2009 Fusion

ds91776

Pretty much every automaker cept Ford and Honda, have moved on to 3.5L offerings...

Sebring/Avenger 3.5L

Camry 3.5L

Galant 3.8L

Altima 3.5L

Malibu 3.6L

Passat 3.6L

Again...Ford is thinking of debuting a '09 model with a 3.0L ? Unless that sucker isn't Turbocharged with at least 280HP, dont bother.

Again, releasing new vehicles with yesturyears engines...

Sign me up in agreement. I don't care about the babble citing the Mazda 6 as the "performance" version...the above have those engines as their V6 option, and the Accord will be up-gunning as well. "Spunky underdog" is only cute through one generation.

If Ford is determined to handicap the Fusion with less, then I suggest only sending Milans and the 6 to future comparisons. I'm among those who want Fords to be the trendsetter for mainstram cars, not the discount bin rejects.

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If by 2009 the Fusion still doesn't have the D35 it will be a total failure, es[ecially considering how they are marketing the car as "more sporty" and "more fun" than the competition. How can that be when it gets it's doors blown off?

Let's back those commercials up with something, there is nothing fizzly and shap about being dead last in powertrain... The norm for Ford...

The D35 should be in the 08 Fusion at the latest.. If it's not in the 09, might as well kill the poor thing.. :nonono:

It better be a LOT more than a new radio, bumper, taillights and a still class-trailing 240 HP 3.0.

Ford. You really, really, really suck.

The 3.0 PIP 240 HP engine is being used in the mix to better Ford's CAFE. The 2.0 GTDI I4 should be north of 260 HP and will be in the Fusion.

Probably depends on what gas prices do as to whether or not the lack of the D35 will be a hindrance to the Fusion. As for considering Mazda in the "marketing" plans as equal to Ford, Mercury and Lincoln.... that makes no sense. Most people off the street have no idea that Mazda is in any way related to Ford.

I just hope we see a plug in hybrid for all the green people out there.... something tells me we won't be first to market with that either though...... :finger:

uh guys, dont want to burst your "240 isnt enough power thing" but the Avenger and Seabring have 235 hp as does the much better Sonata. The important thing is this. With 221 hp the Fusion does pretty well. With 19+ extra hp it will be more than "pretty good." Remember, the 500 with a 203 hp engine did just as well as a rwd 300 3.5 v6 with 250 hp. the Fusion is still pretty light for its class, so having 240 sounds just fine for me.

Well if the sonata and chryslers offerings sold worth a damn and had any merit in this segment then maybe you'd have a point but Ford shouldn't be trying to simply out do the owrst in class but reaching for the leaders which THEY AREN'T DOING.And it is why they constantly fail. They hardly ever compete in the current gen and their models are always 1 generation behind in offerings and competiveness. They stepped it up with the fusion with AWD and soon Hybrid but their premium engine offering in the Fusion is not competitive and the fact that the new offering won't be competitive either is nothing but another joke coming out of Ford.

What a great idea! lets shove a 300 HP engine in a freakin FWD.

Whut? people are complainin'? dern, lets put AWD there.

Yep, what do we get from all of this? Low FE, worse CAFE ratings!

I don't see why you people are complaining, no automaker will break the 280 HP point in this segement.

I don't see why you people are complaining, no automaker will break the 280 HP point in this segement.

well the Altima 3.5 V6 is tuned to 306hp on premium .. but you are right effective HP n that engine is at best at 280hp on regular.

Igor

We're complaining because Ford is certainly not going to win any customers by offering less than the competition. Toyota, the current sales leader, offers a far more powerful optional V6 that ALSO gets better fuel economy than Ford's smaller, less powerful V6 offering. That's BAD NEWS. How does Ford think that offering a smaller, less powerful and less FE V6 going to win customers?

We're complaining because Ford is certainly not going to win any customers by offering less than the competition. Toyota, the current sales leader, offers a far more powerful optional V6 that ALSO gets better fuel economy than Ford's smaller, less powerful V6 offering. That's BAD NEWS. How does Ford think that offering a smaller, less powerful and less FE V6 going to win customers?

you have seen the final MPG numbers on the new engine?

that's what i thought .. how about you wait untill they announce them before you declare the engine a failure. Finally... we also do not know the 0-60 etc .. if Ford can make a car as fast as a Camry, but have smaller, more efficient engine to do it, then why not?

