Cup. Not to mention that "Cammer" highlights the engines only notable technical departure from it's similar displacement competition from GM and DCX. The Boss-moniker created all kinds of confusion about the new engine thanks primarly to FRPPs new line of 302-based Boss crate engines. The only downfall I can see to the Cammer-moniker is that some might argue that it sounds too much like "Camry". Regardless, I think Cammer sounds less camp than Boss; not that Boss is a bad name or anything...just my preference and honest opinion.

I'd like to see Ford coin it the "Cammer V8". Cammer 5.8, Cammer 6.2, Cammer 7.0 - I personally like the nod/connection to the 657 hp 427 Cammer and the 5.0L Cammers that have done so well in Grand Am Cup. Not to mention that "Cammer" highlights the engines only notable technical departure from it's similar displacement competition from GM and DCX. The Boss-moniker created all kinds of confusion about the new engine thanks primarly to FRPPs new line of 302-based Boss crate engines. The only downfall I can see to the Cammer-moniker is that some might argue that it sounds too much like "Camry". Regardless, I think Cammer sounds less camp than Boss; not that Boss is a bad name or anything...just my preference and honest opinion.

Would please the tech-heads, but I think the term would be lost on the majority of the public. Most people don't know what the heck a camshaft is.

Would please the tech-heads, but I think the term would be lost on the majority of the public. Most people don't know what the heck a camshaft is.

Most people don't know what the heck a Hemi, Triton, or Vortec is either. If Ford named it Cammer, it would at least be worth a few mentions upon introduction that Ford, not Chrysler or GM, produced the most powerful engine of the 60s and get a few mentions of Ford's success in GA Cup. And if potential customers ever wondered why it was called "Cammer", the salesman could explain it by saying that it is "advanced overhead cam technology that is superior to the outdated 1950s OHV technology used by GM and DCX", whether true or not it could highlight a potential competitive advantage, much like Hemi does for the Chrysler engines. Oh well, what do I know.

Edited by White99GT