BREAKING: Ford Flex Crossover

igor

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

question a lack of B-pillar...especially on a vehicle of this size...can we say...FLEX-y

well, in the case of the Element, the B-pillar is kind of built into the rear door. When it is closed, it forms a pretty sturdy side structure element. I suppose it might be an issue if you make a habit of driving with your doors open though. :)

I'll say again: it's not coming out this September. Take that to the bank.

It might come out September 15th, but it won't be THIS September 15th.

Swizco

We all ought to know by now that Ford Job 1 dates are not even remotely connected to vehicle launch dates.

Even if the Sept. 15 launch date was accurate, you can bet they wouldn't arrive in any kind of volume until November at the earliest.

I'm thinking when the article says "french doors" that perhaps the rear seat door will open in two halves like french doors while the front door remains standard? since its confirmed thats its not truly suicide doors...could that be what the writer meant? i guess we'll soon find out..

Edited by sierraman

I'm thinking when the article says "french doors" that perhaps the rear seat door will open in two halves like french doors while the front door remains standard? since its confirmed thats its not truly suicide doors...could that be what the writer meant? i guess we'll soon find out..

I doubt that's the case, but I think your concept would be VERY cool if done correctly:

If both halves of the "french door" were linked by a hydraulic or gear linkage so both halves opened by pulling on one handle, I think that would be really cool. It would elimate the sliding door while also making swing-out distance much smaller compared to a fullsize door. I think it would HAVE to be a one-pull operation though since very few consumers would want to have to pull both sides shut or open individually.

Several fullsize vans used to (some still do maybe?) have a side door arrangement similar to this, but each side of the door had to be operated independently, which is what I think led to their demise.

well, in the case of the Element, the B-pillar is kind of built into the rear door. When it is closed, it forms a pretty sturdy side structure element. I suppose it might be an issue if you make a habit of driving with your doors open though. :)

yeah the suicdide door would be a doozie wind brake....that said i think I would prefer a B pillar, just for the sake of comfortable seatbelts, more overall rigidity and less likelihood for squeaks and rattles down the road....but keep the suicide door for sure...anything different is great word of mouth free advertising....get people talking...somehow i doubt it though...

CRAP CRAP CRAP CRAP CRAP CRAP CRAP !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OK .. I have it out of my system .. so no suicide doors, no 9/15/07 job one ...

OK!!! ..

well I will still go see it in New York ..

any of you insiders have any idea what is it that article calls "French Doors"? or did they pull that one out of their behind as well?

Igor

flex???? come on ford. you've been talking name recognition ever since you brought the taurus back out and now you change the fairlane, which i believe would have a good amount of recognition, to the flex which has no recognition at all. who is running this company?

suicide doors have not yet been confirmed according to autoblog although they are a possibility...

flex???? come on ford. you've been talking name recognition ever since you brought the taurus back out and now you change the fairlane, which i believe would have a good amount of recognition, to the flex which has no recognition at all. who is running this company?

suicide doors have not yet been confirmed according to autoblog although they are a possibility...

could be worse..they could pull a Chevy and name it something like "Impact"....WHAT WERE THEY THINKING??????

Flex is, IMO, a pretty good name. I'm not a naming expert, so I can't come up with five or six better off the top of my head.

The name has good phonaesthetics in combination with "Ford", as does "Fusion" (Freestar & Freestyle don't). It also has a bit more meaning for the target audience than "Fairlane"--an aristocratic name that may have struck potential customers as a trifle pretentious.

Flex is, IMO, a pretty good name. I'm not a naming expert, so I can't come up with five or six better off the top of my head.

The name has good phonaesthetics in combination with "Ford", as does "Fusion" (Freestar & Freestyle don't). It also has a bit more meaning for the target audience than "Fairlane"--an aristocratic name that may have struck potential customers as a trifle pretentious.

Well, it's certainly better than the alphabet soup going on over at Lincoln. UGH!! :finger:

not sure about Flex...sounds "Rubbery"....why not fairlane...was nothing wrong with that...

not sure about Flex...sounds "Rubbery"....why not fairlane...was nothing wrong with that...

Probably didn't sound right to the people being asked to fork over 30 large for it.

And if you think about these people: They aren't drawn to 'aristocratic' type names--about the closest they get to it is letting their kids shop at the (sadly eviscerated) Abercrombie & Fitch.