Fired Toyota Workers: Unfairly Blamed for Confidential Memo Leak

range

Source: Automotive News

Fired Toyota workers: We didn't leak memo

LEXINGTON, Ky. -- Two ex-Toyota workers claim they have been unfairly blamed for leaking an embarrassing memo to the media that lays out the automaker's desire to reduce U.S. wages.

"They claim that they were offered the chance to resign from Toyota, but both refused. They instead opted for a "peer review," a Toyota process that allows employees to plead their case to a five-person jury of fellow workers and company management.

"In both cases, the peer reviews agreed with Riddell and Eades' plea of innocence. But Toyota management overturned the reviews and terminated the two anyway, the ex-employees claim."

LEXINGTON, Ky. -- Two ex-Toyota workers claim they have been unfairly blamed for leaking an embarrassing memo to the media that lays out the automaker's desire to reduce U.S. wages.

"They claim that they were offered the chance to resign from Toyota, but both refused. They instead opted for a "peer review," a Toyota process that allows employees to plead their case to a five-person jury of fellow workers and company management.

"In both cases, the peer reviews agreed with Riddell and Eades' plea of innocence. But Toyota management overturned the reviews and terminated the two anyway, the ex-employees claim."

Well if they had a Union,,,,,

What is there to investigate? Toyota did it.

If Automotive News "investigates" Toyota calls and threatens to reduce their investment in ad dollars from where it stands to $0.00.

Guess who won that round? It's nothing new and nothing will change until the south starts to embrace the Union. We're about 12-18 months away from that happening.

The South will be watching what happens with the UAW/Detroit talks this Summer. If they go well, the UAW has that to present to the plants that are not organized. If talks fail...well...then we're all screwed. My biggest worry is Delphi.

Edited by Josh Oliver

I say bring in the UAW and force all the healthcare and benefits and rights that the domestic manufacturers have dealt with...it will completly re-calibrate their World Domination theory and level the playing field and either raise their selling prices to counter or lower their profitability...one of the reasons for domestics lack of competitiveness is that they HAVE looked after and catered to their emplyees moreso than others....at least when it comes to profitability.....a sad reflection of the times is that taking care of someone better than another can have negetive ramifications.....

Edited by Deanh

I say bring in the UAW and force all the health care and benefits and rights that the domestic manufacturers have dealt with...it will completly re-calibrate their World Domination theory and level the playing field and either raise their selling prices to counter or lower their profitability...one of the reasons for domestics lack of competitiveness is that they HAVE looked after and catered to their emplyees moreso than others....at least when it comes to profitability.....a sad reflection of the times is that taking care of someone better than another can have negetive ramifications.....
Oh, puh-lease. There was nothing altruistic at all about the healthcare and benefits programs from the Big 3. They did that so they wouldn't have to pay more wages. Now that health care costs have skyrocketed, they've been caught with their pants down...while bending over. No reason to fault Toyota in my eyes. If the UAW organized, I wouldn't be surprised if new product was transferred over to a new plant. Also, if/when any of the Big 3 file Chapter 11, those beloved health benefits that they so generously give to the UAW will be gone faster than you can say "$5 co-pay". UAW has to adapt or die.

I say bring in the UAW and force all the healthcare and benefits and rights that the domestic manufacturers have dealt with...it will completly re-calibrate their World Domination theory and level the playing field and either raise their selling prices to counter or lower their profitability...one of the reasons for domestics lack of competitiveness is that they HAVE looked after and catered to their emplyees moreso than others....at least when it comes to profitability.....a sad reflection of the times is that taking care of someone better than another can have negetive ramifications.....

Level the playing field? :shades:

Leveling the playing field will be when the UAW line workers have to live like the majority of Americans do. $25 co-pay for Dr., $100 co pay for emergency rooms. Having to pay a sizeable amount of ones own health and life insurance each month. Having to contribute to a 401(k) for ones own retirement instead of having a pension fund. If you screw up on the job you are fired! If the work runs out, you are layed off.

I don't think that is too much to ask to level the playing field. Then perhaps the cars that the domestics build will become even better quality than the imports at a reasonable cost.

Oh, puh-lease. There was nothing altruistic at all about the healthcare and benefits programs from the Big 3. They did that so they wouldn't have to pay more wages. Now that health care costs have skyrocketed, they've been caught with their pants down...while bending over. No reason to fault Toyota in my eyes. If the UAW organized, I wouldn't be surprised if new product was transferred over to a new plant. Also, if/when any of the Big 3 file Chapter 11, those beloved health benefits that they so generously give to the UAW will be gone faster than you can say "$5 co-pay". UAW has to adapt or die.

trust me I have ZERO love for the UAW....tired of everytime Ford seems to be getting back on their feet with a superior product that ALL OF A SUDDEN THEY USE IT AS LEVERAGE AND GO ON STRIKE! kind of what Navistar tried to pull realizing how important the 6.4 was to Ford...BIG DAMN CHESS GAME! It is just sad to me that the domestics are getting penalized for taking slightly better care of their employees than say toyota.....

What is there to investigate? Toyota did it.

If Automotive News "investigates" and Toyota calls and threatens to reduce their investment in ad dollars from where it stands to $0.00.

Guess who won that round? //

Then Automotive News does the right thing, follows the SPJ Code of Ethics, and tells Toyota to f--- off because they do not bend to advertisers' will.

Why is is UAW bashers like to complain that our benefits are too outlandish, but praise the non-union transplants that offer the same thing? :headscratch:

I just don't like abuse of power...whether it be the actual company or the union created to Protect the workers FROM the potential abuse....

They would simply shut down ALL US operations and take their plants either to Mexico or China. How would that sit with all the Yoty fans here in the US?

Interesting. You say you don't like the "abuse of power", but you believe the company should be able to have all power against it's workers.

absolutely not....unions are for compromise...unfortunately sometimes they get too big for their boota and don't know when to stop putting their hands out...and The Manufacturers on the other hands don't want to spend a penny...ahhhh BS at its finest.....

It's al part of being an "Employee-At-Will"...

here is a great article just published April 4th in the Cincinnati Enquier

---- Click Here---> Employee-At-Will ,FIRED for any reason!.

These guys didnt have a chance and still dont!

Edited by BTV to SHV Transferee

Not usually a fan of unions but this is would be a very good and proper use of union power. There have to be checks and balances on both sides or one party gets abused. Unions need to be a partner in the success of the company and the company needs to be a partner in the well being of the employee

I say GOOD fuck em right in their Japanese loving asses. They chose to not get unionized so they now have to pay for those choices. And after this years contract negotiations and WE get screwed I can't wait to see yota hack those guys pay and bennies!!!

So does this mean I will still see the Toyota ads on this site?

Toyota's advertising on this site has done nothing to improve their image among the majority of posters. I doubt their corporate guys even know what is going on here. Let them spend their cash here. I won't be buying anything from them.

As the article points out, at will employment is not a defense to all employment claims. You still can't discriminate or fire for a bad reason. Whistleblower laws, age and gender discrimination laws exist for that reason. In addition, the failure to follow its own procedures can be the basis for a wrongful termination suit. I would expect Toyota to get sued over this.

Edited by Mark B. Morrow