Ford issues stop sale, recall of 6.4L Powerstroke diesel

Deanh

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It’s 1975 all over again. When Ford first starting using catalectic mufflers, they did not work; it took a full year of production to figure it out, and the customers suffered badly.

The GM DPF system for diesels already had two full years and 60,000 units running in Japan. It appears (too early to tell really), that the highest percentage of bugs are “out” of their system. It appears they have really tested their new diesels. I have two close friends that work at the GM dealership level, in the shop…….and they still say “wait a year before you buy one”.

Ford’s marketing hype for the new diesel is just that – hype. Ford is still at the bottom of the stack when it comes to “engineering” and “QA”. It’s just not there. Their so called “miles of testing” is a farce.

Yes it is true they have made some significant improvements; but it is still way too little, way too late.

I am happy to have gotten my 06 F250 out of the shop (after two weeks and three months of poop); because now they are completely overwhelmed with diesel work both old and new.

Ford needs to offer: Value, First Class Engineering, First Class Quality; in order to be competitive. I know that I expect a lot more for my $50,000 purchase.

Actually, its usually agreed that Ford has a more reliable product than gm or chrysler. Even CR...shock...

Actually, its usually agreed that Ford has a more reliable product than gm or chrysler. Even CR...shock...

I'd just ignore him, he's a troll that just pisses on Ford trucks...thats his only use here

All I have to say is this has to be coolest defect ever on a truck...who the hell wouldn't want a F-450 that shoots flames out of its tailpipe!

They better resolve this quick. They need to figure out how to regen the filters even without driving and just at idle. At the refinery where I work it's 99% Ford trucks out here. Most are F-150's but we have about 30 SD diesels and most contractors are SD diesels also. So there is roughly 100 Powerstrokes in the yard on any given day. Our trucks never leave the yard. At most they'll go 25mph from one end of the yard to the other. The rest of the time they might idle at a location for a minute or two then they are shut off (refinery rules). I'm afraid when our fleet gets older and needs new trucks Ford might get skipped for a fire hazard. I would also like to know how close you can stand next to the tailpipe while a regen is happening. Can you imagine walking by your bed to get something and frying your leg?

They better resolve this quick. They need to figure out how to regen the filters even without driving and just at idle. At the refinery where I work it's 99% Ford trucks out here. Most are F-150's but we have about 30 SD diesels and most contractors are SD diesels also. So there is roughly 100 Powerstrokes in the yard on any given day. Our trucks never leave the yard. At most they'll go 25mph from one end of the yard to the other. The rest of the time they might idle at a location for a minute or two then they are shut off (refinery rules). I'm afraid when our fleet gets older and needs new trucks Ford might get skipped for a fire hazard. I would also like to know how close you can stand next to the tailpipe while a regen is happening. Can you imagine walking by your bed to get something and frying your leg?

Well the fact that they DON'T regen at idle makes your scenario of walking past the tailpipe and getting burned quite impossible....unless you're one heck of a fast walker. :)

I hope you aren't talking about marine emission standards because compaired to road vehicles they are a joke. The 2003 Mercruiser 250HP V8 (gasoline) in my boat has a carburetor with a PCV valve as the only emission control device and it scored a marine 3-star ultra low emission rating by the California Air Resource Board (CARB). Marine emission standards are very different, no cats, no EGR, no air pumps, and engines that are fuel injected don't even have closed loop operation (no 02 sensors) and they pass all 2007 emission standards. Marine manufacturers are finally phasing out carburetors next year.

That is in the US, Marine emmsions in the EU are considerably more strick as are current diesel emmisions in larger trucks the EU company's are having to already use Urea in thier trucks to meet emmisions.

You have to remember boat use in the EU is not limited to coastal areas as a good portion of the country's are laced with canals.

The Volvo 5.5L was designed to be upgraded to meet all levals of emmisions except for cars (Since they will never be installed in one any ways). They are working on getting the 5.5L road ready for their FL cab overs (12- 18 tonne).