Finally ... you probably missed the news about a 3rd most powerful engine for the regular Fusion: 260hp 2.0lGTDI;

regardless .. all this is rumor and speculation - let's wait for the final numbers ... in August people declared the Expedition and especially Navigator a HUGE FAILURE because of the looks .. and look at that sales - pretty nice increase ...

Igor

once new CAFE standards are set up engine size and horsepower will be going down anyways... not that it is an excuse but I wouldn't be getting all worked up over it...

This is only a hunch on my part, but I would tend to think that a direct injection 3.5 making 290-300 HP would likely get better fuel economy than a 240 HP 3.0.

There is NO excuse for the cruddy power in the Fusion, period. Everyone else can make power but Ford so don't blame it on CAFE.

Why? Because I'm pointing out government regulations are making some kind of stability control mandatory? Ford has proven, with ABS and side impact air bags, that if there is no requirement for them, they offer them as options but not as standard equipment.

It could've been the drool spatter concerning steering wheels being optional equipment. Tell you what, if any employee of mine ran down a company product like you do, that pink slip would've been issued quickly.

With as much negative crap as you dish at Ford, you should find a scrap of honor and quit. Otherwise, you're not just a negatoid...you're lower than animals that know better than to s*** where they eat.

:nonono:

240 hp looks very paltry on paper especially when the class leaders are sporting 265 hp and up. On the flip side of that if the DI 2L is being introduced with performance increases I really see nothing to balk at.

I'm going to stay tight lip'd about this one until further data (hard evidence) is trickled down to us common folks. As is with a programmer and a new air intake I do believe FWD Fusions are running 0-60 times in the high 6s-7 sec range.

I have a question;

Is the D30 still in production because:

a) D35 Production is stretched to the maximum because of all the car's it's going into?

b) Is this just to keep the production line open?

c) Combination of both?

IMHO, the D30 has been a good engine in its best configurations (Lincoln LS, Jaguar S-Type) and this PIP sounds like a step in the right direction in order to get the D35 up and running. It seems that Ford has over-extended themselves with this engine and doesn't want to push them out the door in case of failures. A major engine failure for the D35 would really hurt Ford. In the meantime, while we look at VVT (intake and exhaust, GDI, Variable Intake, etc.) for the D35, lets also look at getting this stuff in the D30. Why not? Is it cost, time what?

Sorry, that's two questions.

Edited by Hugh

Overall, I like the CD3's and this is a step in the right direction. Considering the interior improvements (looks nice in the Escape BTW) and a improved engine. Sure it's not class-beating and it will get hammered by the press and die-hards. Yet IT IS A STEP IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION (disclaimer: this is firm not shouting). Many times there are posts and complains of letting product wither on the vine. This is much much better then maintaining the status quo. It may be good for some here and not enough for others here yet Ford is doing something with the ads (love em or hate em) and the improvements. Ford is blatnenly showing how important this product is top them.

Good Luck Ford.

And it's not like I don't have many posts praising my Explorer, my SHO, or every other product I have ever owned from this company.

And, if every employee was to quit that had a negative impression of any Ford product, there would be no one left, including Alan and Mark. We are individual thinkers, not atomotons programmed to believe everything we make is superior and without fault. I only see fault where there is fault to see. Half assed redesigns, uncompetitive products being introduced into the marketplace. As a shareholder, and as an employee, I have every right to question the decisions that are being made to this company, just as you have every right to blindly believe everything Ford makes is superior..

There's a difference between holding an opinion and riding employer's product into the ground on what is a worldwide forum. I've driven the object of your unending bile several times now, and it does drive and handle with or better than its competitors. The awd model will be in a different orbit than the Legacy, whose road manners I've found to be fair at best.

I don't work in a perfect place, but I'm not going to throw its dirty laundry around in public forums. I've taken my issues to management, and gotten changes made. It's called CONSTRUCTIVE EFFORT, and I'd say it's about 10,000% more effective than 2 years of burrito jokes.

The lack of standard ABS in this segment is a shameful omission, scarring a competitive vehicle.

the ABS is standard, ESP will be offered in 09 (maybe even 08 already) - and once it is offered it will be standard.

I assume you mean "ABS is standard" on the '09? It's still listed as an option on all trim levels.

Edited by Noah Harbinger