Ford will have to go to an out side supplier just like every one else has. The probelm with building a Diesel for this application is the cost involved. Also today Diesel tech is advancing so fast you have to be right on top of things to remain cutting edge.

Volvo Penta has advanced through 3 generations of Diesel engines in the last 10 years in their medium weight engines to remain current and on the leading edge of the tech. Ford has neither the resources or funds to maintain this leval of R&D in a specialized unit specific engine. The PSD's used in the SD's can not really be put in any thing else.

The FL is currently using a modenized version of the old Penta 7L I6 that was retired from Penta service a few years back (it could not meet the future marine emmisions with out cats unlike the 5.5L) The Penta 7.0L was replaced with the more powerfull cleaner and efficiant 5.5L in boat apps . The trucks can carry the nessesary gear to allow the 7.0L to meet emissions . It will only be a few years befor the 7.0L in the FL and FE's is replaced by the more powerfull and efficiant 5.5L.

Unlike Navi, Volvo (especially Penta) has a rep to maintain in the diesel engine industry they would not repeat Navi's fiasco's.

The current Diesels (even the 6.4) used in NA P/U trucks are are almost a decade behind the stuff comming out of Penta today.

Why not lead the pack for a change.

Matthew

Is dual exhaust an option? I want that on both sides.

Can the driver make it happen on demand? like when the idiot beside you at the stoplight has his radio cranked up. Or when an officer is walking up to your truck with a speeding ticket. "Uh...sorry officer...I didn't know it would do that."

Not so funny driving away from the gas station though.

Or if I'm passing one of these on a motorcycle.

Edited by F250

Heres a Q & A from Ford.

ATTACHMENT IV

Safety Recall 07S49

Certain 2008 F-250/350/450/550 Vehicles Equipped with a 6.4L Diesel Engine - Powertrain Control Module Recalibration

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Questions and Answers

Q1. Is this a safety recall?

A1. Yes, this is a Ford-initiated voluntary safety recall.

Q2. What is the cause of the tailpipe issue?

A2. In rare instances, the diesel particulate filter can generate excessive temperatures that could result in flame at the tailpipe.

Q3. What causes the excessive temperatures in the diesel particulate filter?

A3. A build up of hydrocarbons within the filter. Under normal circumstances, the diesel particulate filter collects particulate matter from the exhaust and then safely burns it to clean the filter. A build up of hydrocarbons in the filter may cause higher temperatures than necessary for cleaning.

Q4. What is the source of the hydrocarbons and how do they reach the filter?

A4. Hydrocarbons are found in fluids such as engine coolant, engine oil and diesel fuel. Normally, these fluids do not reach the exhaust. However, in rare circumstances, a leak within the engine could cause these fluids to enter the exhaust system and reach the filter.

Q5. How does fuel or oil reach the exhaust system?

A5. Some possible examples are a fuel injector stuck open or a leaking turbo shaft seal.

Q6. What are potential symptoms a driver may notice if they experience this concern before the recall is performed?

A6. In the rare case that vehicle owners experience this concern, the Check Engine indicator lamp in the instrument cluster may illuminate, and they may note a lack of power or rough engine operation. They may also hear abnormal noise from the engine or the exhaust and possibly see white smoke or a flame emitting from the exhaust tailpipe.

Q7. After the recall repair is performed, what symptoms will the customer notice if the PCM detects excessive heat from the DPF?

A7. The system acts to prevent any flame from emitting from the tailpipe. The software will reduce fuel flow and air flow to the engine to allow the diesel particulate filter to cool. If an over temperature event occurs, the driver of the vehicle will notice the following:

The Check Engine indicator lamp in the instrument cluster will flash, warning the driver to pull over to the side of the road as soon as safely possible.

Engine RPM will be reduced to idle after 3 – 5 seconds. Power steering and power braking assist will not be affected but the customer will not be able to accelerate the vehicle beyond idle speed.

Q8. Have there been any reports of fires caused by a Super Duty?

A8. As of the date of this publication, we received a single report of a grass fire, with no injuries. We have received only three reports to date of flame from the tailpipe across the U.S. and Canada.

Q9. I have heard that installing the new PCM program could cause the ABS light or Check Engine light to remain illuminated?

A9. Many dealers have completed the PCM reprogramming using IDS without any concerns. We have identified a few common concerns that have been experienced. Here are some tips to follow:

Make sure that your IDS is updated to release 48.5 Patch 3 or later. You can verify your level by viewing the "System Utilities" screen.

If the correct last 8 digits of the VIN cannot be viewed from the vehicle ID screen on the IDS, please enter them manually.

If after reprogramming you have hard fault P1639 or P1635, please perform Programmable Module Installation for the PCM in the same IDS session. Do not delete the current session as this will take longer to correct.

Be sure to pull and clear all Continuous Memory Diagnostic Trouble Codes (CMDTC's) after the PCM reprogramming is completed. If you don't do this, it is possible that indicator lights could be illuminated.

When you have completed the PCM reprogramming on an affected vehicle, be sure to close the session before connecting to the next vehicle. Do not use the same IDS session to reprogram several different trucks. Every vehicle needs to have its own IDS session to ensure the correct information is used to reprogram each PCM.

Q10. When will you begin mailing customer letters?

A10. We expect to begin mailing customer letters the week of April 2, 2007.

Q11. Should owners stop driving their vehicles?

A11. We are not instructing customers to stop driving their vehicles. Customers should, however, take their vehicles to their Ford dealer to receive the software update as soon as possible.

Q12. Will the condition occur when the vehicle is shut off?

A12. No, the condition does not occur when the engine is off.

Q13. Are there any other changes associated with this calibration that a customer may notice?

A13. Yes. This calibration will also address other drivability and Check Engine indicator light concerns that could be experienced during normal operation. Please refer to Special Service Message (SSM) 19683 for further details.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wait until the county fairs, air shows start up this summer and the trucks with the 6.4L PSD get parked on tall grass. :redcard:

Grass fires spread fast with little wind. :ohsnap:

More lawsuits and less sales. :banghead:

At least the problems I've had with my 6.0L PSD don't look so bad now. :hysterical:

Edited by mettech

Wait until the county fairs, air shows start up this summer and the trucks with the 6.4L PSD get parked on tall grass. :redcard:

Grass fires spread fast with little wind. :ohsnap:

More lawsuits and less sales. :banghead:

At least the problems I've had with my 6.0L PSD don't look so bad now. :hysterical:

All of ours up running and re-flashed...truck really is awesome....small hiccup dealt with expediently by Ford which is GREAT! Hopefully it is smooth sailing from now on....

Unlike Navi, Volvo (especially Penta) has a rep to maintain in the diesel engine industry they would not repeat Navi's fiasco's.

The current Diesels (even the 6.4) used in NA P/U trucks are are almost a decade behind the stuff comming out of Penta today.

Which does make you wonder why Ford doesnt tap Volvo for their SD Diesels, does Volvo Truck not have manufacturing in North America? I mean who else is left? Id have to assume Ford owns the PowerStroke name so Volvo doesnt have to be plastered anywhere on the truck.

Edited by one2gamble

Well the fact that they DON'T regen at idle makes your scenario of walking past the tailpipe and getting burned quite impossible....unless you're one heck of a fast walker. :)

I talked with a technician today from the Ford Powerstroke Tour. They came to a dealership near me. He said it will regen even at idle and last about 15 min. You can apparently stand near the tailpipe by not right in front of it. The trucks rpms will increase at idle to about 1200rpm's, that's how you know the filters are being regened. The flame problem was from too much fuel being injected during the regen. The fix is already out and shouldn't happen... we'll wait and see.